Author Topic: Bottom Line - Charging 860 In Us  (Read 9323 times)

Streamline

• View Profile
Bottom Line - Charging 860 In Us
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2005, 10:42:32 pm »
Yes Thirty One I am a Braves fan
TRIsoft Partner
Supporter of ZUG

adrian

• View Profile
    • http://citymedia.pl
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2005, 01:43:32 pm »
TRISoft,
You sell SL-Cxxx in Germany with EA-70s right? Doesn't it take 110V input voltage? Are there two versions of EA-70s - one taking 110 and the other taking 220-240V?
ELSI Developer
http://www.elsix.org

TRIsoft

• View Profile
    • http://www.trisoft.de
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2005, 03:37:10 pm »
TRISoft,
You sell SL-Cxxx in Germany with EA-70s right? Doesn't it take 110V input voltage? Are there two versions of EA-70s - one taking 110 and the other taking 220-240V?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70392\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
We use the EA-70S type worldwide. It's easy:

EA-72: 100V japanese type, very small
EA-70S: 110-240V "world" type with "brick-in-the-middle" and changeable
ac cord.

And before the flamewar starts: Yes, it's normally no rocket science to
build a stable 5V power supply, but for some manufacturers it seems to
be   .
We think very simple this way: SHARP EA-70S = no problems, 3rd party
adaptors = risk. That's all. The EA-70 is pretty expensive and if we would
know a trustworthy and reputated manufacturer with a cheaper one, we
would take it.

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan

seinfield

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2005, 10:47:52 pm »
Hi, i made my own ac-dc adaptor (because i received my zaurus c700 without a charger). I just bought an used LG celular phone charger ~ $1 dollar
I
NPUT : 110 ~ 240V (it will work at all countries   )
Output: 5.2 V - 800mA
Made in Corea

I used an osciloscope in order to check if the output wasn´t a real DC (because some cellular chargers like nokia uses an sine wave), but the output is a real DC.
I was worry about the 0.2V more than the 5V the zaurus required, but when i connect the zaurus the voltaje drops exactly to 5.0 volts. And now i have a working zaurus charger.

For only 1 dollar + 50 cents for the zaurus connector.

I can sell you some ready to use ac - dc  Trisoft  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 10:53:41 pm by seinfield »

waalkman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2005, 01:18:21 am »
In this case you may cut the nose off of the big battery and charge
it in your SL-5500. This will save the external battery charger.

That's what I do (except that I made a hole in the charger to accomodate the battery rather than cut off the tab.

My internal charger works fine, but this way I don't have to plug in the Z (I have two batteries).
C860, SMC Model SMC2642W, various sized memory cards

neuroshock

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2005, 01:27:23 pm »
Just a note on the 1amp-2amp concern.  

The fact that a given power supply is rated @ 2amps means that it can supply a TOTAL of 2amps to whatever device it is plugged up to.  If the device, (in this case your C760), only "requests" 1amp to charge correctly then this is all that it uses.  The power supply itself does not FORCE more amperage than the device "requests" so it is always safe to use a power supply that supplies more amperage than is needed.  As a matter of fact it is good practice to use a power supply that is rated at least slightly above whatever amperage you need. (I won't go into why this is so, just trust me on this one- my posts are always long and that explanation would make this a world class read!)

Now as an important disclaimer so nobody goes and flubs their unit up, please notice I said AMPS and not VOLTAGE!  It is NOT appropriate to use anything except the correct Voltage specification when choosing a power supply.  Unlike the amperage issue the Power Supply WILL FORCE whatever voltage it is rated at upon your device.  Gratefully most electronics devices are built to be very forgiving when dealing with voltage fluctuations and the Z's are no  exception.  It's why you can see ppl on the boards here using various chargers that rate up to 5.2V or so with no problems.  It's also why you can use 4 alkaline 1.5v batteries in a "battery brick" without screwing up things totally.  But remember- don't EVER push the voltage thing too far, and going beyond 5v for ANY reason may put your Z at risk!

As you noticed from the Trisoft and Streamline posts, they both recommend the EA-70(s) for this very reason.  It is also why if you use a 2amp power supply that the charger can charge your batteries much faster than a 1amp charger.  As long as the battery charger is rated at 2 amps, then it will pull a full 2amps from a power supply.  Likewise if that same 2amp rated charger has only a 1amp power supply hooked to it it would LIKE to have 2amps but will make do with just 1amp...but it will take it much longer to do the job. The output AMPERAGE is not the criminal in this power supply debate.

Before anyone blasts me, YES wattage and heat dissapation do play a role here but not a fundamentally important one for the end user.  A slight over simplification to anyone reading this is simply that the FASTER (more amperage used) your charger charges (like when the 2amp charger is hooked to a 2amp power supply) the more heat it will create in a shorter amount of time.  Likewise if the same charger only can get 1amp from the power supply less heat is created in the same amount of time BUT either way the same amount of heat will be dissapated during the charge cycle.  One just gets hotter faster.  So if you pull your battery out of the charger when using a 2amp power supply- don't freak that it feels so much warmer than it did with the 1amp power supply at the end of it's cycle.  When discussing the options listed in this thread heat shouldn't be an issue for you to worry about.

In closing, the major dangers of using certain power supplies are whether the OUTPUT VOLTAGE is appropriate, and the AMPERAGE is sufficient.  We've discussed the Voltage issue. If you choose a charger that has INSUFFICIENT amperage, such as 0.3amp you will end up with your Zaurus never having enough amperage to fully charge the battery (and the light may never go out), or it may never charge the battery at all or even turn on.

The moral of this story for US Power Supply/Charging issues with the Clamshell line is this: Choose a Power Supply that has an output of  EXACTLY 5 VOLT DC current and AT LEAST the minimum amperage of your clamshell specifies (not sure what it is on a C760, I think they're all the same but I'm not sure- it'll be written on the bottom of your device or near the DC in port).
Since the EA-70/EA-70S both put out EXACTLY 5v DC 2amp at ANY input AC 100v-240V then you are on rock solid ground here in the US.

You can buy these very inexpensively off of Ebay and various other sources around the net, as well as through TriSoft and Streamline CPU's.  So if you just don't understand all the in's or out's of what all this mean just stick to the EA-70-EA-70S model power supply.  If you DO understand then knock yourself out and if you brick it, or fry the charging circuit you can't blame anybody but yourself. (A dismal feeling that I have had MANY times when I talked myself into a moment of idiocy so BELIEVE me I can relate.)

Hope this helps,
-NeuroShock
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']SL-6000L & C3100.[/span]