Author Topic: Single (ish) device?  (Read 2058 times)

Calamityspice

• View Profile
Single (ish) device?
« on: June 18, 2018, 10:16:30 pm »
Is anyone close to using the Gemini as their only computer/phone?

I'm tempted as I don't have access to wired broad band. So could combine my 3G dongle & phone. Save a tenner a month.

clear the keyboard  & mouse from my desk & just use my Intel NUC as a fileserver/cast host. Bluetooth speakers & job done

vader

• View Profile
Single (ish) device?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 10:47:13 pm »
Quote from: Calamityspice
Is anyone close to using the Gemini as their only computer/phone?

I'm tempted as I don't have access to wired broad band. So could combine my 3G dongle & phone. Save a tenner a month.

clear the keyboard  & mouse from my desk & just use my Intel NUC as a fileserver/cast host. Bluetooth speakers & job done
Yep. It is my only device - I only have my work computer (at work....), but at home it is all I use. You can cast to a big screen (or use the HDMI adapter) if you want to watch movies or just use a bigger screen. I have termux with X11 support, and have installed the tool chain so I can even develop at home. If I need to do anything heavy duty, I VPN into my work machine and either push an xterm back (via XSDL) or go terminal only via ssh. I do all my banking on the gemini as well. I installed TextMaker (instead of MS word...) and it works well. I set my wireless printer up so I can print from the Gemini. The Gemini does all that I need, and is always on and with me. Job done.

I just realised I didn't mention the phone part. It is my only device - that includes phone. Now that I have installed Saiy and have my assistant button back, I can't fault it as a phone either. I was one of the lucky original owners - have had the Gemini over 3 months and never wanted for more from it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:50:10 pm by vader »

joepirello

• View Profile
Single (ish) device?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 07:33:29 pm »
Single-ish device, yes. My only device on my desk? No way.

I have a triple display Windows setup at my desk and I still do need Windows sometimes. It is also a lot faster to do some simple tasks with a full-fledged OS. I also don't think I could get rid of a full sized keyboard and mouse and only use the keyboard and touch screen on the Gemini; that's just masochistic.

But for day to day computing away from my desk, the Gemini has replaced everything else.

Ifanafi

• View Profile
Single (ish) device?
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 12:38:39 pm »
Gemini is my only phone.

One week after getting it, I factory reset my Samsung Galaxy S5 and boxed it for eBay resale, soon.

Use my laptop less by half.

Use my Gem a lot. But all-day use DRAINS its' battery like a thirsty vampire feeding.

I am terribly concerned about that battery issue since the installing the last firmware update.

Onward nevertheless.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:41:50 pm by Ifanafi »

gidds

• View Profile
Single (ish) device?
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 05:43:06 pm »
My main home machine remains my Mac.  (Actually a MacBook Pro that mostly lives in a dock.)

But my Gemini has replaced my dumbphone, and my iPod Classic, and is well on its way to replacing my Psion 5mx.  Which, considering how much I used those gadgets, especially the Psion, is saying a huge amount!

The two main things I still use my Psion for are its Agenda (I'm waiting to see whether Planet's app will be a suitable replacement), and as a reader for the CIX conferencing system (for which I co-wrote a dedicated application; there's a web front-end but it doesn't work so well on the small screen, and I'll probably have to write a new app for it, but that'll take months.)

And when I went on holiday a few weeks ago, I took neither my Mac nor my Psion -- the Gemini was my only gadget.  I was very happy to be browsing the web (including this site!) while travelling down the motorway in a coach!  It saw a lot of other usage, too.

But main machine?  No.  It's not up to editing video or encoding it with Handbrake, developing software using IntelliJ, recording music with Cubase and software synths, or many of the other things I use my Mac for.  And without an HDMI cable, even web browsing and email is too painful to do much of on the small screen.

OTOH, my Gemini is always with me, and so it beats my Mac on several other scores!
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Calamityspice

• View Profile
Single (ish) device?
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 09:42:11 pm »
I'm surprised as to how many people are still using Psions.

I had a 3a, then a 3c (with the the peely rubber coating) in my teens. Then a 5 that saw me through university lectures.

I retired my 5 when portrait PDAs started becoming available. First Toshiba, then Dell.  The chunky X5, then the lovely X51v which was slim, had a great screen & with a custom ROM, worked very well.