Author Topic: Astro Slide in Germany: finding a mobile network operator that actually works  (Read 2663 times)

slide

• View Profile
Unfortunately, my 4G Telekom SIM card works with my new Astro Slide only if I restrict the network type to 2G, that is, I get data speeds like 15 years ago, if I am lucky enough to be in an area that still has 2G coverage. 4G doesn't work: the Astro Slide manages to stay connected to the 4G network for a couple of seconds only, then disconnects, and the process repeats. It is totally unusable as a phone on 4G. Of course, mobile data is also unusable on 4G.

So, my experience is this:

Telekom 2G: works
Telekom 3G: no longer available
Telekom 4G: does not work
Telekom 5G: don't know

What's your experience with the other networks (Vodafone, Telefónica) and with 5G on the Telekom network?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 09:20:11 am by slide »

AP756

• View Profile
I think you should ask your provider (must be a problem with them). Personally I use O2 which runs quite well - even if I didn't see 5G (theoretically it works).

Bye for now  Fred

« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 06:52:19 am by AP756 »

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What APN are you using, and is the correct one? Also try to switch to IPV4 only, if you're using an IPv6 connection.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

slide

• View Profile
The APN doesn't matter as the problem also occurs without using mobile data. I'm not the only one who cannot use the Astro Slide as a phone with a Telekom SIM card on 4G: there was at least one comment to that effect on IGG.

I guess the problem is the same as for EE in GB, but the Astro Slide devices destined for Germany may not have received the firmware fix that supposedly solves the EE problem. BTW, the SIM card works without problems in a Gemini PDA and a Cosmo Communicator.

(Yes, I tried both the IPv4 and the IPv6 APN, no difference.)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 09:21:32 am by slide »

Neophy

• View Profile
Telefónica also works (4G and 2G, cannot test 5G).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 07:07:30 am by Neophy »

Oliver Riesen

• View Profile
Unfortunately, my 4G Telekom SIM card works with my new Astro Slide only if I restrict the network type to 2G, that is, I get data speeds like 15 years ago, if I am lucky enough to be in an area that still has 2G coverage. 4G doesn't work: the Astro Slide manages to stay connected to the 4G network for a couple of seconds only, then disconnects, and the process repeats. It is totally unusable as a phone on 4G. Of course, mobile data is also unusable on 4G.

Same for me. See https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36862.0

MadMac

• View Profile
I can confirm the problem with Deutsche Telekom, I have a SIM card from fraenk which is using their mobile network.

polarwinkel

• View Profile
I have the same issues with my telekom-Sim: Connection keeps dropping and reconnecting.
The dropping can sometimes be reproduced when using data: Just when I start using it it drops, reconnecting shortly after.
I didn't have the problem with my vodafone-SIM which uses no data.

But if I insert both sim-cards an I use data in the Telekom-network _both_ network connections, Telekom _and_ Vodafone, drop.

IK6yae0s

• View Profile
I can confirm same behavior. It also happens on 5G an a configured eSIM on SIM2 (but both at same time, SIM1 and eSIM2 looks like not working, but this is another issue)
By the way the same eSIM on my Cosmo does not have this problem with re/disconnecting and putting the sim in my Sony Xperia III 10 have better stability than in the Astro and Cosmo.

Could it be possible that the astro have problems because using different freq band for DTAG than O₂/Vodafone it does?

In this case it could be a hw problem of design if many people have this problem.

Edit:
My SIM1 and eSIM issue is solved so I have now put my main SIM in the real SIM1 slot (labeled as SIM2) and could also activate eSIM on the real SIM2 slot.
So now i can check whats happen with the connection and the stability on both SIM slots. Remark, both sim are linked to the same number and the same contract, but only SIM1 can handle SMS messaging.

Maybe and my hope is the problem occurs only on SIM2 so SIM1 using is more stable. I'll report.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 11:52:37 am by IK6yae0s »