Author Topic: Silver assistant button  (Read 4192 times)

Yev

• View Profile
Silver assistant button
« on: June 09, 2018, 06:48:42 am »
I've seen lots of mentions of using the silver button to issue voice commands to make calls, do web searches etc.

It doesn't seem to do anything for me, whether my Gemini is open or closed.

Not sure if I disabled it inadvertently but I can't find any settings to customise it etc.

Also the Fn + space shortcut which is supposed to bring up the Google Assistant does nothing on my device.

Gemini Voice Assistant was pre-installed, and I didn't do anything to it.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 01:24:59 pm by Yev »

vader

• View Profile
Silver assistant button
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 10:04:10 pm »
It seems to be a problem with the latest google update (not the recent broken one...). For security, you now need to set up a secure voice to enable voice control when the screen is off. If you are integrated in the googleverse, this shouldn't be a problem. Google will characterise your voice so only you can wake the device. For those who shun google, there seems to be no way around it at the moment. I used it daily, but alas no longer.

joepirello

• View Profile
Silver assistant button
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 12:13:36 am »
You can easily remap the button, root or no root.

smapmap

• View Profile
Silver assistant button
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:45:45 am »
Try deleting the cache for google assistant. It worked for me.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 03:03:13 am by smapmap »

mads

• View Profile
Silver assistant button
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 06:47:27 am »
Quote from: joepirello
how?

Eeems

• View Profile
Silver assistant button
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 12:13:32 am »
Deleting the Google Assistant cache didn't seem to solve the issue.

Quote from: joepirello
Care to expand on how to actually do this?

I've done some poking around with Automate and I can't determine what keyCode the button (or Fn+Space) fires.

Yev

• View Profile
Silver assistant button
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 04:34:52 am »
Thank you for the replies @vader, @joepirello and @smapmap.

Like @mads and @Eeems, I don't know how to remap the button.

And I don't know how to delete the Google Assistant cache. In Settings > Apps, Google Assistant is not listed at all. I deleted the Gemini Voice Assistant cache, but still nothing.

Can anyone give more info how how to remap the button please?

@vader also it made me register my voice, but I have to wake it and enter my password before it will respond to my voice, so I can't talk to it to get it to do anything when it's in sleep mode!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 10:53:27 am by Yev »

vader

• View Profile
Silver assistant button
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 10:58:23 pm »
Quote from: Yev
Thank you for the replies @vader, @joepirello and @smapmap.

Like @mads and @Eeems, I don't know how to remap the button.

And I don't know how to delete the Google Assistant cache. In Settings > Apps, Google Assistant is not listed at all. I deleted the Gemini Voice Assistant cache, but still nothing.

Can anyone give more info how how to remap the button please?

@vader also it made me register my voice, but I have to wake it and enter my password before it will respond to my voice, so I can't talk to it to get it to do anything when it's in sleep mode!
OK, so I read the release notes for the latest update and guess what? The gemini voice assistant app now supports Saiy as well as google. I donwloaded Saiy, and guess what. It works with the lid shut! I dont do much with it except call people, read messages and ask the time so it works a treat. There is a lot more you can do and it includes offline recognition.

So, people who have trouble with google assistant, try Saiy ( and set it in the gemini voice app). The only downside is I think this app has adds, but they are really rare. I'd pay for it.

Calamityspice

• View Profile
Silver assistant button
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 12:09:54 am »
Cool. How do you get Saiy to work? So far, it only works when I call my brother. For any other contacts, it
 say that it can't find the contact.

I can't see any differences in the contacts.

Ta

Nevermind. Finally managed to tweak it in the settings.

As a bonus, I now have a computer than when given the correct phrase, will verbally reply with "I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 05:59:17 pm by Calamityspice »

vader

• View Profile
Silver assistant button
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 08:25:01 pm »
Quote from: Calamityspice
As a bonus, I now have a computer than when given the correct phrase, will verbally reply with "I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

rasva

• View Profile
    • http://
Silver assistant button
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 04:53:21 pm »
I am experimenting with Sayi, but it does not seem to be able to activate for example the flightmode. It keeps answering that my device is not supporting this feature (my gemini is rooted, so it should work according manual). The google assistant works in this case, even unrooted. Any hints?
Cosmo
Gemini 4G/SailfishX

In past: Zaurus SL-C3200, Jornada 728, 690, Mobilepro 900C, Sharp PC3100, HP 200LX....

spook

• View Profile
Silver assistant button
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 12:58:53 am »
So, people who have trouble with google assistant, try Saiy ( and set it in the gemini voice app). The only downside is I think this app has adds, but they are really rare. I'd pay for it.

Thanks for the suggestion! Saiy is no longer on the Play store, but I found a link to it on XDA Forums. Great app and the silver button now works for me again