Author Topic: notification LED for missed calls / texts  (Read 3573 times)

sobukus

• View Profile
notification LED for missed calls / texts
« on: June 22, 2018, 08:09:17 am »
My old Samsung S4 has an RGB LED that is used for general notifications, like a pending message in some chat app or SMS, or a missed call, with different colors. It also shows charging state when connected to AC.

I sort of assumed that the power LED in the Gemini serves the same purpose, but I fail to find the Android setting for the notification LED. In the LineageOS (Android 6.0.1) build on the Samsung phone, there is Settings → Display & LEDs, where I can activate the notifications and also the automatic choice of colour. This is missing on the Gemini.

I do see the right LED lighting up during an incoming call and it continues to blink in some varying pattern for some time after the remote side hung up, for some time. Eventually, it goes dark. The Samsung phone nicely keeps on a slow faded blinking (with rather short times where the LED is on full brightness … easy on the battery, even there) until I dismiss the notification on the screen about the missed call.

Am I missing some settings about this normal notification LED? Is this feature not implemented yet? This is somewhat of a showstopper for using the device as a phone, especially since checking for missed calls/texts involves opening the clamshell. I hoped that this standard notification feature is present in _addition_ to the central group of LEDs that one can configure to specific callers, for example. Any ideas?

PS: I'd love to start using the Gemini with a Google-free LineageOS to begin with, but a fully working image seems some way off right now (like, with phone functionality).

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 06:46:43 am »
I agree: this is a significant problem, especially if you've returned to a closed phone. I've tried several LED notification programs in Google Store, but none of them work so far. The programs seem to recognize that the Gemini has LEDs and the TESTING of the leds in the program work, but w/ actual calls and smss, the leds won't light.

Jake

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 10:31:50 am »
On further investigation, the Gemini does seem to blink a red light when the machine is closed and a text arrives.

But so far, there's no led notification for a missed phone call.

Jake

sobukus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 11:48:43 am »
Quote from: jakfish
On further investigation, the Gemini does seem to blink a red light when the machine is closed and a text arrives.

Does the light keep on blinking? Or is it similar to the behaviour when a call comes in that it stops after a while? (I don't have SMS routed to the device yet).

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 12:10:59 pm »
An sms led notification appears to keep blinking. I sent a text to myself, closed the machine, received the text and blinking red light, then went for a long run. When I came back, the red light was still blinking.

It can't be too difficult to get a missed phone call to do the same. Maybe in the next update?

Jake

AENT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 05:06:29 pm »
I do not use Gemini for voice calls, but I think notification for missed calls could be set with Tasker. You can try to create Profiles -> Event - > Phone -> Missed call, create Task -> Alert -> Notify LED. LED notification works with Aquamail and Informant. It seems it is set for infinite blinking. LED Blinker Pro does not work properly on Gemini, but on my Galaxy S9+ does. Maybe we need to wait for future firmware update.
You can also try some app from Google Play, that is focused directly at missed call reminders with support of LED notification. When the above mentioned Aquamail and Informant support LED, hopefully some other apps will do too.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 05:36:31 pm by AENT »

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 09:06:23 am »
AENT, thanks for the Tasker tip. I had purchased Tasker a while back so I installed and took your advice in setting up a missed call notification.

Alas, while Tasker does show a missed call in notifications, it won't light up an led. I am not rooted and I remember that Tasker likes a rooted phone, so that may be the problem.

Unless I set up something wrong...

I've gone through apps in the Playstore, but none of them light an led.

Jake
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:37:35 am by jakfish »

AENT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 01:11:39 pm »
AENT, thanks for the Tasker tip. I had purchased Tasker a while back so I installed and took your advice in setting up a missed call notification.

Alas, while Tasker does show a missed call in notifications, it won't light up an led. I am not rooted and I remember that Tasker likes a rooted phone, so that may be the problem.

Unless I set up something wrong...

I've gone through apps in the Playstore, but none of them light an led.

Jake

It looks like the access to LED is somehow limited by firmware. Some apps can bypass the limit (like Aquamail and Informant), but others can't. Examples of the above mentioned apps give us hope, we must be patient. BTW I am not sure if LED of the Gemini is RGB. Maybe it is restricted only to certain colors (green, red) and it can not change to any of whole spectrum of colors. This is my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:12:31 pm by AENT »

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 01:42:55 pm »
Quote from: AENT
I am not sure if LED of the Gemini is RGB. Maybe it is restricted only to certain colors (green, red) and it can not change to any of whole spectrum of colors.

My impression (from a few minutes with LEDison) is that there's a good range of hues, but that the overall brightness is fixed.

Which would be a shame; no smooth fades or other effects.
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

AENT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 02:02:54 pm »
Quote from: gidds
Quote from: AENT
I am not sure if LED of the Gemini is RGB. Maybe it is restricted only to certain colors (green, red) and it can not change to any of whole spectrum of colors.

My impression (from a few minutes with LEDison) is that there's a good range of hues, but that the overall brightness is fixed.

Which would be a shame; no smooth fades or other effects.

Sorry for not being exact. When I charge the Gemini, have notification from Aquamail or Informant, there is active other set of LEDs (closer to the edge). When I tried LEDison, it uses different set of more LEDs, that is in the center of the lid.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:04:08 pm by AENT »

graynada

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 09:15:27 am »
Quote from: sobukus
Am I missing some settings about this normal notification LED? Is this feature not implemented yet? This is somewhat of a showstopper for using the device as a phone, especially since checking for missed calls/texts involves opening the clamshell. I hoped that this standard notification feature is present in _addition_ to the central group of LEDs that one can configure to specific callers, for example. Any ideas?

From my tinkering I think the notification LED to the left is only a bi colour LED, red and green, so won't provide the same functionality (colour range) you get on other devices.  

I have started writing an app to use the middle 5 LEDs (and could be expanded to use the right hand one) to provide more useful notifications.  I currently have it set to different LEDs different colours in response to received Viber, WhatsApp, K9 and SMS messages which is proving quite useful.  I'm planning to expand it and provide a UI to allow personal customisation, when time allows, but the implementation of the LED control I have accessed so far only gives 3 bit colour control so has a limited (7 and off) colour range.

joepirello

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 01:17:04 pm »
Planet Computers said in the campaign that the LEDs would be programmable to any notifications, but their stupid LEDison app only allows incoming call programming; total letdown and useless.

I hope they either open the hardware to other programs like LightFlow or deliver on their promise.

graynada

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 01:20:35 pm »
Quote from: joepirello
Planet Computers said in the campaign that the LEDs would be programmable to any notifications, but their stupid LEDison app only allows incoming call programming; total letdown and useless.

I hope they either open the hardware to other programs like LightFlow or deliver on their promise.
I emailed them for info when I started my app and they said they were going to make stuff available to developers soon.  Not sure why it needs a delay, perhaps they are finishing stuff, but the community could be getting on with stuff now while the enthusiasm is new and fresh imho

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 05:30:41 pm »
Wow, graynada--your work would be a huge boon to the community.

Any chance of you including a blinking led for a missed call? I'd be happy with any color in any placement

Jake

graynada

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 02:38:22 am »
Any chance of you including a blinking led for a missed call? I'd be happy with any color in any placement

I've added one for dialer so should trigger on a call plus inducate missed call.  I've put a short (poor quality) video on the FB group of the app in action.