Author Topic: Openzaurus 3.5.4.1 Testing  (Read 59821 times)

alee16

• View Profile
Openzaurus 3.5.4.1 Testing
« Reply #180 on: June 22, 2006, 02:45:24 pm »
I'm thoroughly confused.  Perhaps this is a good thread to post my question?

Is OZ a linux shell, if so, what does it run in the background of (pdaXrom, OZ/GPE, OZ/Opie)?  From what I understand, it is the background for the "window managers" of Opie and GPE (is that the correct term?), but from the way some of the replies go, it sounds like it's a background for pdaXrom?  

Also, what is the basis for Cacko?

I would be interested in anything that makes my Z (akita) perform better, right now I am running Cacko 1.23.  I wouldn't mind changing that (or even dual-booting would be better), but I really need my PIM information that I synced from Outlook onto my Z (when I changed from Pocket PC).
Sharp C1000 running pdaXrom 1.1.0beta4!
w/Lexar 1GB 40x Compactflash card &
Toshiba 512mb SD card

Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 22, 2006, 03:57:05 pm »
ewi546.ewi.utwente.nl appears to be down/unreachable for the past few days. Any idea when it will be back up?

I have mostly been able to substitute the oz.hentges.net mirrors in the meantime. However, I do not believe it contains the spitz machine feeds. I have even tried using http://oz.hentges.net/mirror/oz3.5.4/feed/machine/akita, but ipkg gives a 404 error on that. I cannot manually verify the feed addresses either, since CoreDump has (very understandably) disabled that due to traffic issues (see this readme)

oz.pdai.org is listed as another mirror on OpenZaurus downloads page, but I am getting "The requested URL /official/unstable/ was not found on this server" from there. Does anyone know of any other mirrors?
Zaurus SL-C3000
Zonet 802.11g USB (ZEW2501) --> Zydas ZD1211
IOGear Bluetooth USB (GBU211) --> Broadcom BCM2035
OpenZaurus 3.5.4.1 / GPE 2.7

zedkatuf2

• View Profile
    • http://www.projectgalileo.org.uk
« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2006, 05:46:36 pm »
[We have sablevm 1.12, jamvm 1.3.2, classpath 0.17 in OZ 3.5.4.x. OE .dev branch has classpath 0.20, jamvm 1.4.2 to which we can probably upgrade OZ (if needed for someone). And I do not use Java on Zaurus so cannot help more.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131682\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Oooh! Yes please, if someone (hrw???!!!) could dig out time to do that, I'd appreciate it VERY much (NOT urgent, but important  )

Cheers,

zedkatuf
Zaurus SLC3200 (Terrier) [SOLD]
Hardware extras: 2Gb Viking SD card 4Gb Transcode MMC card 2Gb Kingston 50x CF card Symbol Socket Spectrum & Ambicom 1100C  WLAN cards Shirtpocket Bluetooth CF  & Sitecom USB cards Running Pdaxii13 using Meanie's Atika ROM & full-hd apps.

Snappy

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #183 on: June 22, 2006, 08:26:21 pm »
I'm thoroughly confused.  Perhaps this is a good thread to post my question?

Is OZ a linux shell, if so, what does it run in the background of (pdaXrom, OZ/GPE, OZ/Opie)?  From what I understand, it is the background for the "window managers" of Opie and GPE (is that the correct term?), but from the way some of the replies go, it sounds like it's a background for pdaXrom? 

I would be interested in anything that makes my Z (akita) perform better, right now I am running Cacko 1.23.  I wouldn't mind changing that (or even dual-booting would be better), but I really need my PIM information that I synced from Outlook onto my Z (when I changed from Pocket PC).
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132432\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Repeated question on couple of other threads ... OZ is the kernel, OPIE and GPE is the GUI shell that sits on OZ. pdaXrom is the kernel that runs X11 window manager, matchbox being the default.

Cacko is based on Sharp ROM (yes?).
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>

alee16

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 22, 2006, 09:00:50 pm »
I'm thoroughly confused.  Perhaps this is a good thread to post my question?

Is OZ a linux shell, if so, what does it run in the background of (pdaXrom, OZ/GPE, OZ/Opie)?  From what I understand, it is the background for the "window managers" of Opie and GPE (is that the correct term?), but from the way some of the replies go, it sounds like it's a background for pdaXrom? 

I would be interested in anything that makes my Z (akita) perform better, right now I am running Cacko 1.23.  I wouldn't mind changing that (or even dual-booting would be better), but I really need my PIM information that I synced from Outlook onto my Z (when I changed from Pocket PC).
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132432\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Repeated question on couple of other threads ... OZ is the kernel, OPIE and GPE is the GUI shell that sits on OZ. pdaXrom is the kernel that runs X11 window manager, matchbox being the default.

Cacko is based on Sharp ROM (yes?).
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132467\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks, sounds good to me.
Toshiba 512mb SD card

zedkatuf2

• View Profile
    • http://www.projectgalileo.org.uk
« Reply #185 on: June 23, 2006, 12:47:21 am »

Re the PIM information, the Ka/PI, Ko/PI kdepim suite is good for synching with outlooks stuff IIRC.

I'm intending to use it once I've got my 3200 & will let u know how I get on with this.

zedkatuf
Zaurus SLC3200 (Terrier) [SOLD]
Hardware extras: 2Gb Viking SD card 4Gb Transcode MMC card 2Gb Kingston 50x CF card Symbol Socket Spectrum & Ambicom 1100C  WLAN cards Shirtpocket Bluetooth CF  & Sitecom USB cards Running Pdaxii13 using Meanie's Atika ROM & full-hd apps.

alee16

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2006, 11:09:36 pm »
Do Kdepim apps work in OPIE or GPE?
I really don't want to run KDE on a pda, it seems like it would be too slow.

I read in the OZ faq that many sharp rom apps are working in OPIE, is this true(other posts lead me to believe they don't work in OPIE)?
Toshiba 512mb SD card

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2006, 11:42:11 pm »
Do Kdepim apps work in OPIE or GPE?
I really don't want to run KDE on a pda, it seems like it would be too slow.

I read in the OZ faq that many sharp rom apps are working in OPIE, is this true(other posts lead me to believe they don't work in OPIE)?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133253\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

old version of opie could run sharp rom apps since the difference wasn't that big back then, newer versions of opie, may work, may not work. so the newer the opie version, the more likely they won't work since the difference is getting bigger...

kdepim apps only use some kde libraries and don't need the full kde environment which is quite slow on the Z. there are libraries for kdepim to run in both X11 and QTe so both opie and qpe can have the latest kdepim apps compiled if they aren't yet...
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

Hrw

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2006, 01:09:54 pm »
[We have sablevm 1.12, jamvm 1.3.2, classpath 0.17 in OZ 3.5.4.x. OE .dev branch has classpath 0.20, jamvm 1.4.2 to which we can probably upgrade OZ (if needed for someone).
Oooh! Yes please, if someone (hrw???!!!) could dig out time to do that, I'd appreciate it VERY much (NOT urgent, but important  )[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Added that stuff into .oz354x (not yet pushed).

I also suggest reading oz-devel mailing list for one nice mail to users/devels.
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.