Author Topic: Openzaurus 3.5.4 Status  (Read 21408 times)

CoreDump

• View Profile
    • http://www.hentges.net
Openzaurus 3.5.4 Status
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2006, 03:00:58 pm »
I agree...what do you need...

(You know, I'd buy OZ if it was "polished".  That would make history wouldn't it?  The first PDA OS that is completely independent of the PDA manufacturer.)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118933\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Ahh, polish you say. Polishing things is my hobby  

The problem is the following: In the loose community that is OE (ie: OZ, Fam, OS etc)
it is very unlikely that you will find many people working on polish in general.
We are just folks who do what they like, when they like. IOW: Nobody is paid to work on a specific part of the system, be it polish, bugfixing or something else.

So if noone is in the "mood" to fix bugs or polish things, it's just not going to happen.
And I can perfectly understand that creating new applications is more "fun" for most devs than the monotone (pun intended) task of fixing bugs, checking the bugtracker and the like  

This is the reason why there are still some very annyoing, ancient bugs in OZ (try to mount your SD card with "mount /media/card", this one is soooooo trivial to fix, it's not even funny), Opie (say hello to the mendium-mount dialog of death on first-boot) or GPE (*cough* fonts / DPI on 640x480 *cough*, ok, I didn't check this one for some week heh).

Nobody is in the mood to fix them
Webmaster of hentges.net & Embedded Linux Developer.

Hrw

• View Profile
Openzaurus 3.5.4 Status
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2006, 03:57:18 pm »
Status update:
- feeds created, hand optimised a bit,
- added some stuff which failed to build for Mickeyl (like perl 5.8.7)
- added feed/contrib/justinp/ with his GNU emacs build made on Zaurus
- cross SDK created
- BitBake archived
- OpenEmbedded metadata archived

I'm thinking about 'feed/contrib/' like pdaX have.
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.

Hrw

• View Profile
Openzaurus 3.5.4 Status
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2006, 04:01:21 pm »
We are just folks who do what they like, when they like. IOW: Nobody is paid to work on a specific part of the system, be it polish, bugfixing or something else.

Few days ago one user asked me about CFXGA card support in OpenZaurus. I searched, found kernel driver, some utils, API documentation and it is supported. I even started to write util to do some things with card.

Why I did it? Simple - got donation so I felt that it would be nice from me to do something for him in return.
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.

koen

• View Profile
    • http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/
Openzaurus 3.5.4 Status
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2006, 04:10:06 pm »
The problem is the following: In the loose community that is OE (ie: OZ, Fam, OS etc)
i[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119052\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Enter Ångström
With the release policy mickeyl and I have drafted up (to be published soon) such bugs would plainly block the release till they get fixed, or in rare occasions, waived. With the old teams combined we can actually have a release policy
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 04:14:26 pm by koen »
Forums are not bugtrackers!!! Smart questions
Ångström release team
iPAQ h2210, iPAQ h5550, iPAQ hx4700, Zaurus SL-C700, Nokia 770, all running some form of GPE
My blog