Author Topic: SL-C750 and PRISM3 chipset WLAN CF Card  (Read 2256 times)

JustAnother

• View Profile
SL-C750 and PRISM3 chipset WLAN CF Card
« on: June 10, 2021, 02:50:57 pm »
Greetings! I bought myself a SL-C750 Zaurus recently, for playing around a Linux-based PDA, and immediately flashed it with Cacko ROM 1.2.3 Full (most popular and stable ROM for that model AFAIK). Almost immediately I found a CF WLAN card on Ebay and purchased it – model is Verifone WL-672 (rebranded Gemtek WL-672) but found that inside it has a Prism3 chipset instead of Prism2, fully supported by Zaurus ROMs. Of course, it's not working: PDA is recognizing it but as generic Intersil Prism2 card, not Prism3, and shows a yellow triangle in "System Info" app. AFAIK Prism3 chipset at the times of Zaurus' glory was found only with SanDisk Connect+ and old page from this site (via Archive.org) says that Prism3 should working as Prism2.x, but not in my case, I'm afraid. It is possible to make that thing work? Thanks in advance!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SL-C750 and PRISM3 chipset WLAN CF Card
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 03:01:42 pm »
Hi,

Unfortunately, I doubt it, unless you know a lot about programming and even then may not work.

You should check the forum for posts about which cards are known to work.

Been awhile since I had a Zaurus, but think other issue you'll run into even with a Prism2 card is network security and whether it will work with WPA. Check that in posts too.

Best,

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

JustAnother

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 05:48:24 am »
Thanks again, but actually I was able to make that thing work. It seems that this card is working with Cacko ROM – I'm just added it's entry to file hostap_fw.conf in /etc/pcmcia. Entry is gotten by console command
Code: [Select]
cardctl ident IDK if it matters, but I named my card as "Gemtek WL-672". Also I'm added a SanDisk Connect+ firmware to etc/firmware directory, file sf010704.hex, and installed sandisk-plus_arm.ipk. After this and a couple of reboots Zaurus recognized card fully and is able to made a connection. Unfortunately, Cacko ROM kernel not supporting WPA, so only the unsecured connections are recognized (made a access point from my Android phone).

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 09:14:49 am »
Happy to hear that you have managed to make it work. It would be nice to have an updated Cacko with a more recent kernel, though I don't know if it would feasible.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 11:54:47 am »
Wow!

That's quite a feat!

Good for you.

Although not surprised about WPA issue.

Thanks for sharing.
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/