Author Topic: UK Backers - when do you expect your Gemini?  (Read 7032 times)

Calamityspice

• View Profile
UK Backers - when do you expect your Gemini?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 09:00:45 pm »
I got mine. Expect a flood of UK  buyers posting the same.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 06:10:45 am »
I got a reply back from Planet support, here's just the relevant lines.

We are still processing orders between the 3XXX and 4XXX ranges so I am confident yours will be locked and shipped to you very soon - possibly by the end of this month. As always, we appreciate your patience and we are looking forward to delivering your unit.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 11:46:07 am »
God-damn disappointing news (for backers with order IDs greater than 4500).

Quote from: speculatrix
I got a reply back from Planet support, here's just the relevant lines.

We are still processing orders between the 3XXX and 4XXX ranges so I am confident yours will be locked and shipped to you very soon - possibly by the end of this month. As always, we appreciate your patience and we are looking forward to delivering your unit.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 11:48:59 am »
Quote from: Ifanafi

well, you know, I literally placed my order days before the indiegogo phase expired and the special price for backers finished, so I am just grateful that I managed to get in and get the discount.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Tritium

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 03:07:56 pm »
Quote from: speculatrix

well, you know, I literally placed my order days before the indiegogo phase expired and the special price for backers finished, so I am just grateful that I managed to get in and get the discount.
Hey me too, nabbed it the day before the price went up! I also do not have my Gemini yet. There is a UK web retailer clove.co.uk (they started out selling Psions    ) who say they will have stock by 18th June. I would assume UK buyers will get their Geminis by that date at the latest.

Tritium

Alius

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 01:31:30 pm »
Quote from: Tritium
Hey me too, nabbed it the day before the price went up! I also do not have my Gemini yet. There is a UK web retailer clove.co.uk (they started out selling Psions    ) who say they will have stock by 18th June. I would assume UK buyers will get their Geminis by that date at the latest.

Tritium

Ah Clove, there's a name I have not heard in a while!

andrewl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 05:03:27 am »

My order is 47xx and delivered over a week ago. I know that there are much higher numbers than that delivered.

It's a standard 4G with a UK keyboard and no accessories or camera, so I think it was a simple fulfilment option.

It seems the following might cause delays in delivery:
  • Keyboard choice not a popular one
  • Wifi only
  • Ordered with accessories/all-in
  • Ordered with camera
It should not be long now, the production which is outsourced and not under control of Planet seem to be on stream now, instead of fitting in sporadic weeks. The backers should all be done by June and then they will be building for retail and stock.

Hopefully the Planet guys can start work on version 2.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:04:01 am by andrewl »

Calamityspice

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 04:14:39 pm »
Didn't Clove also do stuff for Windows PDAs when they were a thing? I'm sure I remember buying aluminium cases for a Toshiba & 2 Dell pocket PCs?

And an SD card, back in the day when an offline copy of Wikipedia would fit on a128 MB card.

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 11:11:59 am »
I DO NOT expect shipping notification (via Hong Kong to east-coast USA) on or before Thursday, May 31st.

Best efforts aside, Planet's optimism for reaching its delivery targets has resulted in them over-promising and under-delivering.

In their defense, Planet has doubtless learned much from the mistakes, missteps and other things gone wrong outside their control during the Gemini campaign.

So, that said, I trust, and expect frankly, that Planet won't make the same mistakes IF AND WHEN they get around to Gemini 2.0.

P.S. Replies telling me to be patient, or defending PC in any which way... are not welcomed.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 06:33:10 am »
last day of May and the checker hasn't been updated to say if they're going to start shipping orders over either number 4500 or non us/uk keyboards

andrewl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 06:39:09 am »
It's pretty obvious the perk checker cannot be kept up to date as was hoped, because the information needed for it just doesn't come through smoothly enough.
But it's quite easy to understand what the situation is just by following the project. The stuff communicated directly is so much better than the pointless checker thing.

From that I expect that most 4G units backed on Indiegogo before May 15 will be sent before mid June. The remaining units backed on Indiegogo after May 15 and all the WiFi only units will be sent in the last 2 weeks of June.

I don't understand why people are still trying to use the checker, there's no point. Even when it is updated it's still a best guess.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:40:08 am by andrewl »

Jos

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2018, 02:15:27 pm »
The checker as i notice is almost a month overdue and updating on a weekly base...nha.
I dont mind as my ordernr. is in the 8xxx it will take a few weeks and i can use this time to get to know all the tips and tricks you people discover for me and others. Also as time goes by more will be written about accesories and hardware isues and later batches will be (i hope) solve a few of the problems. Also the manufactor will get used to production processes and therefore there will be less failure.
(I'm an optimist)

So why need a checker?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 02:21:07 pm by Jos »

andrewl

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 03:19:47 am »
Quote from: Jos
So why need a checker?

I think the checker was perceived as a good idea and didn't work out. The problem is that backers who don't follow the project expect it to work, when in fact there are far better ways to follow progress. The difficulties of production to demand are more difficult to forecast than most people know.

Dewcal

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 01:22:27 pm »
Have seen that my order 4#45xx for UK QWERTY WiFi + 4G has been locked today - still awaiting delivery details.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 01:22:47 pm by Dewcal »

drand

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 11:25:18 am »
UK WiFi only 388x (Dec 17) locked this afternoon. Expecting a flurry of similar.