Author Topic: Gemini PDA Gen 2 Features Request  (Read 27149 times)

andrewl

• View Profile
Gemini PDA Gen 2 Features Request
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 01:19:13 am »
I've found the keyboard key action on my later order Gemini (47xx) to be perfect, there is nothing about any of the keys I would describe as wobbly.
Even the space bar works fine with an edge press. I wouldn't change a thing.
In fact I would only want backlit keyboard if it were possible to disable it (to save battery life) as the touch-typability of the Gemini means that I don't need to look at it anyway. This is a skill developed many years ago on Psion that I didn't lose over the years.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:19:34 am by andrewl »

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2018, 06:30:45 pm »
Quote from: Lyall Pearce
1. A spacebar that works on the left and right side of the key, rather than only in the centre
Have you tried this: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=34914
I did something similar, but used a piece of a sticky label instead of paper. Since then my entire spacebar has worked just fine. Do note that anything thicker than around 0.1mm may prevent the Gemini from closing properly and, in my case, made spacebar feel mushy. A 0.07mm (according to my cheap digital calipers) sticky label was just right for my keyboard (on which I'm typing this).

Eldkatten

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2018, 04:52:16 am »
Hi,

two years ago I re-activated my Psion 5mx because I wasn't really satisfied with an android tablet for things like text typing (note taking during seminars and such). Though, of course, the Psion 5mx is a technical dinosaur.

I will now switch to the PC Gemini, thus retire my good old Psion 5mx again, because in my opion the PC Gemini merges the best from both worlds.

So far I don't have any requests for features the lack of which would nag me. Just a dream: a conversion app like the good old PsiWin, which would be able to import all that data (word, jotter, data) from the Psion world.

Kind regards
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:53:11 am by Eldkatten »

asti

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2018, 06:12:06 am »
For my purposes (I write a lot without table/desk) it would be cool to have

- Energy saving display (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_Qi)
- Back lit keyboard
- Some improvements for thumb typing (without sticky keys the Gemini is a way to wide and no fun)

A slightly larger writing tool (https://cl5944.myportfolio.com/product-service-scripto) is another of my dreams.
* GPD Pocket 2 / Win10 & Linux Mate 18
* Gemini PDA / Android but waiting for official Sailfish
* Zaurus SL C-1000 / Cacko ROM

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2018, 02:36:29 pm »
One thing I hadn't picked up on was there's no volume control buttons on the outside. I simply took them for granted.

I didn't think I'd miss the fingerprint reader of my LG V20, but I do, because I use LastPass and I can unlock LP and sign in to a website with the touch of a finger.

I'd also like the AptX codec; this may mean switching from Mediatek to Qualcomm for the CPU/GPU SoC. The sound through my bluetooth headset (LG HBS900) is better on my old phone. This is particularly because the sound through the wired headphone jack has a lot of electronic "fuzz" noise.

As before, a miniature trackball would be a bonus. And standardised USB-C video mode to use standard USB-C hubs with HDMI out.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

DJO

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2018, 04:22:05 pm »
Backlighting the keyboard would be tricky if they want to avoid making it any thicker, an alternative might be to put a LED roughly where the ambient light sensor is pointing across the keyboard, perhaps a UV LED and phosphorescent ink on the keys would prevent stray (visible) light dazzling the user.

-------------------

A Hub/Docking station, slightly wedge shaped to to match the open Gemini and plugging into the right USB C, the hub should have HDMI, RJ45 a few USB A & C sockets, a SD card reader at the front and a track pad on the flat upper surface, power pass through would be nice but might be impractical. Could be used abutting the Gemini or with a short male to female USB C lead put to the left side (for left handers).

Actually the track pad could be optional, just have a blank top plate for users who hate track pads, perhaps with a small pile of Planet branded Post-It notes :-)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2018, 05:16:46 pm »
Quote from: DJO
Backlighting the keyboard would be tricky if they want to avoid making it any thicker

perhaps optical fibres could guide the light from some hidden LEDs to under the key caps?
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2018, 06:21:43 pm »
Quote from: andrewl
I've found the keyboard key action on my later order Gemini (47xx) to be perfect
Having done some more typing on my second-batch Gemini, I can say that it's keyboard is clearly not as good as the Psion's.  The keys are noisier (and I mean the physical clicky sound, as I've turned off the haptic/vibration and software sounds), they're more likely to stick if you don't press them near the centre, and they're relatively insensitive (many presses don't register).

And the spacebar is particularly bad.  Not in the obvious way, though; it works at most points along its length, but you have to hit it pretty close to the middle of its width.  If I hit it just a few mm too far up or down, it sticks and won't press.  (On my 5mx, you can the spacebar anywhere along any edge or corner.  On the Gemini, anywhere near the Voice Assistant label sticks solid.)

It's not bad, and better than some keyboards I've used, but there's still clear room for improvement.

And on the software side, far too many apps don't recognise PgUp/PgDn/Home/End; and there's no way to type characters such as curly quotes and long dashes (and anything else not listed in the Sym or emoji pop-ups).

Plus (as discussed elsewhere) it could do with key shortcuts in the AppBar or elsewhere.
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Calamityspice

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2018, 09:24:02 pm »
For the trackball people, would a nipple (1990s toshiba) fit the bill? A trackball would either make the Gemini wider or deeper.

A nipple could sit between the V & B keys. Although, I remember the Tosh one being in the middle row of letter keys.

loop

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2018, 10:21:01 am »
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I'd prefer being able to use a wired headset (ie, I wish the 3.5mm jack would work with a wired headset).

SimonTelescopium

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2018, 12:21:11 pm »
My list after 3 weeks of happy usage...

1) backlit keyboard
2) hardware volume control
3) fingerprint reader
4) Dock with USB3 ports, HDMI, card reader storage etc.
5) small screen on outside or a different design that allows the screen to be on outside.when closed
6) decent camera - like One+ 5 has
7) better wifi
8) more internal storage for dual boot
9) software switching between OS without reboot!
10) wider screen
11) more than one position for the screen - when watching movies on my daily commute it could do with being 10-15 degrees more upright as the bag on my lap is not level!
12) matt screen

But I love it as it is and hope Planet Computers can make a success of it past the crowd funded campaign.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 12:37:51 pm by SimonTelescopium »

loop

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2018, 07:12:07 am »
Please add a hole for attaching a strap. I live in constant fear of dropping my Gemini.

andrewl

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2018, 02:26:43 am »
Quote from: Calamityspice
For the trackball people, would a nipple (1990s toshiba) fit the bill? A trackball would either make the Gemini wider or deeper.

A nipple could sit between the V & B keys. Although, I remember the Tosh one being in the middle row of letter keys.

1990s Toshiba or 2018 Dell laptop. 5590 for example, has one.

Primitive Person

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2018, 06:18:50 am »
1) Phone keypad and little screen with caller display details on the exterior, like the Nokia Communicators.
2) NFC
3) Properly-integrated camera

Other than that, love it.

SNi

• View Profile
    • http://www.sibelle.info
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2018, 05:10:16 pm »