Author Topic: Video How-to  (Read 4260 times)

alan

• View Profile
Video How-to
« on: May 24, 2005, 06:46:09 pm »
Hi !

Since Xora launched a video how to for c7x0 serie on the open zaurus webpage, i really really want to try to get a universal how to.

i tweaked a bit his script, and here is waht i now use on my 750 :

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
mencoder $1 -srate 24000 -ofps 15 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=150:vpass=1 -lameopts cbr:br=64:mode=3 -vf scale=320:-2:::,eq2=1.0:0.6:0.1:0.7 -oac mp3lame -o Z-$1;
mencoder $1 -srate 24000 -ofps 15 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=150:vpass=2 -lameopts cbr:br=64:mode=3 -vf scale=320:-2:::,eq2=1.0:0.6:0.1:0.7 -oac mp3lame -o Z-$1

use/edit/comment as much as possible for each Z model. I saved it as vid2zaurus and use it by "vid2zaurus file.avi". This produces a Z-file.avi.

Note that Z-file :
* automatically keeps aspect ratio
* needs around 100mo/hour
* enlight colors so that you can see them even without full lightscreen
* is a bit chunky as it is only 15 fps
* produces each one of the two passes at around 50 fps on my duron 1.3 ghz 512mo ram. (So a 2 hours film would be ready in about 2 hours.)

To play it, use Xora's script :

FOR GPE USERS :
#! /bin/sh
fbset -n -xres 240 -yres 320;
echo 1 >/sys/class/graphics/fb0/driver/w100fb/fastpllclk;
mplayer -cache 16384 -vo w100 -ac mad -ao oss -framedrop -fs -really-quiet -vop rotate=1 $@;
fbset -n -xres 640 -yres 480

FOR OPIE USERS :
#! /bin/sh
fbset -n -xres 240 -yres 320;
mplayer -cache 16384 -ac mad -ao oss -framedrop -really-quiet -fs -vop rotate=1 $@;
fbset -n -xres 640 -yres 480

FOR 5XXXX USERS :
remove the two fbset lines (and i have a doubt about the w100 driver for GPE users...)

Now things i'd like to know :
- is there a way to keep the black frames really black ? the enlighting process makes the darks frames look ugly, but without it, movie are unwatchable unless you are in the dark... Anyone who knows anything in matrices is welcome.

- what is the maximum bitrate each  Z models can play ? i need testers for this, or someone who knows haow to calculate this.

- is there a way to make a gui from this ? i don't know anything in coding, if someone wants to take that, that would be great ! Something with a bitrate calculator, and all. (wonder if it would be very usefull...)

- can someone make the same job for Windows users ? i know virtualdub has some sripting abilities in filtering, and that the filtering process can be saved in a file. Can someone post those files here ?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 06:47:24 pm by alan »

LavaDevil

• View Profile
Video How-to
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 03:58:24 pm »
- can someone make the same job for Windows users ? i know virtualdub has some sripting abilities in filtering, and that the filtering process can be saved in a file. Can someone post those files here ?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81324\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Well, the MPlayer project has made a Windows port for both MPlayer and MEncoder. It's still in beta, but I can make MEncoder for Windows encode movies that will work with MPlayer on the Zaurus using this command:
mencoder.exe "insert_video_location_here_in_the_script" -srate 44100 -vop scale=320:240 -o movie_name_that_you_want.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=15:mode=3 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4 -ofps 15 -sws 2The change in the vcodec section represents the use of DivX3 instead of DivX 4 or 5, which seems to be the only one that MEncoder encoded and MPlayer plays. That command encoded a 1 hour and 30 minutes movie to around 102MB, so it'll fit nicely on a moderately-sized CF card.

EDIT: I should've mentioned before, I'm using a 5500 with the 3.5.3 Hentges ROM (uses MPlayer 1.0-pre7).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 04:59:20 pm by LavaDevil »

Storm

• View Profile
    • http://
Video How-to
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 01:01:20 pm »
I just had a breakthrough on the encoding side. I'm still playing with it, but I was able to encode an mpeg file that played well on the Zaurus. I have found that downsampling the audio to 22050Hz mono reduces the loading on the Zaurus, and helps a lot.

My script does the following:

1. Strips the audio from the original video to a wav file
2. Rewrites the video with reduced framerate/bitrate for the Zaurus.
3. Strips the sound out of the video.
4. Converts the audio to ogg.
5. Combines the reduced-framerate video with the ogg audio.
6. Cleans up temporary files.

The code is very basic and not bulletproof, since I just got it working, and I haven't done any optimization. I would be interested in any improvements/modifications anyone might have.

Here is my script:

#!/bin/sh
file=$1
fname=`echo $file | awk -F. '{ print $1 }'`
if [ $file = $fname.avi ]; then
  fname=$fname-1
fi

# Separate sound to a wav file
mplayer $file -ao pcm:file=audio.wav -vc dummy -aid 1 -vo null

# Rewrite video with no sound and reduced frame rate
mencoder $file  -srate 24000 -vop scale=320:240 -o $fname.avi -oac mp3lame -lame
opts preset=15:mode=3 -ovc divx4 -divx4opts br=150 -ofps 15 -sws 2

mencoder -ovc copy -nosound -o $fname-pda.avi $fname.avi

# Convert wav to ogg
oggenc --downmix --resample 22050 -q 2 audio.wav

# Combine ogg and video to ogm file
ogmmerge -o $fname.ogm $fname-pda.avi --sync audio.ogg

# Remove temp files
rm $fname.avi $fname-pda.avi audio.ogg audio.wav

The original videos I tested this on were 90 and 164MB, and the resulting ogms were 7.9 and 11MB:

-rw-r--r--  1 storm storm  93339884 Nov 15  2004 Strike-on-Koksan-Act1b.mpeg
-rw-r--r--  1 storm storm 156162656 Nov 15  2004 Strike-on-Koksan-Act2b.mpeg
-rw-r--r--  1 storm storm  8228337 May 30 00:35 Strike-on-Koksan-Act1b.ogm
-rw-r--r--  1 storm storm 10716254 May 30 11:47 Strike-on-Koksan-Act2b.ogm

They play nicely on my SL-5500 running OZ3.5.3, with mplayer 1.0pre7 from the feed.

--Storm
Zaurus SL-5500/Hentges OZ 3.5.4.1
Ambicom WL1100-CF wireless card
Desktop: Debian/GNU Linux (unstable)

pgas

• View Profile
    • http://
Video How-to
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 01:42:40 pm »
check this thread:

https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11083

xumbi and dreadlocks seem happy with their encoding options
SLC-860 cacko / senao wifi

malcolmxavier

• View Profile
Video How-to
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 10:56:08 am »
I encoded a few files in different bitrates and different compression methods (mpeg4, xvid, divx) and they all seem to be jerky on video playback. i tried loading them onto a CF memory card, but that doesn't seem to work. I am usinga 64-0 build, so I wonder if I am slowing down because I don't have enough cache.  any suggestions on what might be going on?  I have been using opie-mplayer2 to play the video back. audio works great and if I play these files on my computer I see no hesitation in the video.

Thanks in advance
-John
-John
-----------------------------------
Zaurus SL5500
1 Gig Lexar SD card
Ambicom WiFi WL1100C-CF
OpenZaurus 3.5.3 with Opie 1.2.0

malcolmxavier

• View Profile
Video How-to
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 01:39:27 pm »
I encoded a few files in different bitrates and different compression methods (mpeg4, xvid, divx) and they all seem to be jerky on video playback. i tried loading them onto a CF memory card, but that doesn't seem to work. I am usinga 64-0 build, so I wonder if I am slowing down because I don't have enough cache.  any suggestions on what might be going on?  I have been using opie-mplayer2 to play the video back. audio works great and if I play these files on my computer I see no hesitation in the video.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84532\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Quick update, if I use mplayer to play off the cf flash card, I don't get skipping, it's only if I use opie-mplayer2 when I get "skipping".guess it's time to figure out how opie-mplayer2 works and if there is a config file for it anyplace.
-John
-----------------------------------
Zaurus SL5500
1 Gig Lexar SD card
Ambicom WiFi WL1100C-CF
OpenZaurus 3.5.3 with Opie 1.2.0

YoG

• View Profile
Video How-to
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 05:47:05 pm »
Hi,
first, I use alan's (or is it Xora?) scripts for encoding and playing... worked like a charm. I suggest adding the following line at the end of the opie play script:
qcop "QPE/System" "applyStyle()";
this will make opie refresh the screen after the movie exit.

Another thing that I'm missing in the play script, and couldn't find a satisfactory solution is the dimming of the screen when working offline... does anyone found a solution to this problem (that is other than to disable the dim and light off in the light and power settings)?

Thanx,
YoG
C860 Autobuilt Angstrom (OPIE) & Zubuntu 9.04  dual boot using kexec
SanDisk SDHC 4GB, Agiwara Sys-Com CF 1GB, Sandisk CF 256MB, Socket BT, Linksys WCF12 Wifi card, RoyalTek RBT-1000 Bluetooth GPS
yogzlog.blogspot.com