Author Topic: All the keyboard layouts published so far  (Read 23677 times)

LoneTech

• View Profile
All the keyboard layouts published so far
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 04:40:24 am »
As a Swede, I note we seem to have lost the dead accent key. There's no obvious way to spell idé (which indeed is a distinct word from ide). But we apparently get to keep the completely unused ¤ and § symbols. I'm not that upset; this format was going to be a compromise from the start. Perhaps it's a less clear method like shift+fn+i e? As a sidenote, I wonder what our word for idé was before loaning that from french...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:42:06 am by LoneTech »

Grench

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 02:10:16 pm »
Quote from: LoneTech
As a Swede, I note we seem to have lost the dead accent key. There's no obvious way to spell idé (which indeed is a distinct word from ide). But we apparently get to keep the completely unused ¤ and § symbols. I'm not that upset; this format was going to be a compromise from the start. Perhaps it's a less clear method like shift+fn+i e? As a sidenote, I wonder what our word for idé was before loaning that from french...

Normal Android methodology - used elsewhere as well (Linux based e-Readers & the like) is to press & hold the unaccented key for a moment then a menu pops up allowing you to toggle through the accented versions of the base character.  I don't know if that type of system will be used on the Gemini, but I wouldn't count it out.

depscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 02:28:46 pm »
Quote from: Grench
Quote from: LoneTech

Normal Android methodology - used elsewhere as well (Linux based e-Readers & the like) is to press & hold the unaccented key for a moment then a menu pops up allowing you to toggle through the accented versions of the base character.  I don't know if that type of system will be used on the Gemini, but I wouldn't count it out.
I think that one of the early reviews -- Gemini Planet, maybe -- mentioned that this exists on the production gadget.
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 10:11:32 pm »
Quote from: depscribe
Quote from: Grench
I think that one of the early reviews -- Gemini Planet, maybe -- mentioned that this exists on the production gadget.
Yes, this has been confirmed to be working by Mike Halsey, he tried this on his Gemini.

Varti
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:11:50 pm by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

eedesign

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 05:58:19 pm »
I received the following keyboard layouts from Robin today.

13. Chinese keyboard
16. Danish keyboard
17. Dvorak keyboard
22. Hebrew keyboard
23. Hungarian keyboard
26. Korean keyboard
28. Norwegian keyboard
29. Polish keyboard
30. Portuguese keyboard
35. Thai keyboard

Attached are the pdf and image files.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 04:27:05 am »
Thanks eedesign, I'll update the list later today.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 06:11:35 am »
First post updated.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

nathan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 12:11:23 pm »
I just noticed that in the Dvorak layout, the entire bottom row is shifted left one key because normally the ";" is placed where the qwerty "Z" key is. IFor Dvorak, the QKJXBMWV and Z keys are all in the wrong position--they're typed with different fingers!

However there's no room to fit all the alphabet characters in the normal Dvorak positions without moving the right shift and arrow cluster because the V should be where the up arrow is, and the Z should be where the right shift is. If the Fn can be moved to the right of the space, perhaps there's room for the arrow cluster on the left by sacrificing the ";" key (the Z in qwerty).

I know that only the UK and US layouts have been produced.  Have the other layouts been finalized?

Wille

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 12:41:33 pm »
In Fin/Swe layout I would prefer to have 'ä' as a primary, not 'ö'. Not sure about Swedish but in Finnish letter 'ö' is in a few words but 'ä' exist most frequently.
Finnish keyboard settings doesn't work properly, but Swedish does, so no problem.
Jolla 1 SFOS 1,2 since 12/2013
Intex Aquafish SFOS 2 since 08/2016
PC Gemini x27 wifi/4G with SFOS 2 CE since 06/2018

Anssi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 06:31:25 pm »
Quote from: Wille
In Fin/Swe layout I would prefer to have 'ä' as a primary, not 'ö'. Not sure about Swedish but in Finnish letter 'ö' is in a few words but 'ä' exist most frequently.
Finnish keyboard settings doesn't work properly, but Swedish does, so no problem.
I added a Gemini Fin/Swe layout with swapped Ä/Ö in FinQwerty (GitHub, Google Play).
Anssi Hannula

szopin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 10:38:19 am »
Quote from: eedesign
I received the following keyboard layouts from Robin today.

13. Chinese keyboard
16. Danish keyboard
17. Dvorak keyboard
22. Hebrew keyboard
23. Hungarian keyboard
26. Korean keyboard
28. Norwegian keyboard
29. Polish keyboard
30. Portuguese keyboard
35. Thai keyboard

Attached are the pdf and image files.

The polish layout seems to be missing '?' (doesn't display here but the letter C with apostrophe above it), can it be fixed by editing some config files on the device? Wonder if that can be fixed for Cosmo, as it's a bit late (also not sure how the layout could be fixed as all keys seem to have all 3, would need to drop something less useful like maybe the smiley)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:39:05 am by szopin »

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 12:00:40 pm »
Quote from: Wille
Not sure about Swedish but in Finnish letter 'ö' is in a few words but 'ä' exist most frequently.
In Finnish, Ä is over eight times as common as Ö, but in Swedish they are roughly equally common (Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_frequency). I guess the rationale is that, on a regular Swedish/Finnish keyboard, Ö is the letter expected to sit to the right of L.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:02:30 pm by Daniel W »

FlyingAntero

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2020, 03:43:40 am »
I hope that Planet Computers could consider to redesign Finnish/Swedish layout. Ä letter is much common in both languages than Ö like users have reported here.I am proposing that Planet Computers could swap Ö and Ä letters. I know that many people are using FinQwerty app to remap those buttons on Gemini PDA and Cosmo Communicator. It is hard to type Ä if you have to press FN button first. You can find my suggestion below.

Another idea is that maybe Planet Computers could sacrifice Shift button on the right for Ä letter. Then both Ä and Ö would be available for easy typing. Personally I would like that option. See the image below.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

If Planet Computers do not want to redesign layouts they could at least provide extra keys as a spare parts for their customers. I would be ready to buy these extra keys and change keys by myself. Then I would have to remap keys on software level also but that is a easy task.

I have sent email to Planet Computers and got response that email is forwarded to "the relevant department for future reviewing". If you like my idea, please, send email to Planet Computers so maybe they could actually take this into account.

gemini_user_j

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2020, 09:13:20 am »
Quote from: FlyingAntero
I hope that Planet Computers could consider to redesign Finnish/Swedish layout. Ä letter is much common in both languages than Ö like users have reported here.I am proposing that Planet Computers could swap Ö and Ä letters. I know that many people are using FinQwerty app to remap those buttons on Gemini PDA and Cosmo Communicator. It is hard to type Ä if you have to press FN button first. You can find my suggestion below.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Another idea is that maybe Planet Computers could sacrifice Shift button on the right for Ä letter. Then both Ä and Ö would be available for easy typing. Personally I would like that option. See the image below.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

If Planet Computers do not want to redesign layouts they could at least provide extra keys as a spare parts for their customers. I would be ready to buy these extra keys and change keys by myself. Then I would have to remap keys on software level also but that is a easy task.

I have sent email to Planet Computers and got response that email is forwarded to "the relevant department for future reviewing". If you like my idea, please, send email to Planet Computers so maybe they could actually take this into account.
I used to use special character buttons until I discovered US-International Layout, you basically type letters by holding alt or alt + shift for uppercase, something I found fairly quick to get in muscle memory.
Since I also do some programming, US layout is handy for non-letter characters.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't gotten this to work in debian, which is my preferred OS on gemini, but no problem on Android.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but maybe an alternative you could experiment with.

best
Gemini PDA x27

FlyingAntero

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2020, 10:59:35 am »
Quote from: gemini_user_j
I used to use special character buttons until I discovered US-International Layout, you basically type letters by holding alt or alt + shift for uppercase, something I found fairly quick to get in muscle memory.
Since I also do some programming, US layout is handy for non-letter characters.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't gotten this to work in debian, which is my preferred OS on gemini, but no problem on Android.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but maybe an alternative you could experiment with.

best
Thanks for your help. There are various software fixes for the issue but I am looking for hardware fix also. For that part Planet Computers must redesign the layout or at least provide extra keys as spare parts. If there would be one key labeled Ä available then user could replace either Ö or Shift on the right with it. Planet Computers could generate some money flow by selling extra keys.