Author Topic: 3.5 mm headphone jack hardware problem.  (Read 2376 times)

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
3.5 mm headphone jack hardware problem.
« on: December 05, 2022, 07:49:06 pm »
Astro 3.5 mm headphone jack produces noise and also affects  radio . Please see :

https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36844.0

https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36845.0

The solution is to buy a usb-c headphone. ( no noise ) or a bluetooth headphone.

I am using an HP headphone usb type C.

But this not solve the problem  of the internal radio, mentioned above.

Maybe Planet can make a radio app that uses usb_c phone as antenna.

Note :
With display is  off or locked  there is no noise   when music is playing but the radio problem persists even with display off.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 05:30:25 am by cam1965 »

sobukus

• View Profile
Re: 3.5 mm headphone jack hardware problem.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 04:57:05 pm »
There is noise with display switched off if the CPU/GPU is doing some work.

I wonder: Is there someone who can report that the Astro does _not_ have digital noise on the analog audio output? Is this a basic design flaw or a production issue?

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 11:26:04 am »
My bet is that all Astros has this issue, to about the same extent.

By their nature, digital signals switches between low and high - zero or one - as immediately as possible. If that leaks into analogue audio, you get snap, crackle and pop. If desired, see, for example, the Wikipedia article on square waves, for more on how digital signals looks from an analogue perspective.

Anything with digital signals and analogue audio has some of this challenge. Things that are actual computers, tends to have more of it. At the clock speeds involved, circuit board traces wants to be (very short range) antennas, making it hard, thus expensive, to stop this noise from going everywhere inside a device.

I think we're seeing an example of the difference between when big brands can spend a million dollars on testing, and when you have to rely on data sheets, and maybe an industry partner more focused on done than on actually good. These things are tricky, so I'm not pointing fingers, just trying to estimate reality.

Edit: Not sure why OESF decorated my text with "size=2px". Hope you can read it now.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 11:30:35 am by Daniel W »

Neophy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 11:49:50 am »
I wonder: Is there someone who can report that the Astro does _not_ have digital noise on the analog audio output? Is this a basic design flaw or a production issue?

So far, I haven't gotten any noise on the headphone output. Tried Power Amp, VLC, and FM Radio, all while using 4G data.

Neophy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 09:40:28 am »
Correction: I get noise on the headphone output if and only if a charger is connected (and powered).

Neophy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 10:43:20 am »
Another correction: I get noise on the headphone output if and only if a charger is connected to the RHS (or bottom in portrait mode) USB connector (and powered). Just connect the charger to the other (LHS/top) USB connector of the Astro Slide to get rid of the noise.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 02:33:53 am »
Another correction: I get noise on the headphone output if and only if a charger is connected to the RHS (or bottom in portrait mode) USB connector (and powered). Just connect the charger to the other (LHS/top) USB connector of the Astro Slide to get rid of the noise.

Ah, so *that's* why I couldn't repeat the issue. Not that I use 3,5mm jack very often - but I have used the top/left usb port for charging.