Author Topic: How To Upgrade Cacko  (Read 2070 times)

fir

• View Profile
How To Upgrade Cacko
« on: February 09, 2005, 06:27:04 am »
Several times since I got my Z I've seen someone ask this same question:  I want to upgrade my Cacko ROM, how do I save my data?

The only answer I've ever seen is to use your desktop PIM to hold the data and resync back to the Z after flashing.  But I, and probably many others, are not setup to sync to a desktop PIM, so this option is not available to us.

I don't need to save everything on the unit - just the data in the sharp applications (contacts, tasks, appointments, etc.)  It is my understanding that we do not have source for these applications and so the apps, and the data formats, are identical in each new ROM.  It must be possible then to copy this data somewhere and restore it after flashing.

This is not an academic question for me.  I am eager to install Cacko 1.22, but I rely on the business data in my unit and cannot just start clean.

Where is this data stored?  Has anyone managed to restore it after a flash upgrade?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help...

Frank.

Stubear

• View Profile
    • http://
How To Upgrade Cacko
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 07:17:16 am »
The data for the Sharp PIM apps are stored in /home/zaurus/Applications/dtm on the C760 and C860 (I assume it's in the same place for the C700 and C750 but have never used them so can't be sure)

If you copy all files in this directory to SD card and later copy them back you will get your PIM data back. You may need to change the permissions of the files after copying them back, but I've never had a problem.

If the data isn't immediately viewable you may need to reboot - something to do with the quick launch I think

Stu
SL-C1000, Hand converted to English with Japanese Input
Running X apps via X/Qt
iRiver USB host cable; Diatec P-Cord usb power cable (extendable); Acro's Reel Cable USB (A to A, B, Mini-B,  & Mini-B 8pin); GreenHouse 1Gb PicoDrive+; 2x256Mb Hagiwara SD cards; 128Mb Transcend CF card; 512Mb PQI CF card; AmbiCom WL1100C-CF 11B WLAN card

fir

• View Profile
How To Upgrade Cacko
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 07:22:29 am »
Thanks Stu - that's just what I needed to know.  I see a ROM upgrade in my near future...

Frank.

mikew

• View Profile
How To Upgrade Cacko
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 10:16:57 am »
fir

One other thing, the new Cacko rom requires the DTM file names to be in upper case the old version required lower case, just rename them by adding a '1' to the end of each & then change to upper case & remobe '1', details in the Cacko FAQ.

Mike
C3200, C760 Cacko 1.23 ROM, 1gb SD, 1gb CF, WiFi, Imate Jasjar & Psion Netbook