Author Topic: Keyboard-mat  (Read 181 times)

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
Keyboard-mat
« on: April 18, 2024, 03:27:03 pm »
Hi

I am using my astro as a daily driver and i am quite happy with it. UNfortunately, the ESC key once got stuck and perforated 2 connection on the keyboard mat. Thus, ESC and 1 key do not work anymore. As a workaround, I remapped ! and 1, but this is not very comfortable.

Is there any way to get hold of a keyboard mat? Any idea about the ODM to ask them directly? Planet, of course, never answered my mail.

A second option for me would be to transplant the mat of my still working cosmo. But before doing so, I would like to have an idea, whether the two are interchangeable? Any hints?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 08:21:07 am by LinuxGuy »

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
Re: Keyboard-map
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 11:45:44 pm »
Have you asked a phone repair shop if it's repairable?

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
Re: Keyboard-map
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 04:36:42 am »
Hi Zimbix

Thanks for your reply.
I never thought of this option, as the astro is such an exotic device. One of the tiny conductors on the mat got interrupted by the key

But it worth a try, in my town there is a repair shop - I will report, what they say.

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
Re: Keyboard-mat
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 07:54:20 am »
Hi,

tried with my local repair-shop. He was kind of astonished over this device - and said, they only take main-stream... :-( ... if I could only get hold of the connector mat! Ifixit doesnt have spares either ...

Robsno5

• View Profile
Re: Keyboard-mat
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 05:32:13 pm »
Is it possible to lift the the mat in that corner and use a tiny amount  of contact adhesive to secure a small carbon pad to repair the hole. I don't profess to know the exact method planets keyboard uses but if they work by pushing a carbon pad against a contact on the board below then I assume the carbon pad is what was punctured, so I was thinking you may be able to patch it? Otherwise sounds likely the Cosmo mat is the same but seems a last resort if the Cosmo is still ok. Another possible would be to transplant the rubber cone from another key on the astro. I would try planet again as they will have Cosmo keyboard mats even if they couldn't get many Astro spares
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 05:42:05 pm by Robsno5 »