Author Topic: Latest News  (Read 13912 times)

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Latest News
« on: December 25, 2016, 07:21:22 am »
Hi everyone,

I think it is time to update all of you on what's happening behind the scenes, regarding this forum's administration. I have some good news for you to share: Speculatrix and me have finally gained access to the OESF's shell account on ibiblio. This means that we can now remove all the malware that has gathering here during the last years. I have done a preliminary search and cleanup, unfortunately there are still files though which can be only removed by the host's admins, I'll get in touch with them once I'll complete the list of all the malicious files. We have now a complete backup of both the forum's files and the database, I'm doing manual backups for now but I'll see if I can set an automatic rsync setup. Also, Speculatrix and me have been thinking of upgrading the Invision Power Board software to the latest version (we are using the 2.3.1 version, which was in September 2007; the current version is 4.1.17.1), in order to make it more secure to all the latest malware floating around, more about this later.

We can now put back online the Wiki, too; there's already a great replacement Wiki that has been recently setup by koan (thanks!), we can decide to keep it there or move it on this server. For now, in place of the old Wiki pages I have put a redirection link to the forum itself, so that it can be accessed by just typing oesf.org.
Regarding elsix, all the files are unfortunately stored on a different account on ibiblio, and for now we still don't have access to it. I'll keep hunting for the account details, also there are a couple of ex-maintainers which we can get in touch with.

That's it for now. What I'd really like for this forum is to continue to be a reference for both all the information regarding the Zaurus (and I believe it's the only remaining English forum devoted to it), and any other present and future device which shares the same philosophy as the Z.

Warm greetings and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year!

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

koan

• View Profile
    • http://www.lyndonhill.com
Latest News
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 04:59:51 pm »
Excellent news, thank you to yourself and Speculatrix. In the mean time perhaps you can redirect ELSI to a holding page with a simple "coming soon" message ? I think for the wiki you have to find and install a new and secure version of the software so that could take some time.
Zocalo Feed Reader : Thai on Zaurus : Dictionaries for zbedic : Sharp ROM package feed
HELUX Handheld Embedded Linux Blog
SL-C3200 Multiboot : SL-C750  Sharp ROM

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Latest News
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 05:51:51 pm »
Excellent news and update, Varti!

Thanks for all your persistence and efforts to get OESF running again and cleaned up.

And thanks to speculatrix and koan too.

Happy New Year to you all!

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
Latest News
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 01:01:42 pm »
*Thumbs Up
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100 and SL-6000L
pdaXrom Developer
Please visit pdaXrom.org for updates
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Latest News
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 05:25:20 am »
I have now (finally) updated the links at the top of every page, I have added ant's LinuxPDA page (with the latest kexecboot and OE builds), please let me know if there's any link you'd like to be added.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!