Author Topic: SL-C31000 / Strange switch  (Read 5161 times)

StWtal

• View Profile
SL-C31000 / Strange switch
« on: February 01, 2020, 06:21:08 pm »
Hello All!

Another question regarding my new SL-C3100.
Please have a look at the device:

I never saw such a switch on a Zaurus before.
What might be the purpose of this switch?
Any ideas?

Rgds,
Stefan
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:58:54 pm by Varti »
1 x SL-5500 (Collie), 2 x SL-C700 (Corgi), 1 x SL-C750 (Shepherd), 1 x SL-C860 (Boxer), 2 x SL-C1000 (Akita)
2 x SL-C3000 (Spitz), 2 x SL-C3100 (Borzoi), 2 x SL-C3200 (Terrier)
And a lot of SHARP CE/PC-xxxx devices

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 04:07:32 am »
No idea, I can at least say that there's no such switch on mine. I believe it's a custom switch.... maybe used for disabling the internal drive? Have you tried to use it?

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

StWtal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 05:36:37 pm »
The switch does not seem to do anything!
I tested memory/CF/SD/HDD/internal buzzer/external sound with service menu "D+M".
It does not make any difference; regardless the position of the switch.

Rgds,
Stefan
1 x SL-5500 (Collie), 2 x SL-C700 (Corgi), 1 x SL-C750 (Shepherd), 1 x SL-C860 (Boxer), 2 x SL-C1000 (Akita)

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://github.com/greguu
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 11:53:25 pm »
Quote from: Stefan_Wtal
The switch does not seem to do anything!
I tested memory/CF/SD/HDD/internal buzzer/external sound with service menu "D+M".
It does not make any difference; regardless the position of the switch.

Rgds,
Stefan

Maybe a long shot, but the switch could be isolating the battery, allowing a hard reset without taking out the battery.Can you try to run the Zaurus while on battery only and then toggle the switch ?
If that is not it, maybe worth dismantling the Zaurus to see what it actually does, I am quite curious. There is a picture guide somewhere in this forum that shows all the steps.
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 03:29:46 am »
Yes, it might be used for the battery, or it might be used for something else and it is now just broken

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

StWtal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 05:14:21 pm »
Quote from: greguu
Maybe a long shot, but the switch could be isolating the battery, allowing a hard reset without taking out the battery.Can you try to run the Zaurus while on battery only and then toggle the switch ?
If that is not it, maybe worth dismantling the Zaurus to see what it actually does, I am quite curious. There is a picture guide somewhere in this forum that shows all the steps.
Zaurus is booting up into Kexecboot without PSU attached, regardless the position of the switch.
Maybe I will dismantle the device in the future, but for the moment I plan to install a system on it first.
This will also give a good chance to see what happens to the system when toggling the switch.

Rgds,
Stefan

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 03:26:16 am »
Zaurus is booting up into Kexecboot without PSU attached, regardless the position of the switch.
Maybe I will dismantle the device in the future, but for the moment I plan to install a system on it first.
This will also give a good chance to see what happens to the system when toggling the switch.

Rgds,
Stefan
*We are still interested in what the switch does..
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 03:03:24 am »

Rgds,
Stefan

Any chance of pictures of the inside of the Zaurus ? There is a guide on this forum somewhere on how to dismantle the Zaurus.

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 03:25:46 am »

Rgds,
Stefan

Any chance of pictures of the inside of the Zaurus ? There is a guide on this forum somewhere on how to dismantle the Zaurus.

bump

Jay7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 04:44:03 am »
I saw ppl inserting similar switches to control custom soldered in USB bluetooth/wifi modules. So I'd say the only way to know is to dismantle it

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 06:47:15 am »
Quote from: Jay7
I saw ppl inserting similar switches to control custom soldered in USB bluetooth/wifi modules. So I'd say the only way to know is to dismantle it
Yes, it might be that one.

Btw welcome! Although I have seen that you have registered here already 12 years ago  (Offtopic) Hope to meet you again on #kexecboot... I have seen ant doing some work on kexec recently.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

DiTBho

• View Profile
Re: SL-C31000 / Strange switch
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 11:40:39 am »
Is there any doc about these "hacks"? Soldered Bluetooth, etc

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2021, 12:05:11 pm »
There's a page collecting all the findings about fitting an internal wiki/BT module here:

http://www.iral.com/~albertr/linux/zaurus/wireless/

This is the topic the page referres to:

https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=13562.0

Maybe there's more info on the old wiki pages, I'll try to put them back online.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

DiTBho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2021, 12:39:51 pm »
Thanks  :D