Author Topic: Anyone Tried Yet On A 3200?  (Read 10015 times)

cybernetseraph

• View Profile
Anyone Tried Yet On A 3200?
« on: April 06, 2006, 12:09:20 pm »
Hey all.

My last Z was nicked last year when i was mugged, after finally getting the insurance money i have a shiny new 3200,(typing this on it).

I'm of course wanting to put OpenBSD on it ASAP, likely after the weekend, but i'm wondering if anyone's tried it yet. i'd be wanting to install over the whole disk

Would that pose a problem, sure i saw thar  some of the stuff from the ROM was moved during the openbsd install.

thanks

-0-

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 12:22:48 pm »
I wouldn't see a problem with it...

BUT... I'm not going to be the one to say.... DO IT DO IT....

I believe the 3200 is just a 3100 re-shelled and with a larger MD.

Let us know how it goes...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 12:23:12 pm by InSearchOf »
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100 and SL-6000L
pdaXrom Developer
Please visit pdaXrom.org for updates
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode

iamasmith

• View Profile
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

dda71

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 11:59:39 am »
Yes, I am  

I'm running the current snapshot on it.

Unfortunately there are no precompiled packages available    

Does someone know where I can get pre-compiled current packages?

thx

DaemonsGR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 04:31:45 pm »
Yes, I am   

I'm running the current snapshot on it.

Unfortunately there are no precompiled packages available   

Does someone know where I can get pre-compiled current packages?

thx
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122522\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hello, I told you that you need to compile from ports!
But I think that iamasmith can help you alot with this.

Tasos Varoudis
Tasos Varoudis (Tech)
Tasos Varoudis (Architecture)

Zaurus sl-c3100 + Wlan, Lan ,BT ,etc
NOW running... pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3 + OOo + custom apps/setup + debian +.. not yet installed OpenBSD snapshot

WAS:Cacko 1.23 + X/QT + debian

Home-Net
Debian WIFI Router ,OpenBSD Bridge Firewall ,Win 2k Domain Server , :) Sun Fire v120 , :) Gentoo Main Server: Dual PIII

DaemonsGR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 04:37:15 pm »
iamasmith why dont you make a tar of a "base" system so that someone can use openbsd+"base" tools easier!

base=X,xfce,fluxbox?, etc...
Tasos Varoudis (Tech)

NOW running... pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3 + OOo + custom apps/setup + debian +.. not yet installed OpenBSD snapshot

Home-Net
Debian WIFI Router ,OpenBSD Bridge Firewall ,Win 2k Domain Server , :) Sun Fire v120 , :) Gentoo Main Server: Dual PIII

dda71

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 04:47:43 pm »
Hello, I told you that you need to compile from ports!
But I think that iamasmith can help you alot with this.

Tasos Varoudis
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122556\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I know  but I thought may be ...  (still hoping ;-)

iamasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 10:56:45 pm »
The short answer is that I don't know who kindly builds the packages feed for the Zaurus for the snapshot fork but it doesn't happen too often. It takes a long time to build the selected packages that usually get built. - there actually aren't any 'official' packages yet and if you are going to run the snapshot then your packages 'should be' in sync with the snapshot you are running.

The safest bet to get a large stable bunch of stuff for 3.9 will be to use the 3.9 release/stable when it comes along, this means that you will be able to use the packages feed from 3.9 release and compile ports which remain (relatively) untouched between the versions.

The way I work is that I update everything from CVS every few weeks and then rebuild the lot but this does take 3-4 days of rebuild time on my Zaurus. Unfortunately this is the only sensible solution for -current since changes in the ports feeds may well be dependent upon changes in the kernel/system/utils/X/libs and so on.

Note that it is possible to keep on a cutting edge with kernel updates without updating all userland stuff.. I do this more often by updating and building the kernel sources than rebuilding the whole lot and have yet to have some dependency fail into the packages that I already have compiled.. this shouldn't be seen as a guarantee or strong indictment of this practice though and if you choose to do this please make sure you have a good backup kernel.

As far as rebuilding packages en mass from the ports tree goes I have a couple of tips..

* check out the /usr/ports/infrastructure/build/out-of-date script.. this will tell you what needs rebuilding on your system..

* if you choose to update packages rather than deinstall/reinstall them I suggest you automate a 'make clean package' rather than a 'make clean install' set of updates since the package will invariably build but the install may fail at some point with a warning. This lets you batch build and be reasonably confident that your Z is working all day and night and not sat at a prompt saying 'I refuse to update that because it may be unsafe ... use -F <option> if you really...'

* if you aren't familiar with awk then become familiar with awk... awk is your friend. - I use this to cook the output of out-of-date, pkg_info and a number of other commands... very very useful... it may be since you are reading this in the OpenBSD forum here you need no encouragement here.

(I updated the other thread too btw)

-Andy
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 11:05:26 pm by iamasmith »
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

bruce

• View Profile
    • http://bruce.howard.org
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 10:44:59 pm »
I'm presently running 3.9-current on my sl-3200 (and sl-3100) booted via pdaxom -beta3.  The sl-3200 is essentially for development while I keep the sl-3100 relatively stable for real work by updating only intermittently.

Andy, I was curious whether you've fully automated your ~weekly rebuilds of -current or whether you just manually run through the update process described earlier?  

Now that I have a second machine available, I'm hoping to automate the system and package rebuild process, ideally also compiling said with any zaurus specific compiler options for improved performance (I seem to recall one of your earlier postings mentioning significant performance gains to be had over the generic compile options used to build the downloadable arm distribution).

DaemonsGR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 04:35:51 am »
Andy what do you think about this??
ftp://ftp.kd85.com/pub/OpenBSD/3.9/packages/arm/ ?
Tasos Varoudis (Tech)

Home-Net

fredc

• View Profile
    • http://www.crowsons.com/puters/zaurus.htm
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 05:32:39 am »
Hi All,

I have just installed OpenBSD 3.9-current on my shiny new Zaurus C3200!

I'm looking forward to getting my CF Wifi card so that I can go mobile.

I've just installed Vim from there, but it looks like I'll have to build the other applications I want from sources as soon as I've copied ports.tar.gz to my Zaurus.

Fred

mathemajikian

• View Profile
    • http://exit3.i-55.com/~xikon/openbsdzaurus.html
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 04:38:56 am »
How about adding fluxbox to this collection of packages? Also is the installation of these packages similar to FreeBSD package installation, ie, pkg_add *.tgz ??? Also will these packages work with the current snapshot?

Thanks

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125682\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

fredc

• View Profile
    • http://www.crowsons.com/puters/zaurus.htm
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 05:00:06 pm »
How about adding fluxbox to this collection of packages? Also is the installation of these packages similar to FreeBSD package installation, ie, pkg_add *.tgz ??? Also will these packages work with the current snapshot?

Thanks

I built fluxbox from ports - it didn't take too long.

Although I'm now playing with ion3.

HTH

Fred

mathemajikian

• View Profile
    • http://exit3.i-55.com/~xikon/openbsdzaurus.html
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 08:38:01 am »
ION Review:  http://www.modeemi.fi/~tuomov/ion/

I built fluxbox from ports - it didn't take too long.

Although I'm now playing with ion3.

HTH

Fred
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135301\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 05:27:47 pm by mathemajikian »

ZDevil

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 02:48:57 pm »
Just wanna add a note here that I got OpenBSD installed and running on my new 3200!
The installation process is both smooth and well-documented.
There is one small thing for the faint-hearted:
After repartitioning the microdrive according to http://www.planetofidiots.com/zaurus/ (btw this is a great supplement to the official Installation guide ftp://mirror.hostfuss.com/pub/OpenBSD/sna.../INSTALL.zaurus )
and go ahead to install the system,
you may run into errors saying filesystem is full, if you create a partition for /tmp for 200MB (i am just following the suggested space allocation above and find it quite sensible), maybe i am wrong, but it seems downloading all the distribution sets in one go will cause this.
So i have to do it at two times:
The first time install bsd, bsd.rd, base41.tgz, etc41.tgz, xbase41.tgz, xetc41.tgz, which will give you the basic system.
After rebooting following the installation, just go install the rest. It seems both pkg_add and upgrading in the emergency linux will do.
BTW i was trying to configure network, which is the step between fdisk and system installation, without success. So i needed to download all the distribution set files on a card under 4.1/zaurus.

My Symbol Spectrum24 is detected but wi0 fails to initiate:
Code: [Select]
wi0: init failed
: unable to read station address

So i tried
ifconfig wi0 nwid MYSSID nwkey PASSWORDand got this:
ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: Device not configured
Now reading iamsmith's nice guide:Living With Openbsd 1, Initial Setup, but i have difficulty with understanding the technical details. Could someone give me a more concise explanation of how wifi CF works?

Surely this is yet another truly fantastic moment in my Z experience! Thank you all the devs and contributors for your hard work!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 03:26:58 am by ZDevil »

Life is too precious for hacking *too much*
Visit my Z screencap gallery[/color]
My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb
My Debian EABI feed: http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/
My OpenBSD/Zaurus feeds:  Link1, Link2
[/i][/font][/color][/size]