Author Topic: When A Wifi Card Goes Bad?  (Read 5724 times)

Omicron

• View Profile
    • http://
When A Wifi Card Goes Bad?
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:34:55 am »
I am using a DLink WIFI card and it always worked great.

Lately I started using my Z again and when I put the card in it is recognized but it never connects, it just says "Network offline".

Sometimes I eject and re-insert the card and I get card unsupported (but ussually it recognizes it the first time,  this only happen of Eject/reinsert.

Oddly, on my C3200 it shows some activity in the WIFI monitor app, but while it shows the MAC address of the card for a while, the Mac Address will then suddenly disappear but the activity remains (signal strength/quality strong, but very little IO since it doesn't connect).  

Anyway, I am wondering if this indicates that the CF card is dying/dead or if there is some other tests I should try before giving up the ghost on this one?
"You Shall Not Pass"    
....Gandalf, Lord Of The Rings
--------------------------------------------------------------
C-860 (Cacko), 3x4gb MD  
DLINK 660W, 1GB SD,  
Upgraded Archos AV320 w/80GB HDD
Pocketop and Targus IR keyboards
Favorite Deal Site: SaveCity.net (pretty cool, good deals daily on one page)

deluxe

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 12:37:54 pm »
Quote from: Omicron
I am using a DLink WIFI card and it always worked great.

Lately I started using my Z again and when I put the card in it is recognized but it never connects, it just says "Network offline".

Sometimes I eject and re-insert the card and I get card unsupported (but ussually it recognizes it the first time,  this only happen of Eject/reinsert.

Oddly, on my C3200 it shows some activity in the WIFI monitor app, but while it shows the MAC address of the card for a while, the Mac Address will then suddenly disappear but the activity remains (signal strength/quality strong, but very little IO since it doesn't connect).  

Anyway, I am wondering if this indicates that the CF card is dying/dead or if there is some other tests I should try before giving up the ghost on this one?

It may well be possible to reflash the card firmware, it's certainly worth a try.
http://junsun.net/linux/intersil-prism/
Neill Currie
Hillsborough
Nh, USA.
---------
SL-C3100, Cacko "heavy" ROM.
SL-C1000, Cacko "heavy" ROM.
A SL-5500 with TKrom.
Ambicom and Symbol CF wifi, 8gb Seagate Microdrive, <4gb Transcend SD. Assorted other digital detritus.
---------
Owner of a Nokia n810 Internet Tablet.
Also a Nokia n800, and a 4th generation iPod Touch.
---------

Omicron

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:43:33 pm »
Cool!, I will give that a try!

Thanks.
"You Shall Not Pass"    
....Gandalf, Lord Of The Rings
--------------------------------------------------------------
C-860 (Cacko), 3x4gb MD  
DLINK 660W, 1GB SD,  
Upgraded Archos AV320 w/80GB HDD
Pocketop and Targus IR keyboards
Favorite Deal Site: SaveCity.net (pretty cool, good deals daily on one page)