Author Topic: Downloading Through Firefox Causing Crashes  (Read 1466 times)

ian1035nr

• View Profile
Downloading Through Firefox Causing Crashes
« on: October 01, 2023, 10:01:45 am »
Howdy everyone,

My Cosmo has started doing something really weird, and I have no idea what to do about it.

Last week I repartitioned the device. I never used Linux, so I wanted the entirety of my onboard storage back for Android.

This went smoothly, I set Android back up, and I was on my way.

Until I tried downloading files through Firefox.

As soon as a download completes, I get messages that com.android.phone has stopped, along with any other apps I might have running in the background.

This happens with any file type, from any website. It happens with standard Firefox, the beta and the nightly release. It happens with old versions of the app.

I don't have any problem with any Chromium-based browsers. And Firefox works perfectly fine on any other phone I have. So whatever's going on here is definitely specific to the Cosmo Communicator.

I tried resetting the phone, manually wiping the data and cache partitions in recovery. I side-loaded a Firefox APK after a complete reset to make sure there weren't any apps or updates I downloaded that were interfering with it.

Nothing has helped. I'm out of ideas. And I'm not seeing anything relevant when I dump a log using logcat. Although I might be using it incorrectly.

I'm currently running v25 of the firmware. And with reports of the OTA update service being down, I'm hesitant to go nuclear and completely reflash the phone using the SP tool if it means I'll be stuck on v23
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 10:09:17 am by ian1035nr »

Robsno5

• View Profile
Re: Downloading Through Firefox Causing Crashes
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 06:31:11 am »
I downloaded Firefox and visited a number of sites down loading files ranging from 5mb to 1.5 GB. The downloads were all successful however the application did bomb out on a couple of pages and when restarting successfully displayed pages on second visit. You could try clearing the cache by holding down on the icon and going to the information page but as chrome has not exhibited this instability I suspect it is updated to work best on newer versions of Android. My Cosmo is on v23 with all space allocated to Android.