Author Topic: Flashtool on Windows 11  (Read 1772 times)

FredL

• View Profile
Flashtool on Windows 11
« on: October 13, 2023, 10:10:19 am »
I've just successfully flashed my Gemini, but to get it to get the FlashTool to recognise the Gemini I had to disable memory protection in Windows 11:

Windows Security > Device Security > Core Isolation

After a Windows reboot the Gemini could be flashed. Just reporting here in case anyone else has the same problem in future.

To turn on Core Isolation again afterwards I had to remove the FlashTool drivers (slightly technical, but a quick google solved the issue)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 11:28:21 am by FredL »

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Flashtool on Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 05:35:27 pm »
Thanks for this useful hint! I wonder what does OS' memory protection have to do with a flashing tool...

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 02:24:30 pm »
I've just successfully flashed my Gemini, but to get it to get the FlashTool to recognise the Gemini I had to disable memory protection in Windows 11:

Windows Security > Device Security > Core Isolation

After a Windows reboot the Gemini could be flashed. Just reporting here in case anyone else has the same problem in future.

To turn on Core Isolation again afterwards I had to remove the FlashTool drivers (slightly technical, but a quick google solved the issue)

Would be worth adding this to the `shymega/planet-devices` wiki as a PR.

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 02:25:45 pm »
Thanks for this useful hint! I wonder what does OS' memory protection have to do with a flashing tool...

Varti

Likely to do with the driver for interfacing with Mediatek's preloader. This isn't unusual. But I wouldn't trust it with a five-foot pole... it doesn't happen on Linux, but it could do, if it was a hardened kernel.

I've never had this happen to me though.