Author Topic: Rooting the Cosmo Communicator  (Read 58322 times)

Zarhan

• View Profile
Re: Rooting the Cosmo Communicator
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2021, 03:06:51 am »
You can use the old one unless you have repartitioned your device.

Note that if you are planning to root your device I think it would be better to just use Planet's official rooted image. Only reason I'm using this method and will use for V25 too is that rooting with Planet methods requires wiping all data from my device and I really don't want to do that. Maybe once they release that PlanetBackup solution.

usagi87

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2021, 03:04:54 pm »
I would use the planet rooted android but I cant cosmo wont detect any of mu sd cards, Tried 10 different. So I'm trying to first root android then using the rooted android with root to install the planet debian to the cosmo. I have partioned my device 30 to android and 90 to linux. Can I still use the scratter file or create new one?

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2021, 02:09:05 pm »
Just upgraded to V25 and rooted using this process (and Magisk v22). Works just as before.

usagi87

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2021, 01:47:54 pm »
Manages to brick cosmo in a endless boot loop. Can't boot to recovery wont responde to any keys. Any idea what to do?

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2021, 12:26:40 am »
Manages to brick cosmo in a endless boot loop. Can't boot to recovery wont responde to any keys. Any idea what to do?

Did you document your steps? What exactly did you do to achieve this?

You should always be able to boot to fastboot mode by turning off the device and then holding up power button and the volume "up" key (on the cosmo, the rocker switch) for 10+ seconds. If you are stuck in boot loop, do that for 20 seconds instead.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 12:35:10 am by Zarhan »

usagi87

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2021, 02:51:03 pm »
I rooted the android like instructed work fine but after I rooted it I coul not boot to recovery. So I tried to unroot the device by installing the original boot rom back it work. On boot I still could not boot to recovery, I just kept telling that the device was untruested because it was oem unlock so I lucked it a again. Now I some how brick it when it booting tells me that the device is not verified ask to insert  I verified image the after 5 second it boot again says the same thing the boots again and again ....
Does not responed to any keys not even turning the power off just keeps booting. Only way to stop it booting was to use sp flash tool by downloading something it stop the boot loop.

AP756

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2021, 03:16:44 pm »
usagi87, I think you are at the point to completely flash your Cosmo. This is the procedure I tested after "killing" my Cosmo: Download SP Flash Tool and the latest ROM, select "Firmware upgrade", press button download and then connect your Cosmo. Now just press and hold ESC until the red line appears in SP Flash Tool. Please be very patient! This can take up to 60 seconds (depending on your computers USB)! After that your Cosmo should start again. Hope that helps and bye for now  AP756

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2021, 01:40:14 am »
I rooted the android like instructed work fine but after I rooted it I coul not boot to recovery. So I tried to unroot the device by installing the original boot rom back it work. On boot I still could not boot to recovery, I just kept telling that the device was untruested because it was oem unlock so I lucked it a again. Now I some how brick it when it booting tells me that the device is not verified ask to insert  I verified image the after 5 second it boot again says the same thing the boots again and again ....
Does not responed to any keys not even turning the power off just keeps booting. Only way to stop it booting was to use sp flash tool by downloading something it stop the boot loop.

Ok, re-locking the device is what caused the bootloop, since it cannot verify the image signature of the rooted bootloader (of course). That is the key difference to Planet's official rooted image - that one is signed. Just re-unlock the device again if you can.

I have not even tested booting to recovery with this method, so cannot really help you there.

usagi87

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2021, 09:15:50 am »
I cant unlock it because I cant boot to recovery or fastboot.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2021, 01:55:39 pm »
You should always be able to enter fastboot by holding down volume down when powering on the phone. Granted, the "volume down" is bit hard to determine with the rocker switch, but still...

usagi87

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2021, 02:49:24 pm »
using instruction https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36523.msg297493#msg297493  I was able install cosmo firmware v23 but did loose IMEI information. Is it possible to recover them?

Just wondering what is preloader file?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 02:54:52 pm by usagi87 »

HAL

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2021, 03:45:16 am »
using instruction https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36523.msg297493#msg297493  I was able install cosmo firmware v23 but did loose IMEI information. Is it possible to recover them?

I had the same problem after flashing v23 and was able to solve it by restoring the NVRAM partition from a previous TWRP backup.
Also the problem of the constantly changing WLAN MAC was solved.

After the following update v23 to v25 everything works fine for me now.

Only my smartwatch can not be paired at the moment.
When starting the Wear OS app it always says:

"the currently installed build of companion will not work
      on this phone. Uninstall it and make sure you install a
      signed companion on a user phone."

Neither the latest Wear OS App, nor the old version that was installed before flashing, currently works.

Does anyone have an idea to the companion problem?

Oran

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2021, 03:47:49 am »
Can someone upload the stock and rootted v25 images?

usagi87

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2021, 12:41:34 pm »
Anyone happen is it possible to use the recovery option  update thought abd to use to install debian trough it?

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2022, 09:47:12 am »
Boot images for v25 (I guess Planet skipped v24):

- boot-v25-stock.img
- boot-v25-magisk.img

This is very late, haha - I've only just gotten around to updating. I'm finally also about to try repartitioning for Linux :D