Author Topic: A list of all the hardware/software issues reported so far  (Read 36990 times)

joe

• View Profile
A list of all the hardware/software issues reported so far
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 04:38:46 am »
Order 5xx reporting from the UK. I'm almost completely delighted with my device, but have the keyboard issue.

There's a lot of play in the keys. Looking at it, they appear to be uneven. When you place your fingertips on the keys you can rock them from side to side. The enter key has got stuck a few times when I pressed it on the 'enter' print. I could forgive wobbly keys, but not sticking.

Another cosmetic issue is that the fn key print is out of alignment. I can live with that.

I sent them a mail on Friday evening. I know they're busy, so I don't expect an immediate reply.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 12:57:15 pm »
Quote from: geomannie
Thunderbird issue

Despite Thunderbird being a pre-selected app on the Gemini launcher, it seems to perform poorly in landscape mode, but fine if I force rotation to portrait.  The options that normally appear at the bottom of the page are not accessible in landscape mode. it is not possible to scroll down. Anyone else noticed this? Anyone got a fix?

The 2 images show the difference. Note the extra option features in the portrait mode.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Hi

The screenshots are of K9, not Thunderbird.

I've used K9 in both Portrait and Landscape on my phone for ages now - everything is there, but in a different place.

The grey options bar items that you mention as being at the bottom in Portrait mode can be found on the RHS of the top grey bar in Landscape mode.

geomannie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 02:14:53 pm »
Oops, of course its K9! I use both and had a senior moment😀.

I appreciate your reply and I know that some buttons appear as you say, but the reply and new email icons are missing in landscape making it hard to use.

Other thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Quote from: andyf
Thunderbird issue

Despite Thunderbird being a pre-selected app on the Gemini launcher, it seems to perform poorly in landscape mode, but fine if I force rotation to portrait.  The options that normally appear at the bottom of the page are not accessible in landscape mode. it is not possible to scroll down. Anyone else noticed this? Anyone got a fix?

The 2 images show the difference. Note the extra option features in the portrait mode.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Hi

I've used K9 in both Portrait and Landscape on my phone for ages now - everything is there, but in a different place.

The grey options bar items that you mention as being at the bottom in Portrait mode can be found on the RHS of the top grey bar in Landscape mode.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 01:37:40 pm »
Someone seems to have found a solution for the tilted keys, using a string made of sponge:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=a...&edit-text=

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 03:44:42 pm »
Oops, of course its K9! I use both and had a senior moment😀.

I appreciate your reply and I know that some buttons appear as you say, but the reply and new email icons are missing in landscape making it hard to use.

Other thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Quote from: andyf
Thunderbird issue

[ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Hi

I've double checked on my SGS5mini (with a much smaller screen & resolution) and find that with an email "open" I find the similar to what you describe with Portrait vs Landscape except that I also get the "double arrow" (Reply/Reply all/Forward/Share) showing in Landscape BUT when displaying a folder (say Inbox) my SGS5mini shows the same grey bar "icons" in Portrait and Landscape. I think though anything missing in the grey bar in P or L mode will appear as an option if the "button" with 3 vertical dots is selected - e.g. use "Compose" in the "3 dot menu" as opposed to the envelope with + sign in the grey bar.

DJO

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 08:08:59 pm »
Quote from: Steve Marinos
seems one of the backers is having compass issue...

I was wondering if that might be a problem considering the thing is stuffed with magnets for the keyboard and possibly some in the clasp as well.

FredL

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 07:10:42 am »
My escape key is at an angle - works fine, more of an aesthetic issue.

Some spots of dust under the screen protector, but as it's safe to remove the screen protector (according to PC it was mainly for protection during shipping) I'm not too worried.

Apart from those things, it's working fine.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 10:59:05 am »
Thanks for all the reports, post now updated.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 11:06:33 am »
As reported by salvomic (thanks!), Planet has now published a troubleshooting page which will be constantly updated:

http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Troubleshooting

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

PJS

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 11:34:12 am »
Hi all,

Thus far the biggest software/hardware issue I've encountered is that if
you're on a call with speakerphone mode and the screen times out, the
Gemini crashes and reboots.

I had the timeout set to 2 minutes and it's happened a couple times.  I
changed the timeout to 30 seconds and it crashed at that timeout again.

If I keep the GUI active to prevent timeout, I was able to keep a call running
for 15 minutes.  If I'm using the phone just as a headset and the
screen times out, no crash.

Is this a hardware issue or (more likely?) an android bug?   Can anyone
recreate?

Thanks,

PJS
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:35:32 am by PJS »

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 01:19:45 pm »
Quote from: PJS
Is this a hardware issue or (more likely?) an android bug?   Can anyone
recreate?
Never heard about this issue before. Might be that another, call related setting is getting in the way when the timeout is reached. A serious issue anyway, added it in the list, thanks for reporting it.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Rosie

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 12:31:25 pm »
Quote from: Rosie
I'm afraid it looks like I'm another one whith a non-functional right-hand USB port.  My Behringer D/A doobrey for the guitar isn't working plus it won't charge from that socket (thoughTBH I'm not sure if it should).  Like someone else said, probably just teething troubles that Planet will get sorted; it's still a fab device.

Rosie

I've had a reply from the lovely people at Planet about this.  Apparently the device (a Behringer UCG102 to be precise) is "..not compatible with Android OS".  Surprising news to me as I used to use it on my HTC M8 with Depmod (even back from when it was calling itself Andrig) under the stock ROM, Cyanogenmod and then LineageOS when Cyanogen collapsed.  Hopefully I'll be able to get to the bottom of what's going on with it but I'll have to leave testing the socket until I'm back in the office next week (I've long since thrown out all my USB meeces and keyboards).

A little disappointed that Planet followed up their email saying that Android isn't listed under the device on Amazon.  It felt a little as though I was being thought of as dishonest.  Not quite the customer service experience I was hoping for.  I'll update here as I get more info.

Rosie

P.S. it's still fab BTW.  Even paid for a copy of Andropen Office because of it.

eedesign

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 06:51:03 pm »
I just received my Gemini yesterday and had a few initial comments. (I posted these on the Facebook Page as well)

A few comments
•   The 9 Key seems to be off like we have seen on other units (Not really an issue as it seems a bit better with some use)
•   On intial startup, the screen was in Asian script: There is a dropdown list on the right to select the language
•   Keyboard setup with UK layout even though English US was selected
•   Signing into my Google Account was a challenge with the UK keyboard mapping. The "@" symbol is <Fn> + K. If your password has special characters, which are not mapped the same as the UK keyboard, that will be a challenge too. Take a look at the keyboard layouts to see where it is on the UK layout.
•   Once setup, you may use the following steps to change Keyboard to US layout
   o   Swipe down from the top and click the gear icon on the top right
   o   Scroll down and select "Languages & input" under the "Personal" group
   o   Select "Physical keyboard"
   o   Select "Gemini Keyboard - English (US)"
   o   Select "English (US)" "Gemini keyboard"
   o   ISSUE: There seems to be an endless loop between these two screens. I hit the home button to exit and the layout was US. I checked it by typing a new note, in the Note application, to include the "@" symbol and it worked.

Overall, I am very excited and pleased to finally receive my unit.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:52:18 pm by eedesign »

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 08:41:32 am »
About the sticking keys problem, I have only now noticed a post from Robin on Indiegogo:

"In terms of the Fn key, a number of backers have solved sticking keys by removing the key (with a flat thin device and sliding it under the key to pop the key off). They are designed to do this. Then checking for silicon flashing from the mat and then putting the key back. Robin"

A photo of a removed key has been published on Facebook, so that you can all see what does the mechanism under the key look like. I'm reposting it here (I cannot find the original poster of the image, sorry):

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Varti
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:45:27 am by Varti »
and many other Zauruses!

Rosie

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 10:10:45 am »
The Gemini was fine, it was the cheap as chips USB to USB-C adapter I was using.  I've plugged in a new USB-C hub and can happily use a wireless keyboard and mouse just by plugin the dongle into the hub.  It's really, really strange (in a good way) seeing a mouse point on a phone screen though.

Rosie