Author Topic: Microphone stopped working  (Read 4688 times)

novaldex

• View Profile
Microphone stopped working
« on: November 20, 2018, 04:50:24 am »
Had a really annoying thing happen to me over the weekend (and of course it would happen at the worst time), but it seems my microphone has stopped working during phone calls.

I've tried turning the Gemini both ways up, but still no sound. I can hear the remote caller, but they can't hear a thing from me, not even it being very quiet (which was an older issue I used to have).

A reboot did not solve things either.

Using external headphones is working for now (actually it's been by preferred method for better quality), but there are times when you need to quickly take a call (and of course on Saturday I seemed to have a great many urgent ones to take!)

I should be running latest firmware. Non rooted, nothing else fancy except a few apps.

Any advice please?

rasva

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 01:51:38 pm »
As first I would test microphone in some audio recording app to see it it is related to phone only or not. Then I would try another OS. (Sailfish).
Cosmo
Gemini 4G/SailfishX

In past: Zaurus SL-C3200, Jornada 728, 690, Mobilepro 900C, Sharp PC3100, HP 200LX....

novaldex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 04:25:20 am »
Forgotten that I hadn't posted a reply!

I'd been planning too & finally got my hands on a bluetooth dialler (I find it easier for calls than the Gemini), so the problem sort of went away. Only it still hasn't quite. I came to a conclusion that something had been muting my microphone in the system, as when I started using the dialler it somehow unmuted it.

But now i'm experiencing times where it's still muted & no one can hear me. I can hear them perfectly well. Best way round it is to reboot the Gemini, that at least gets things working quickly but could do with more investigation.

rasva: I appreciate the suggestions. I've been able to do some recording tests, which also don't receive audio properly. I've just not had any time to sit down & install another OS & test from there.

novaldex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 07:56:26 am »
So the problems still continue, today my bluetooth dialler decided to stop working (speaker portion), and as I can't reliably do calls on the Gemini i've had to put my SIM into some cheap phone for now. Not happy.

I keep thinking that there's something wrong with the audio jack that's causing the issues, I'm not really in a position to reflash the Gemini nor try a different OS at this minute, although I may just have to do it and suffer whatever happens. I did try an audio recorder app, although that didn't record any audio at all (or at least none that I can detect..)

novaldex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 09:01:41 am »
Updated to Oreo which is working well.

Strange headset random on/off thing is still going on, however.. I removed the bottom metal panel in order to examine the headphone jack for physical issues, and in the process the random headset thing went away! Microphone still doesn't seem to record, but this is a strange development. Could it be there's some kind of short circuit happening?

novaldex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 10:31:17 am »
After a bad call with a very angry other half, i've wiped my Gemini & started again.

Actually I flashed it from a slightly older image I downloaded from the partition tool, so it's back to 7.1.1, before anything else i'm now going to upgrade it to 8.1 and then see how it works.

I'm watching the firmware update screen just now, i've not see the headset icon appear at the top so far, and the volume controls do appear to be behaving themselves. I'll just have to see how long that lasts.

I won't say what comment was passed to me earlier about phones..

novaldex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 11:01:24 am »
8.1 upgrade doesn't work. Using the same OTA file I had from before, doing manual update, gets about 70% the way through & just stops.

Microphone in 7.1.1 completely useless, no sound at all

novaldex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 11:32:22 am »
Reverted to even older image of 7.1. This time it detected that an update was available, but only the 7.1 patch that came out late last year. Wouldn't do a manual update of 8.1, insisted I download & install that.

Attempted install, comes up with recovery & fails to update. Seems I have a partition table mismatch. Will try flashing again.

novaldex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 10:32:50 am »
Tried flashing again & can't get it past 7.1.1

Also managed to flash Sailfish with another version of Android, but hasn't solved the microphone issues.

Support request has now been logged.

novaldex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 06:55:12 am »
Arranged with Erik @ Planet to return my Gemini for a service.

Very happy with their response & assistance with this matter, should've done it ages ago.

novaldex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 06:41:15 am »
Gemini arrived at Planet yesterday, they were able to replicate the issue & found one microphone completely unresponsive. Already it's been resolved & there's a parcel on it's way back to me.

I am really impressed with Planet's support service here, all this was done in less than a week!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:41:39 am by novaldex »