Author Topic: GNURoot Debian and fonts  (Read 1654 times)

salvomic

• View Profile
GNURoot Debian and fonts
« on: June 11, 2018, 05:00:08 pm »
hi,
I installed GNURoot Debian in the Gemini (not rooted), then LXDE. The X Window starts well (with XSDL server: export DISPLAY=:0) but the fonts are too small, expecially those on the XTerm: how to set them to get them readable, please? I use Gnome and there is easier to do it...

Altogether, it is nice to use Debian (for now Jessie, 8, within a few days they should update to Stretch, 9) with the keyboard and a USB Microsoft mouse, a part of the fonts, ok for the menu but not in the terminal...

Salvo
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:00:33 pm by salvomic »
Gemini, Psion S5 and S5mx, iPhone, iPad, Huawei MediaPad M5, some HP calculators.
Psion Fans Italia moderator

vader

• View Profile
GNURoot Debian and fonts
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 11:05:57 pm »
Quote from: salvomic
hi,
I installed GNURoot Debian in the Gemini (not rooted), then LXDE. The X Window starts well (with XSDL server: export DISPLAY=:0) but the fonts are too small, expecially those on the XTerm: how to set them to get them readable, please? I use Gnome and there is easier to do it...

Altogether, it is nice to use Debian (for now Jessie, 8, within a few days they should update to Stretch, 9) with the keyboard and a USB Microsoft mouse, a part of the fonts, ok for the menu but not in the terminal...

Salvo

You can start an xterm with:

xterm -fa Monospace -fs 14

change 14 to whatever size font you want. You can alternatively edit your xresources file. I found the fonts under XSDL weird and not entirely consistent. The bottom bar is broken in the openbox-session (I am still messing with it). If you use the vnc server, then all the fonts are correct, but other things need attention (eg. background). Most apps can support font settings, you just need to find them and modify the shortcuts/menu items that start them. A bit of setup, but hopefully once you get it working, you won't touch it again.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
GNURoot Debian and fonts
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:05:38 am »
Salvo,

Did you follow me the directions on this page?

https://github.com/gemian/gemini-keyboard-apps/wiki/DebianTP

Hope this helps,

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

salvomic

• View Profile
GNURoot Debian and fonts
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:06:42 am »
Quote from: ArchiMark
Salvo,

Did you follow me the directions on this page?

https://github.com/gemian/gemini-keyboard-apps/wiki/DebianTP

Hope this helps,

Mark

thank you Vader and thank you Mark,
I'll read that page and follow also the Vader advice.

Salvo
Gemini, Psion S5 and S5mx, iPhone, iPad, Huawei MediaPad M5, some HP calculators.

salvomic

• View Profile
GNURoot Debian and fonts
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 04:02:08 am »
Problem with Italian keyboard and GNURoot Debian: there is no dash "-". It should be made with FN+". :" key but that combination returns a "." (like "." key), I cannot find any other dash (a part of "_" underscore: FN+"M").
Any help?

EDIT: the same problem is in Terms Desktop Terminal (Openbox): no dash elsewhere
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:26:03 am by salvomic »