Author Topic: Account Registrations Turned Off At Then Wiki  (Read 15253 times)

tux

• View Profile
    • http://
Account Registrations Turned Off At Then Wiki
« on: June 13, 2012, 07:11:44 pm »
 In the past year or so the only account registrations at the Wiki have been from spammers and vandals. My chief activity on the Wiki over the past few months has been blocking these accounts and deleting their contributions.

Today I have attempted to turn off account registration except by sysops. It appears to have worked.  

If there should happen to be any genuine registree in the future please direct them to contact me via the forum pm system.

I will be emailing offroadgeek to let him know what I've tried to do.

I've clearly labelled the changes to LocalSettings.php so other sysops can turn registration back on if necessary.

Cheers each!!
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:33:33 am »
Are there any people with admin rights left on the forum? A prospective member resorted to reporting my above post as his only means of contacting an admin. I'm only an admin on the Wiki. I'm reluctant to approach dz to volunteer to be an admin on the forum. From looking at the users active list we mostly get spammers logging in.

I suspect that my time would be spent removing spam users and not doing anything productive.

If there is life in the admin section on here will you please take a look at the request of someone calling themselves zaurusex and help him out, if he is as genuine as he seems.

As regards turning off registration at the Wiki, there are ony occasional bursts of spamming now. I'm assuming that these 'users' were registered before I turned off registration and are now coming into action at longish intervals.

I'm not feeling tempted to install the extensions that let me delete users let alone become an expert on SQL to clean the database!
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

Meyer

• View Profile
    • http://papa.motd.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:15:54 pm »
Thanks for minding the dying flame, Tux.

Would you have to volunteer to take over as admin if you contacted dz? Couldn't you just ask him to log-in and register the user as a once-off deal? It's not like the demand is very high.
David Meyer, Takarazuka, Japan
1. Zaurus iGeti MI-P10-S (retired)
2. "Liza" Zaurus SL-C860, Sharp ROM 1.31 JP R.I.P.
3. "Slee 2" Zaurus SL-C860, Sharp ROM 1.40 JP (retired)
4. "iZa" Zaurus SL-C1000, Sharp ROM 1.01 JP

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 09:54:33 am »
Quote from: Meyer
Thanks for minding the dying flame, Tux.

Would you have to volunteer to take over as admin if you contacted dz? Couldn't you just ask him to log-in and register the user as a once-off deal? It's not like the demand is very high.

Speculatrix saw the previous post and sorted it out for the new guy! Hope all is well with you and yours and your section of Japan!

I think your suggestion would work also.. not needed at the moment.

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!