Author Topic: New Batteries Anywhere? (Shipped to USA)  (Read 3736 times)

jakfish

• View Profile
New Batteries Anywhere? (Shipped to USA)
« on: February 13, 2022, 01:42:31 pm »
I have looked high and low, esp for this part number: CS-PLX600SL but I can't find replacement batteries for Gem/Cos.

Has anybody recently purchased one?

Thanks,
Jake
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 01:56:33 pm by jakfish »

sufehmi

• View Profile
Re: New Batteries Anywhere? (Shipped to USA)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 06:13:07 am »
Exactly same problem with my Cosmo.

It's now can only used for WhatsApp - because it won't let itself be copied to my other smartphone ; even then that particular WhatsApp number is managed via browser in my laptop.

So yeah, it's just sitting in my cupboard everyday.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 10:55:34 am »
These were my results, https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36882.msg299132#msg299132 - Planet has a stockpile of them but in the end I decided against ordering it. Battery itself not too expensive but too much of a hassle with the shipments. I really don't buy their explanation that they cannot ship a battery without it being inside a device.

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 10:16:59 am »
I was sceptical too I must admit but DCHL has this statement on shipping Lion batteries in the UK:

"You can send lithium-ion batteries within the UK, as long as the battery is fitted within the device. For example, if you are sending a mobile phone, make sure the battery is installed in the phone and you don’t send a spare battery or powerbank loose in the package."

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 10:20:30 am »
I was sceptical too I must admit but DCHL has this statement on shipping Lion batteries in the UK:

"You can send lithium-ion batteries within the UK, as long as the battery is fitted within the device. For example, if you are sending a mobile phone, make sure the battery is installed in the phone and you don’t send a spare battery or powerbank loose in the package."

Yep, but this is an international shipment for me.

https://www.dhl.com/discover/en-global/logistics-advice/import-export-advice/how-to-ship-batteries - batteries permitted as long as they are properly packed.

https://send.dhlparcel.co.uk/resources/sending-batteries - only within a device.

In other words, their excuse is bollocks.

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 10:22:00 am »
Oh ok fair enough missed that.

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 02:52:43 pm »
Yeah, I've certainly bought a number of third-party batteries from aliexpress and other overseas distributors (I'm in the US) and they've been vaguely wrapped in plastic and an envelope, and nobody said boo along the long way.

Jake

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 08:25:58 pm »
I have looked high and low, esp for this part number: CS-PLX600SL but I can't find replacement batteries for Gem/Cos.

Has anybody recently purchased one?

Thanks,
Jake

No batteries in any part of the world. So, I put a smaller battery 3250 mah , 3.85V here in Brazil. I used the same controller from the original battery. You must search for one wich is  thinner  or with the same thickness . It worked very well . The cost of battery and service was 120 reais , about US25 .
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 08:45:49 pm by cam1965 »

Doghouse Riley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 01:15:43 pm »
I was never able to get around to doing this on my two Cosmos so far this year.  I was planning something different but your solution is simpler and elegant.  Well done, sir!

mifritscher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2023, 10:37:26 am »
I went a similar route - details at https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36950.0 :-)

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 03:01:12 pm »
This is most intriguing.

Cam, mifritscher took steps to prevent a pcb lock-up. Did you do the same, or were you simply able to remove cable from old battery and attach to new? Then install in the Cosmo?

This is the best news I've heard in a while, Planet-wise, but I absolutely suck at soldering, even if the pcb is okay.

Jake

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2023, 06:55:38 pm »
This is most intriguing.

Cam, mifritscher took steps to prevent a pcb lock-up. Did you do the same, or were you simply able to remove cable from old battery and attach to new? Then install in the Cosmo?

This is the best news I've heard in a while, Planet-wise, but I absolutely suck at soldering, even if the pcb is okay.

Jake
Sorry for the late reply. The circuit controller from the original battery ( I think this is called BMS ) was removed and soldered in the new battery ( used only the cell from the new battery. The circuit controller of the new battery was removed and discarted ). I don' t know these terms pcb . I am from Brazil . Only to take care of polarity when soldering. I only did this. After this, I reconnected the cable of the battery on the phone. Sorry about my English. I used  a battery with the same specs as the original except for the small capacity in mAh. Used rating voltage 3.85 V and charge voltage 4.4 V.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 07:48:46 pm by cam1965 »