Author Topic: Space bar get stuck when pressed, doesn't pop back up.  (Read 3400 times)

psiondude

• View Profile
Space bar get stuck when pressed, doesn't pop back up.
« on: November 14, 2018, 03:12:07 pm »
Hi,

i have a problem with my spacebar. When i press it, it gets stuck, and doesn't pop back up :-(

Is there anything i can do to solve this?

thx for any tips :-)

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 06:03:42 pm »
Depends what the problem is, I guess.

First, I'd suggest removing the key.  (Carefully!  It has a long metal bar underneath; probably best to leave that attached, and not lift the key too much.)  Check it's all clean and nothing's stuck underneath.

If the key gets stuck hard, then check the plastic prongs underneath and see if they need shaving or anything.  (Despite the longer key, I think the prongs &c are the same as they other keys.)

Or if the rubber mat lacks the power to lift the key after it's been pressed, Planet Computers might send you a replacement mat if you ask them.  In any case, it's probably worth contacting them if you can't solve it yourself.

(Oddly enough, my space bar has exactly the opposite problem: unless I press it in the right place, it won't press down!)
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

psiondude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 03:58:25 am »
Thanks for your help.

i already checked if their was any dirt, but didn't find anything ...

it might be the rubber mat, that can't pop the key up anymore

will contact planet, if i can't figure it out myself, tx again

PS: i have put 2 small pieces of duct tape on both sides of the protruding circle of rubber from the mat, and now the key pops up again (but very slowly), at least it doesn't stay stuck anymore. (good enough, until i get a new mat ...)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:12:22 am by psiondude »

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 05:34:05 pm »
I almost have the same problem as you--sometimes, I will open my G and find a key stuck down. I have to pry it up with a plastic blade. The stuck keys are mostly from the row nearest to the hinge, ESC, 1, 2, etc.

psiondude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 10:53:13 am »
Quote from: jakfish
I almost have the same problem as you--sometimes, I will open my G and find a key stuck down. I have to pry it up with a plastic blade. The stuck keys are mostly from the row nearest to the hinge, ESC, 1, 2, etc.

have you found a fix?

as i wrote above, this kinda works for me:

i have put 2 small pieces of duct tape on both sides of the protruding circle of rubber from the mat, and now the key pops up again (but very slowly), at least it doesn't stay stuck anymore. (good enough, until i get a new mat ...)

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 01:30:25 pm »
Thanks for your follow-up. For your duct tape workaround, did you pull the space bar? And if you did, was that scary?

Jake