Author Topic: Difficulties in "using" a 4G Micro-Drive in the standard CF slot C--750/SL-6000  (Read 1707 times)

miskinis

• View Profile
    • http://
Hello,

I recently acquired a few 4G micro-drives, that are designed for use in a CF type II slot.
I am hoping to make use of this on both a C-750 and SL-6000 at some point, and I started getting somewhat interested again, in using my C-750 for many tasks.

I actually have invested a few hours so far, on the C-750, just trying to get the 4GB CF micro-drive get to a point where I can use it.  The "system" (Cacko) recognizes it as far as showing that it is inserted, and also allows an eject of the device.  It correctly identifies the device and manufacturer, but that is the only indication that I get from the "OS".

But there is nothing in the "dmesg" output, and I have tried "guessing" at possible device names to pass to fdisk, but I have had no success.

If anyone has any ideas at all, that may be helpful, please pass them on...  Thank You.
_John Miskinis_

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I believe CF cards under Cacko are mounted under /mnt/cf. Anyway, microdrives are mechanical devices, so there's some possibility that yours are broken. Best thing to do is to see if they're correctly mounted on a computer, using a CF adapter.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

miskinis

• View Profile
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  I believe that I tried /mnt/cf as one of the first devices that I passed to fdisk, but that did not work.  It seems that CF memory cards work fine in the slot.

I have not tried another micro-drive, but I will.  I obtained several recently, and you may be correct, in that the device is somehow malfunctioning, but since the device shows up as being present, and is identified properly, I tend to think that there is some "device name" associated with it.  Not necessarily mounted, since there may not be a filesystem created in it yet.

Someone is dropping off a USB-based CF type II reader device, probably next week, which will allow me to hopefully see how these micro-drives work under Windows 7, and/or if I create a LINUX development system again on one of my older machines, like I used to have.

In addition, I ordered a PCMCIA to CF Type II capable adapter, that may operate correctly on my older ThinkPad 560 machine, which I hope will also be able to read and write to the micro-drive.

This whole ordeal caught me by surprise, as I really just expected a /mnt/cf that had almost 4G of free space on a FAT filesystem when I inserted the drive.
_John Miskinis_

miskinis

• View Profile
Hi,

I just noticed that in the "System Info" screen, there is one of those "warning" indicators next to the slot number.  The icon that consists of a yellow triangle with an exclamation point inside the triangle.  So, even though the device is correctly identified as a "Seagate" and a "fixed disk", there seems to be some type of error detected at some level of the OS.

Anyway, this was with a different 4G micro-drive, same type as the first one that I tried...
_John Miskinis_