Author Topic: Original dictionary files for SL-C3000  (Read 1344 times)

major kong

• View Profile
Original dictionary files for SL-C3000
« on: October 12, 2023, 03:25:03 am »
I have reset my SL-C3000 to factory state but one casualty in this process was the dictionary files -- does anyone have them? Ultimately would I like to restore it to as pristine state as possible, i.e., full Japanese installation with all that came with the unit when it was new. I don't know if this is possible or not but would definitely like to try.

And if anyone has done something similar, please share your experiences.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Original dictionary files for SL-C3000
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 05:56:16 am »
Hi and welcome!

The official Sharp EZaurus site is luckily still online, and they host an update to the latest version of the system software:

http://support.ezaurus.com/sl-c3000/update/c3000update/c3000update.asp

By looking at the included update files this seems to actually be a full system install, the archive contains also an hdimage1.tgz image, I might be wrong but I believe the dictionaries are installed on the internal microdrive:

http://support.ezaurus.com/sl-c3000/update/c3000update/c3000updatecard.asp

・initrd.bin (approx. 4,337KB)
・zImage.bin (approx. 1,264KB)
・mversion.bin (approx. 16KB)
・updater.sh (approx. 7KB)
・hdimage1.tgz (approx. 19,734KB)

Otherwise, I'll check if I have a mirror of the original installation CD. I also have a SL-C3000 which I have bought second-hand from Japan, there's a high possibility the japanese dictionaries are still on the microdrive.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

major kong

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 04:44:33 am »
Pure luck had it that I had managed to save (and find!) copies of the contents of the 2 CDs that came with the device. It looks as if there are dictionary files in there but I have no idea where in the file tree they should go so if you could please consult your reference device and find out where the correct file location is, I would be very grateful.

major kong

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 04:08:04 pm »
So I am finally done and wanted to share my experiences:

My original problem was that I had reformatted the internal drive and that was why I had lost the dictionary files. The thing is that the root file system, the one that gets restored when one performs a factory reset is mounted on /hdd2, whereas the dictionary files are stored on /hdd3/dict1 and /hdd3/dict2 but accessed through soft links at /hdd2/QtPalmtop/.

Since I had reformatted the drive and then restored it with the file system dump from Trisoft, the contents of the partition /hdd3 was lost and that is why my dictionary did not work.

Luckily are those directories (with content) on the original CDs and I had them so what I ended up doing after a factory reset was to install the terminal application that is on the first CD and copy the dictionary directories (dict1  from CD1 and dict2 from CD2) to a SD card. I then launched the terminal and copied those two to /hdd3 and everything is back to normal.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 04:21:41 pm by major kong »