Author Topic: Does the fact the Astro supports Treble mean possible New firmware if PC doesn't  (Read 2067 times)

Robsno5

• View Profile
I see the Astro is fully project treble compliant according to Treble info including dynamic firmware  and Cosmo is compliant but not for dynamic updates. As this means the hardware supplies a standard interface for Google generic system images for Android does that mean it will be possible if PC are not able to do new firmware for Cosmo and astro that it may be possible to make new releases independently? Just thinking especially for Cosmo now and Astro in the future it may give some hope?

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
It's possible, but don't get your hopes up. There are hardware-specific quirks that are NDA'd, and you will only get a certain amount of functionality from a GSI.

If Planet get back to me, I will be broaching the subject of making these quirks and AOSP modules, open source under a GitHub organisation. This way, custom ROMs can just import these modules seamlessly.

The Cosmo is tricky, as is the Gemini, as it's A-only partitioning (Dynamic Updates). The Astro differs with the A/B scheme.

I'm also looking into making the keyboard driver (and STM32 quirks for Cosmo) into a Linux kernel module, so that mainlining the kernel is less tricky.

You may be interested in this: https://github.com/PC-Custom-Android-Ports

All in all, it's not going to be an easy ride.

Robsno5

• View Profile
Great explanation that offers some hope. Thanks Dom

nemo

• View Profile
> All in all, it's not going to be an easy ride.

How can one support you?

I have an old Gemini, a Cosmo and possibly an Astro soon.
I would love for at least one of these phones to be usable for the foreseeable future.

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
I take it by your username that you're 'lolnemo' on Discord... I'm trying to get Pateron to allow me access again, and I have GitHub Sponsors, Ko-Fi, BuyMeACoffee, and Liberapay.

Working on setting up a 'tier' system, but to everyone who donates: this isn't a service I offer; merely financial support.

Still have not been able to get a dev Astro. Or Gemini.