Author Topic: Weexpc  (Read 12083 times)

Antikx

• View Profile
    • http://tyrannozaurus.com
Weexpc
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 12:19:10 am »
PS. And my reference to GPL wasnt refering to the statements I made prior that... My GPL statement was agreeing with Antikx
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157357\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
And I guess to clarify... I didn't see the mention of them selling support and I didn't see the source code available for download, so that's why I drew my conclusion. Also, I should have said GPL instead of Open Source.
I have no qualms with what Red Hat does and I think the Zaurus could use some more exposure, but as I said I didn't see this company doing what Red Hat does. (correct me if I'm wrong).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 12:21:20 am by Antikx »
Kanpai,
-Antikx (Twitter, Mugshot and PodNova)
C1000 - pdaXrom R198 (Celestial Environment)
tyrannozaurus.com
[img]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/files/category_pictures/general_1.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Zaurus news/blogs feed from Zaurus users
Free Windows, Linux, or Web RSS readers.
Featured pages at tyrannozaurus:
Sharp Petition, ScummVM, Cacko, pdaXii13, and Celestial Environment

wellswang

• View Profile
    • http://wells.osall.com
Weexpc
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 01:02:17 am »
They (hermocom) sold OS image, but they DO NOT provide any source code to download.

And as they said, their OS is based on pdaXrom.
http://www.hermocom.com/en/download/zaurus/ (At the bottom of the page)
We are currently developing exclusively for pdaXrom.

So, I think they violated the GPL license which pdaXrom used.

wuurp

• View Profile
    • http://
Weexpc
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 01:54:04 am »
And I guess to clarify... I didn't see the mention of them selling support and I didn't see the source code available for download, so that's why I drew my conclusion. Also, I should have said GPL instead of Open Source.
I have no qualms with what Red Hat does and I think the Zaurus could use some more exposure, but as I said I didn't see this company doing what Red Hat does. (correct me if I'm wrong).
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157359\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I don't see any mention of support either, but the source code for the GPL software is supposed to be included on the recovery DVD, which I guess can be used to recovery the SD card, so I don't think backups are needed.

180 pounds (sorry don't know keycode) (222 coming soon) does seem like an exorbitant amount for just makeing a "distribution" of free software.

xjqian

• View Profile
Weexpc
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 02:13:46 am »
A legal question: is he still violating GPL if nobody ever bought the product, instead he's just making a joke of himself? In other words, does it need to be a final sale to constitute a legally binding situation?
My Blog | 6000L Tosa + sled | is: Angstrom | was: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1 | was: stock 1.12 rom + no-ffpe fash kernel + X/Qt Debian |
CF GPS (FGPCFCD01) | USB "Prolific 2303" GPS (USB-UG-200) | Socket CF BT rev. H |  USB "Pegasus II" Ethernet (ADM8511) | PocketTop IR kbd | sip:527630@fwd.pulver.com
Todo: OESF wiki | stable VOIP app | usable GPS app |      Wishlist: VOIP + Bluetooth | GPS + Routing Calc

cycle_55

• View Profile
Weexpc
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 02:26:06 am »
So I guess desertrat caught my rant also... :-)

Well I'm not going to break out into the GPL this and GPL that since I wanted to stay civil and not point fingers... (the reason I retracted my prior statements)

But I'm going to leave this alone for a bit. Any any conversations regarding this can still trickle on and if anyone would like to contact me please feel free to do so...

Thanks

PS. And my reference to GPL wasnt refering to the statements I made prior that... My GPL statement was agreeing with Antikx
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157357\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I have from time to time also ranted as I am sure many of us have. In this case it is understandable and makes me feel like ranting also. I have said before that pdaxrom has been so useful to me that I would gladly pay for it. In a way I have, by donating to the cause and will continue to do so. Hopefully the person responsible for this comes to their senses and donates any money made, back to where it rightfully belongs. For me open software is not about being free, as such, it is the idea of community and for that I gladly contribute.

cycle_55
C3100,  1.1.0beta3, Rox, Ambicom WL100C-CF wireless , Buffalo ethernet

xjqian

• View Profile
Weexpc
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 02:27:20 am »
They (hermocom) sold OS image, but they DO NOT provide any source code to download.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157361\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

He does include source code, though.
What will be delivered?

* We send you a readily configured SHARP Zaurus with weeXpc software installed
    * The weeXpc SD card for data storage and with preinstalled Windows portable weeXpc applications
    * A USB adapter to connect the weeXpc SD card directly to a PC
    * A recovery DVD, which also includes the source code of the GPL-licensed open source software.
My Blog | 6000L Tosa + sled | is: Angstrom | was: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1 | was: stock 1.12 rom + no-ffpe fash kernel + X/Qt Debian |
CF GPS (FGPCFCD01) | USB "Prolific 2303" GPS (USB-UG-200) | Socket CF BT rev. H |  USB "Pegasus II" Ethernet (ADM8511) | PocketTop IR kbd | sip:527630@fwd.pulver.com
Todo: OESF wiki | stable VOIP app | usable GPS app |      Wishlist: VOIP + Bluetooth | GPS + Routing Calc

Jon_J

• View Profile
Weexpc
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 02:29:13 am »
I wonder if they use the same cr*p on the SD card that Picsel browser has, so you cannot make a backup?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I wasn't planning on buying this, I was more interested in the SD protection, since my SD card cannot be purchased anywhere now.
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

xjqian

• View Profile
Weexpc
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 02:36:37 am »
I have from time to time also ranted as I am sure many of us have. In this case it is understandable and makes me feel like ranting also. I have said before that pdaxrom has been so useful to me that I would gladly pay for it. In a way I have, by donating to the cause and will continue to do so. Hopefully the person responsible for this comes to their senses and donates any money made, back to where it rightfully belongs. For me open software is not about being free, as such, it is the idea of community and for that I gladly contribute.

cycle_55
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157364\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Well-said cycle_55.  My take is that I don't see much legal problem with hermocom. It's left for the buyer to judge whether the support is worth the price or not. And it's left for the seller to justify wether his act makes moral sense. But Daniel Hertrich should at least show some courtesy to pdaXrom developers or even contribute back in the good nature of open source.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:46:56 am by xjqian »

wellswang

• View Profile
    • http://wells.osall.com
Weexpc
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 02:36:46 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157361\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

He does include source code, though.
What will be delivered?

* We send you a readily configured SHARP Zaurus with weeXpc software installed
    * The weeXpc SD card for data storage and with preinstalled Windows portable weeXpc applications
    * A USB adapter to connect the weeXpc SD card directly to a PC
    * A recovery DVD, which also includes the source code of the GPL-licensed open source software.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157365\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

ok, I retract what i said.

cycle_55

I agree with you cycle_55, well-said!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:39:55 am by wellswang »

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
Weexpc
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 04:17:48 am »
well, I think I will need to say a few thinks to hermocom's defence.

The company is selling a service which is installing a bug fixed version of pdaXrom in a user friendly way. This does not constitute a violation of the GPL. Furthermore, all the GPLed source code is available on the DVD and you can also get the source code by simply contacting the owner of the site. There are quite a few packages that the owner of hermocom has contributed to pdaXrom so he does contribute back. Samples are the customisable clock applet, the streamtuner and streamripper packages and some more.

As for donating to pdaXrom, the website states that 22EURO will be donated to the developers (which I assume is pdaXrom developers) for each weeXpc service sold.

I have been offered some donations as well since some of the fixes in pdaXii13 also ended up in weeXpc, but I had declined since I generally don't take monetary donations. In this case, I opted to get a Zaurus mug since I like the idea of drinking coffee from a mug with a Zaurus logo on it. This has happened before I had joined the pdaXrom dev team and was just hacking my own version of pdaXrom for C3000.
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

daniel3000

• View Profile
Weexpc
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 07:41:47 am »
Hello Adrian, hello forum members,

here are some background and answers to your questions:

hermocom does not violate the GPL. hermocom actually supports the GPL's deeper sense by supporting the developers. Source code is delivered to anyone buying the system.

To Adrian: if you feel that anything has to be clarified between both of us, we should do so immediately (maybe via PM - please feel free to contact me at any time). What I really do not want is to have any disagreements about your great work on pdaXrom and the ways of usage of that work.

weeXpc was born from the ideas I had to make pdaXrom fit my own needs. I realized that a lot of people have similar needs (especially those who are used to use the good old MS-DOS-based HP 200LX palmtop). So, besides making pdaXrom fit my own needs, I spent a lot of time making it more failsafe, providing routines for all kinds of tasks to make usage as simple and intuitive as possible, to make the system as user-friendly as possible.

weeXpc is meant to make pdaXrom available to professionals who may not have the time, interest and/or skills to tweak the system themselves.
pdaXrom simply needs a lot of tweaking after a plain install, in order to get a system which is suitable for daily work. And many people who need a work horse are people who won't tweak pdaXrom for the above reasons.
So I have done that work in advance for these people, with the help of some other people here, besides the pdaXrom team mostly Meanie probably, and with the help of some application developers who are not participating here in the forums.
Hence I return a lot of results from the work on weeXpc to the community - as Meanie says - that is, software packages, ideas to improve the functionality of pdaXrom etc. Many discussions I raised about missing features or suboptimal behavior of the system actually resulted in something very valuable, available for every forum member.
This is the natural, community-based way of improving software like this, and I have no problem sharing all the ideas included in weeXpc with you (you may have guessed I have such problems, because it could lower the "profit", but weeXpc is not meant for you knowledgable people here, but rather for the groups of people I mentioned above).
As for profit: Of course I, representing hermocom, must be profitable. Hence I have to charge a fee for the offer.
Market (i.e. offer and demand) determines the price, I also need to consider the amount of work I spent and still spend for this project etc.etc.
Honestly: If I would add up all the time spent so far, and substract the time spent for only the functionaly I need myself (so only considering the amount of time which I spent solely for making the system "sellable"), I would still have to charge much, much more than I do to reach the level of profit which would be needed if this was my main business. weeXpc is a spare time business of mine.
Here is where demand comes into the game. Demand is not that high, because it is a niche market. All Zaurus vendors know what I am speaking about.
It would need a very clever marketing system and much higher prices to gain a profit which can supply a living.

BTW: The price includes a lot more stuff than the software, e.g. installation service, advice in how to efficiently use the system for the individual needs, last but not least advice if weeXpc actually is the right system for the individual needs etc etc. All the pre-work which every user has to do on his own otherwise, and which takes a significant amount of time. I think it makes much sense to bundle that all and offer it to anyone.

The main idea of weeXpc was to create something which is an adequate replacement for the HP 200LX palmtop. The QTopia-based systems were not able to fulfill that, pdaXrom was the best choice for that goal.  Most people who are interested in or buy weeXpc are indeed former HP 200LX users and are amazed by the system. However, many people are not willing to donate on a voluntary basis, so I think it is a good way of returning something to the original developers by using a part of the price for donations.
Now you may ask "why didn't I get any donation yet?". There are quite some developers involved, and I gave a larger donation to another developer in advance (Notecase, also a project which all pdaXrom users can have an advantage of, because Notecase is now heavily optimized for Zaurus usage and much improved for all platforms it is available for). Once I have sold the amount of weeXpc systems needed to cover this, pdaXrom project will be the next "target" for donations.
Adrian, if you like to have a control for this, please contact me privately and we will find a way.

It is clear to me that once commerce is introduced into an otherwise completely free and community-based project, people may smell a rat due to potential moral problems and license violations. For these reasons, but in the first place for reasons of common sense and human ways of thinking, I decided for that donation scheme.

Adrian, your work, and the work of the other pdaXrom developers, is very much appreciated and certainly should never be abused. If you feel that weeXpc is a form of abuse, please let me know! The idea was not to abuse it, but to make it available to a broader range of people and, in turn, give some special group of people a device with really powerful software.
I admit that I should have contacted you in advance to clarify things. I am very sorry for not having done it! I should have guessed that this may offend you, even more while not knowing any details and background.
Adrian, of course GPL allows you to use any enhancements I have done in pdaXrom. I actually hope that you will do so, making pdaXrom an even more robust and productive system. If you search my forum posts, you will find a lot of things which may or may not fit your idea of how pdaXrom should behave.

I hope I could clarify the questions so far.
If you have more questions, please ask publicly or via PM.

Best regards
Daniel Hertrich,
hermocom
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 08:59:53 am by daniel3000 »
SL-C3200 with weeXpc, based on pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3
HP 200LX with MS-DOS 5.0

Antikx

• View Profile
    • http://tyrannozaurus.com
Weexpc
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 08:54:32 am »
Thanks for being level headed and taking the time to clarify things Daniel.
Kanpai,
-Antikx (Twitter, Mugshot and PodNova)
C1000 - pdaXrom R198 (Celestial Environment)
tyrannozaurus.com
[img]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/files/category_pictures/general_1.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Zaurus news/blogs feed from Zaurus users
Free Windows, Linux, or Web RSS readers.
Featured pages at tyrannozaurus:
Sharp Petition, ScummVM, Cacko, pdaXii13, and Celestial Environment

Laze

• View Profile
    • http://www.pdaXrom.org
Weexpc
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 10:07:33 am »
Yes Daniel all your points are valid. Lets just enjoy that somebody is actually trying to improve the pdaXrom in both software and money effort. So it ends here and we might review later but at the moment there is all go from all the pdaXrom developers for your contiuned development and sales.

Btw. to everybody - its a long time since anybody donated anything
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 10:11:12 am by Laze »
C760 running pdaXrom lastest ;-)
SL5500 Running Cacko Qtopia
512 MB SD Card, 128 MB CF Card, Prism2 CF Wlan.

Always visit http://www.pdaXrom.org for latest news.

daniel3000

• View Profile
Weexpc
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 10:18:04 am »
Yes Daniel all your points are valid. Lets just enjoy that somebody is actually trying to improve the pdaXrom in both software and money effort. So it ends here and we might review later but at the moment there is all go from all the pdaXrom developers for your contiuned development and sales.

Btw. to everybody - its a long time since anybody donated anything
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157409\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hello Laze,

I am very glad you put it this way. I am not aware if you already read my email I wrote as a reply to your email (which I just found half an hour ago in my spam folder, so could not reply earlier).
But if weeXpc is sold some more times (and I think it will be) there will be pdaXrom donations in the near future.

daniel
SL-C3200 with weeXpc, based on pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3
HP 200LX with MS-DOS 5.0

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Weexpc
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2007, 10:38:20 am »
All,
Alright I'm going to leave this thread open for  the next few hours... after that I'm going to lock it since there are no more comments needed regarding this subject.

If anyone has a reason for this to continue to be open let me know.

Late
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100 and SL-6000L
pdaXrom Developer
Please visit pdaXrom.org for updates
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode