Author Topic: Cacko3k Feedback  (Read 212834 times)

Stubear

• View Profile
    • http://
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #270 on: June 15, 2005, 12:06:50 pm »
The USB connectivity worked for most of my 1.0 and 2.0 thumb drives, however one "high speed" thumb drive from DELL wasn't properly recognized by the automounter and dmesg captured some (spammy) errors.  I'll try tweaking some settings and will report my findings on this later. 

I also attempted to host a Sony digital camera, as well as an ImageTank portable 40Gb photo storage device.  I wasn't really surprised that the Zaurus didn't recognize either of these devices, but I'll post my configuration settings once I get these devices to communicate properly.

So far I'm quite pleased with C3K 1.23b1.  I still have a lot more things that I'm wanting to test... Just need to find time to test them all.  Again, great work on C3K everyone!
www.oesf.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=84306

I've got a couple of usb flash drives that the maker didn't partition, when I plug them in the automounter fails although dmesg shows that the kernel recognises sda1, sda2 and sda4. (the automounter I use tries to load sda1 only) I can mount manually with sda4, but get a few read errors, but mounting /dev/sda works fine.

Stu

P.S. I'm testing Anton's hostap drivers for the upcoming Cacko for C1K and they work perfectly with my Ambicom WL1100C (I've even been able to turn my Z into a AP - although it's not very usefull unless I have usb network running through my PC, but it's cool to be able to do )
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 07:51:23 am by Varti »
SL-C1000, Hand converted to English with Japanese Input
Running X apps via X/Qt
iRiver USB host cable; Diatec P-Cord usb power cable (extendable); Acro's Reel Cable USB (A to A, B, Mini-B,  & Mini-B 8pin); GreenHouse 1Gb PicoDrive+; 2x256Mb Hagiwara SD cards; 128Mb Transcend CF card; 512Mb PQI CF card; AmbiCom WL1100C-CF 11B WLAN card

Jacknife

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #271 on: June 15, 2005, 02:08:58 pm »
Are you sure you have an Ambicom WL1100C and not an Ambicom WL1100B? Several people, including myself, have not had much luck with the WL1100C and 1.23b, I'm very surprised that yours has just 'worked'!!! Any tips? www.oesf.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=84314

I'm sure that my card is an AmbiCom WL1100C-CF card. However, this is my second card.  The first one that I purchased was never recongized by my Z (even with tweaking the config files), so I exchanged it on the off chance that the card was bad.  The replacement card has worked great, although it gets a little warm after a few hours of surfing.

I don't know if Cacko 1.23b1 erased all of the configurations that I made to get my card to work with the Stock ROM, but I'll try to check while I'm at work today.  Anyway, I've gotta bail for now.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 07:52:10 am by Varti »

Jacknife

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #272 on: June 16, 2005, 03:55:07 am »
Are you sure you have an Ambicom WL1100C and not an Ambicom WL1100B? Several people, including myself, have not had much luck with the WL1100C and 1.23b, I'm very surprised that yours has just 'worked'!!! Any tips? www.oesf.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=84314
I've been looking around some since I've gotten home and have noticed that most of the configuration files have been overwritten by flashing to C3Kb1, however I did notice one of the old files that I modified was still on the system:  /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.conf

I originally added the following entry to "/etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.conf" using the information that I noted from "cardctl ident 0" while still on the stock Sharp ROM...
Code: [Select]
card "AmbiCom WL1100 11Mbps 802.11b WLAN Card"
   version "OEM", "PRISM2 IEEE 802.11 PC-Card", "Version 01.02"
   bind "prism2_cs"

I didn't notice any issues with the C3Kb1 versions of "/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts", "/etc/pcmcia/spectrum.conf", nor "/etc/pcmcia/network.opts". However I do remember needing to edit them on the Sharp ROM in order to get my AmbiCom card to work with my home network. 

Please also note my earlier comment about needing to use "Infrastructure" mode instead of "Ad-Hoc" when connecting to a Wireless LAN.  Oh, and  also make sure that the network is configured as an "Open System" and not set to either "Shared Key" or the "Both" options.  (There appears to be some bugs associated with these settings.)

Hope this helps!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 07:52:23 am by Varti »

Bart Beumer

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #273 on: June 18, 2005, 12:37:55 pm »
Running Cacko ROM for SL-C3000 (SLC3kKb1) since a couple of day's ago.

First flash of my device (flashing allway's makes me a bit worried). Everything seems to work fine. Some minor problems though:

1) USB mouse
Absolutely no problem. I've even found out that it is possible to use the right mouse button and the scroll button. GREAT!

2) USB Keyboard
USB Keyboard seems a bit buggy. Keymapping is not OK, but I guess that is due to changed mapping of the zaurus it's own keyboard. Initializing of the keyboard is not completely ok either. Sometimes it won't work (haven't found out a pattern).

3) SSH
SSH is standard on in cacko. This itself is no problem, but the absence of a password for the root account is a security problem. Maybe 2 extra lines in the readme?

3) Wlan Prism2
No problems. here. Got kismet running. WPA would be nice though.

Overall I think this is a very nice ROM for the zaurus. It's without a doubt better than the standard rom. Maybe later I will switch to a ROM that uses X for the GUI, but in the meantime this is very nice

asola

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #274 on: June 20, 2005, 05:35:53 pm »
I switched to the SLC3Kb1 ROM from the Sharp ROM 1.11 about a week ago. It has been stable since than. I am happy with it because it recognised my Eagletec bluetooth card which was completely dead with the Sharp ROM.

I have recently had a problem with sudo (kills the APM and you cannot suspend the C3000 after you have installed it) but this seems to be a generic problem, not Cacko specific.

Everything else seems to be working perfectly.

Great work guys !!!
Zaurus SL-C3000, Pretec OC-WLBXX-A Wifi CF card, 128/256Mb CF memory cards
(OS: Trying to get OpenZaurus/GPE work with my Z, I would like to have Debian and X-Windows on my machine with Abiword, Gnumeric and Sylpheed)

Jacknife

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #275 on: August 31, 2005, 04:23:44 am »
Unfortunately my work life has been very busy lately, and I haven't had as much time as I would like to help test the Cacko3Kb environment.  However I have noticed one feature that I'm not very fond of:  When the "Add/Remove Software" utility exits after installing an IPK, it will display the "Files" tab momentarily before switching back to the "PIM" tab.

I've been trying to find a way to keep the focus on the Files tab (preferably on the last ipk installed) but haven't had much luck.  Has anyone else noticed this?

euroclie

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #276 on: August 31, 2005, 04:39:42 am »
I've been trying to find a way to keep the focus on the Files tab (preferably on the last ipk installed) but haven't had much luck.  Has anyone else noticed this?
www.oesf.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=93867
Yeah, I've noticed this as well. I wish Qtopia would give you more control on that focus thing. Basically, I'd be happier if I could get back to the launcher when I exit an application instead of having the focus set on the second opened application on the taskbar (the first being the application you're exiting). This would make it more similar to other OSes I'm used to (PalmOS, for instance).

As for the focus when installing an IPK, I suspect that when you exit the Add/Remove Software applet, there's some sort of refresh done on the launcher (to show the new tab and/or icon for the recently installed application), and this refresh would prevent the file manager to remain on the IPK file (or its directory at least) even if the focus remained on the file manager itself instead of shifting to the second application in your taskbar.

Maybe there's a way to add a launcher icon in the taskbar (or to trick the OS into thinking that one of the running tasks is the launcher), and we'd get a step closer to what you (and I) are looking for?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 07:50:58 am by Varti »
Patrick

akpoff

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2005, 11:40:29 pm »
I loaded Cacko 3k beta 1 a couple of days ago.  Works great, less filling!  

Seriously, install was smooth.  All the applications work very well.  My Socket BT Rev G is working, though with fits described below.  Also, the 'N' icon in the task bar is always on.  I'm sure I've seen somewhere how to turn it off but can't remember for the life of me where.

I have noticed a couple of issues with BT.  When I first insert the card the tray icon to connect doesn't appear.  I have to enter the Networking application and make my first connection from there.  Also, I can't save changes to the speed pull down in the modem tab.  The latter probably isn't Cacko related but I mention if someone has some ideas how to fix it.  I haven't paid any attention yet to suspend/resume to see how that's working.

Sometime in the next few days I'll try Pocket Debian and load a few more apps.

Aaron

Jacknife

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #278 on: September 16, 2005, 02:51:06 am »
... I suspect that when you exit the Add/Remove Software applet, there's some sort of refresh done on the launcher ... www.oesf.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=93870
There's definitely a refresh of the QT shell upon exit of the package installer. After thinking a little more about the refresh issue, I'm not so sure that it's related to Cacko.

I suspect that there's some call to Qcop based on the exit code of the package installer.  There may be a way to trap that call, and maintain focus on the Files tab afterwards - just need to increase my understanding of the environment/shell. Anyway I think that is now an off-topic discussion, so I'm not going to press the matter further.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 07:49:15 am by Varti »

terryleung83

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #279 on: September 25, 2005, 12:39:37 pm »
I am not sure if it is a bug or not
The Z has crushed several times at the same point
it is about the display with magnified screen
(tap on the icon of some games, and there will be this option)
whenever this is clicked, and i run the app it may crush sometimes(not all the times)
but if i unclicked this , it works!
however, there is always some app work better with this option clicked
the game is here http://www.cs.unc.edu/~scheuerm/froot/froot_0.7.1_arm.ipk
not only this game, but other are the same when the option is clicked , it may crush during the process to magnify the screen

to give it more detail:

pdfReader and the emulator package from cresho also suffer this bug if the option of magnifying screen is selected
also, the opera browser has a bit of relation to this bug...

previously, i have installed the opera 7.55 package(obtain here from one of the thread)
if i run the opera and then turn it off, then i run one of these program with the option selected, it MUST crush
now i change the version of opera back to 7.30. with it, these program dont crush all the time, but they crush sometimes!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 01:06:08 pm by terryleung83 »

Cyril92

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #280 on: September 26, 2005, 08:59:37 am »
whenever this is clicked, and i run the app it may crush sometimes(not all the times)
not only this game, but other are the same when the option is clicked , it may crush during the process to magnify the screen
www.oesf.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=96977
That is exactly what I noticed, and decided to avoid this version .
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 07:50:17 am by Varti »
SL-C760 (Cacko ROM), 256Mb CF,512Mb SD
Pentopia stylus 3in1,CF wifi , CE-RH1
looking for : SL5500
Previous : C3000,C860 & 6000L.

Kerensa

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #281 on: November 24, 2005, 03:42:34 am »
Just flashed to this ROM and cleared as detailed. Its great!

I found an instance when the cyrkeyboard and time displays become corrupt. When the Z is open in clamshell and a vertical display app is launched. Rotation into vertical the issue remains. If the app is closed wile in clamshell it returns to normal.

The Z will also reboot in the following case:
1. Z open in clamshell
2. Launch vertical app - backgammon for instance (corrupt keyboard)
3. Rotate Z into vertical closed (corrupt keyboard)
4. Close the app
5. Rotate screen to clamshell

k
Zaurus SL-C3000 with C3Kb1
- Thinking about Debian
Ambicon WLAN CF Card
IOData CFXGA

rohanoberoi

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #282 on: November 30, 2005, 10:01:27 am »
Not sure if this is a configuration option I haven't figured out yet.  After flashing Cacko on my C1000, text files in French which were readable under the Sharp ROM are suddenly full of control characters where the accents used to be.
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

elektron

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #283 on: December 20, 2005, 04:48:02 pm »
hello -

running cacko slc3kb1 now for a few days. my SanDisk ConnectPlus doesn't work. googling it, looks like i need hostap drivers or some such. everything else looks awesome, i like the look and feel better than openzaurus.. bootup time seems faster too.

keep up the good work.

/me awaits the second beta :-)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 04:49:29 pm by elektron »

piku

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #284 on: January 14, 2006, 01:24:02 pm »
www.oesf.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=96977
That is exactly what I noticed, and decided to avoid this version .
www.oesf.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=97083

Installing a newer SDL (like the one with BVDD) might curb this behavior.  If you use any SDL applications and you have the slzaurus version installed, that's your prob.   I haven't had that crash for a long time now.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 07:51:50 am by Varti »