Author Topic: Sailfish on Cosmo - some Information from Jolla ..  (Read 15998 times)

idc

• View Profile
Sailfish on Cosmo - some Information from Jolla ..
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2020, 06:20:38 am »
Davide did reply to me a while ago about Sailfish on Cosmo. His expectation (he wasn't promising anything) was that it might come around mid-May—after various fixes for the Linux towards the end of April.

idc

• View Profile
Sailfish on Cosmo - some Information from Jolla ..
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2020, 04:25:53 pm »
I dropped Davide another query about current timings for Sailfish. Here is his response:

Things slowed down quite a bit unfortunately, as we received much less community support for the Cosmo Communicator in the past weeks.

Because of this, there is no place to get in touch with the latest information at the moment, this will hopefully change in the future when/if more people will contribute.

We are working closely with one open source contributor to release the next Linux version. The last Debian/KDE version I tested had suspend/resume  when the device is open/closed and Linux modem support, including calls and SMS.

There are a few bugs that needs to be fixed before the release, which should happen in the coming weeks.

The same developer is responsible for the porting Sailfish to the Cosmo, so there will be no progress on it until we complete Debian.

I've reinstalled Android on my Cosmo, just to get a bit of use out of it—but I'm still waiting for the release of Sailfish. (And will also be interested to see the results of their Debian work.) I'm not personally in a position to contribute to either Debian or Sailfish development. (Busier than ever in lockdown, what with homeschooling and the day job.) But I wonder whether more people would be able and prepared to contribute if there was a more obvious way to keep track of what was being done and what help is needed.

Anyway, Davide's report that there is work going on that will hopefully reach us before too long is very welcome to me.

kaim

• View Profile
Re: Sailfish on Cosmo - some Information from Jolla ..
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2020, 06:47:20 am »
So it seems we will not get Sailfish for the Cosmo...
What actualli is a showstopper? They do not have resoucrs or developers for it?

idc

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2020, 04:50:07 pm »
Unless you've new information, I would assume that Sailfish is still on its way, but that Davide was a little optimistic in his initial timings. Given how much longer it took for the V23 and then Linux to arrive, and he was specific that work on Sailfish would be worked on only once Android and Linux had been sorted (he explained that the Linux was necessary for Sailfish), my guess would be that we might be due an announcement some time soon. But I haven't written again to inquire and so I've no actual additional info beyond the above supposition and what I wrote earlier.

August is often a quiet month with people away on holidays (not sure whether that has been so true this year). Let's see if there are some more announcements as September gets going.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2020, 09:45:23 am »
Given the history of Sailfish on Gemini and now Cosmo.....

Keep your expectations very, very low, and you won't be disappointed.

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/