Author Topic: Blue/Red LED above Tab key?  (Read 2572 times)

Roy KG

• View Profile
Blue/Red LED above Tab key?
« on: September 21, 2021, 05:27:01 pm »
On the Gemini PDA there is a small LED just above the Tab key and to the left of the keyboard letter Q key, and I would like to know what this LED is supposed to indicate. I've checked all through the manual (and for any posting here on the forum) and the only reference to it is on page 19 where it is labelled as the Power LED. Yet it doesn't light up when the Gemini is connected to a charger - there is a red LED for that in the top section, seen on the left through the same slit in the case as the Alert and Wireless LEDs. On Page 18 of the manual that is labelled Power LED too. So is the label on page 19 a mistake? I can't see any explanation for this blue/red LED. When you first switch the Gemini on, it lights up blue whilst booting, but then goes out. Normally it stays off, but occasionally it lights up red, although I have never found what triggers it to come on and there is no warning message. It can stay on a long time. In fact, often the only way I have managed to get it to go out again, is to restart the Gemini! So what exactly is this LED supposed to indicate, particularly when it is red? Anyone know? Thank you.

gymbo

• View Profile
Re: Blue/Red LED above Tab key?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 07:06:27 pm »
It is mainly a caps lock-indicator  (when red), which you usually turn on and off with "Fn" and "Tab" (sometimes it activates with other "Tab"-combinations as well).

The blue light I don't remember what stands for/signifies at the moment...

Roy KG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 11:33:03 am »
Thank you for that gymbo, I must have activated caps lock accidentally without realising it.  And even on Page 54 it doesn't mention that when activated the red LED is lit.  It probably shows how little I have used the Gemini since it arrived and then I found out it could not do any auto backup and restore, confirmed by Planet Computers.  To me a computer without a backup facility is simply no good.  I also found I could not rely on Agenda like I did with the Psion, so I went back to using my 3mx and the Gemini is mostly unused, which is a shame as I thought it was well made and looked good, but the software has let it down.  I did list all the faults with it at one time for PC but I've never heard of a software update to say any of them have been fixed. Mine is still Agenda v1.1.2 last updated 5th Oct 2018.  Thanks again.

idc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 04:52:01 am »
The blue/purple light seems to come on during boot, if I remember rightly.

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 05:49:42 pm »
The blue/purple light seems to come on during boot, if I remember rightly.
It does, as the original poster said as well. But I do seem to remember it having some use/significance later too: I'm quite sure I've seen it, but can not remember what the phone was doing that could warrant a led lighting up at the time...