Author Topic: How To Install Debian On Your Zaurus (obsolete)  (Read 116876 times)

tux

• View Profile
    • http://
How To Install Debian On Your Zaurus (obsolete)
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2007, 05:55:07 pm »
Quote from: ZDevil
Not only this, I agree with 2or0 that some of the packages and the scripts in the after installation tarball (now 1.1  ) are not suitable for the Angstrom kernels. And his X server is no longer Angstrom's as well. So YMMV.
Sorry for the confusion caused so far, because my 3200 is running the yonggun kernel so there is no way for me to check how the same things may work for the Angstrom kernel. I just started out naively presuming that it's the same, but that seems not to be the case.
If it turns out that the script works somehow or need some modification, please do!
Posting to the OESF wiki now ...
 After BigZ's flirtation with cortez-debian, we got thrown out by the partitioner refusing to work, I'm back using Q17. I'm using the poky 2.6.21 kernel and modules. The only glitch is, seems to be true for angstrom kernels too, is that I couldn't use the poky updater.sh. It didn't recognise my model (3200). So I used the updater.sh from bigbridge.  

I'm into the 2nd script. By the way, with this kernel+module set, the eth2 bit doesn't work.   What happens is that wlan0 works in the interfaces file but eth0 gets a mention at boot up! I also had to blacklist hostap before I could get a wifi connection working.  So there is a diversion from the normal run there.

When the 2nd script begins to run the applieddata repository comes up with error messages and 404s. I'll comment that line out of sources.list for now. The gnuab repository seems to be very alive!  

I'm going to hold off on trying to run a gui until I'm sure that everything else is working as  per the advertisements!  In particular the touchscreen stuff.  

Yesterday, after interfering with your scripts, I did get to a gui. But there was no response to the screen, even though the libs and apps you mention were present. I'm trying to be a very good boy and let your scripts run without my interference.   I'll get a drink of tea and go for a walk after the 2nd script stops and I reboot. I'll post later on when I've tried a few experimental uses of the system.
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

jpmatrix

• View Profile
    • http://matrixmen.free.fr
« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2007, 06:16:41 pm »
Quote from: tux
Yesterday, after interfering with your scripts, I did get to a gui. But there was no response to the screen, even though the libs and apps you mention were present. I'm trying to be a very good boy and let your scripts run without my interference.   I'll get a drink of tea and go for a walk after the 2nd script stops and I reboot. I'll post later on when I've tried a few experimental uses of the system.

i've the same problem
to suceed i have to:

1- edit /root/.profile
and change TSLIB_DEVICE with /dev/input/touchscreen0
(or try /dev/input/event1)

2- edit /etc/ts.conf
and comment the line module_raw corgi

3- if you use the 0827 rootfs :
update-rc.d -f xads.sh remove

this worked for me right now
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  
**ex-Zaurus SL-C3000 owner with Debian kernel 2.6.24-yonggun

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2007, 06:27:07 pm »
Quote from: jpmatrix

i've the same problem
to suceed i have to:

1- edit /root/.profile
and change TSLIB_DEVICE with /dev/input/touchscreen0
(or try /dev/input/event1)

2- edit /etc/ts.conf
and comment the line module_raw corgi

3- if you use the 0827 rootfs :
update-rc.d -f xads.sh remove

this worked for me right now
 Thanks for those tips jpmatrix. I'll probably need them tomorrow.   For tonight, what do I do with my empty fstab? Yes, I will look at the fstab on the hitachi I swapped out. But does anyone have some good tweaks for that file? I just stopped myself from doing a dist-upgrade. Does it break things?

By the way apart from the empty fstab, I also get a message about a non-empty exim4 paniclog and I saw some messages about mplayer having problems with its install.

I'll try the fix flag...
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

jpmatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2007, 06:49:13 pm »
For tonight, what do I do with my empty fstab? Yes, I will look at the fstab on the hitachi I swapped out. But does anyone have some good tweaks for that file?

here is one:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /media/card     auto    defaults,sync,noauto    0       0
devpts          /dev/pts        devpts          mode=0620,gid=5       0  0
usbfs           /proc/bus/usb   usbfs           defaults              0  0

I just stopped myself from doing a dist-upgrade. Does it break things?

it should not
just do another dist-upgrade next time
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2007, 06:53:10 pm »
 So my fstab now contains:

proc            /proc           proc    defaults  0       0
/dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro  0       1
/dev/hda5       none            swap    sw   0       0

When I rebooted the swap was activated, the filesystem check jumped in and fsck was run manually. Booting is now completing and the hardware clock appears to be saving time between boots!

I must put the ssh server on before I start messing with the gui...  

Why was the fstab empty? because the rootfs is generic?

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

Vitel

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2007, 08:03:44 pm »
Hi All,

I've tried to install Debian using this manual on my C1000:
Q20: I am using a C1x00, and I want to use kernel 2.6.22.9 yonggun with uboot. How can I install Debian EABI on SD?
and now I can't turn my Z on  

First of all, as far as I understand, there are two mispints in the kernel version:
a. "use kernel 2.6.22.9 yonggun".
b. kernel.img.2.6.23.1.cpufreq-fastfpe.sd in the Kernel installation.
I didn't find any of the versions above and used the following one described in the Q7:
kernel.img-2.6.23.1-yonggun-eabi-cpufreq-hda1 (compatibility with C1000 is to be verified)

So, I performed all steps 1-7, when the kernel has been flashed, Z displayed some text indicating that it's going to reboot. I hold '1' button, Z has turned off...

Now I can't turn it on, I can't even get into DM menu (holding D+M when connecting AC). Moreover, the orange led is not highlighted when I attach AC power.  Therefore I suspect that I've got hardware troubles  

Is there any way to resuscitate my Z?
Regards,
Vitel

python

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 01, 2007, 11:04:14 pm »
i've sound working ! .... but only on headphones...... when i plug/unplug it seems something is happening but the zaurus speaker is dead quite ...... any idea.?

Got everything working fine except the sound on the speaker.

jpmatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2007, 02:04:11 am »
Quote from: python
i've sound working ! .... but only on headphones...... when i plug/unplug it seems something is happening but the zaurus speaker is dead quite ...... any idea.?

so i'm not the only one !
which zaurus model do you own ?
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  

python

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2007, 02:40:43 am »
Quote from: python

so i'm not the only one !
which zaurus model do you own ?

I am using C3200. I follow yonggun instruction on his website. I dunno if he has the same problem with us?

python

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2007, 02:45:04 am »
By the way, have you guys tried installing altboot after u got your Debian EABI working with uboot? I dun quite like the fact that i always need to press the "2" key while doing a reboot? Or is there anyway that i can edit uboot configuration such that it can show a boot menu instead of booting directly from the Nand flash?

Unx

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2007, 03:12:46 am »
I want to ask where I can download the 2.6.21 Angstrom kernel for c760?
I want to give a shot to debian...
thx a lot!

2or0

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2007, 03:59:29 am »
Quote from: Vitel
Hi All,

Q20: I am using a C1x00, and I want to use kernel 2.6.22.9 yonggun with uboot. How can I install Debian EABI on SD?

First of all, as far as I understand, there are two mispints in the kernel version:
I didn't find any of the versions above and used the following one described in the Q7:
kernel.img-2.6.23.1-yonggun-eabi-cpufreq-hda1 (compatibility with C1000 is to be verified)

So, I performed all steps 1-7, when the kernel has been flashed, Z displayed some text indicating that it's going to reboot. I hold '1' button, Z has turned off...

Now I can't turn it on, I can't even get into DM menu (holding D+M when connecting AC). Moreover, the orange led is not highlighted when I attach AC power.  Therefore I suspect that I've got hardware troubles  

I am sorry that I hear you. For kernel 2.6.22.9, it is verified to work on C1000, but nobody has reported yet whether kernel 2.6.23.1 works or not on C1000.

Did you try to press Fn+D+M to get into Service mode? or OK+Power to uboot?
Zaurus SL-C3200 with Debian armel of kernel 2.6.24-yonggun
Ambicom WL1100C WLAN
1 GB Sandisk SD / 1 GB Lexar SD / 256 MB Dane-Elec CF
-----
Blog http://yonggun.tistory.com (English/Korean)

Vitel

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2007, 05:13:17 am »
Quote from: 2or0
Did you try to press Fn+D+M to get into Service mode? or OK+Power to uboot?
Thanks for your reply. I've tried to hold D+M (but not Fn+D+M) while attaching AC (with the battery ejected) and OK+Power (with the battery inserted). I'll try Fn+D+M this evening.
Regards,
Vitel

ZDevil

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 02, 2007, 06:38:16 am »
Quote from: Vitel
Hi All,

Very sorry for the confusion. I was concentrating on Q16-19 most of the time and left out Q20 and that's why I sticked "remains to be tested" there.
Can you try the 2.6.22.9 yonggun kernel instead? http://yonggun.tistory.com/53  (kernel.img.2.6.22.9.cpufreq-fastfpe.sd )
2or0 mentioned that it works on C1000.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 06:41:00 am by ZDevil »

Life is too precious for hacking *too much*
Visit my Z screencap gallery[/color]
My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb
My Debian EABI feed: http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/
My OpenBSD/Zaurus feeds:  Link1, Link2
[/i][/font][/color][/size]

ZDevil

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2007, 06:42:33 am »
Quote from: 2or0
Quote from: ZDevil
In xev, they don't seem to map to any keycode or keysym.
Try it again without xbindkeys in the memory or remap the keys using xbindkeys-config.

I killed the running xbindkeys, and then installed x-yonggun and the two x-server packages, and now right click key binding works. Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:04:47 am by ZDevil »

Life is too precious for hacking *too much*
Visit my Z screencap gallery[/color]
My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb
My Debian EABI feed: http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/
My OpenBSD/Zaurus feeds:  Link1, Link2
[/i][/font][/color][/size]