Author Topic: Hairline crack in display case  (Read 13735 times)

a1astair

• View Profile
Hairline crack in display case
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 03:36:44 pm »
Quote from: Daniel W
For what it's worth, after close inspection and careful (neighbor) cat hair removal, I seem to have three. If I start measuring from the side that has the charging port, mine appears at 33, 57.5 and 139mm. Here's a closeup of one of them:
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Apologies for the weird angle, it was quite hard to get the light just right, to, at all, make the crack visible. We're looking at the front edge of the Gemini lid, with the top cover removed. The white hazy part to the left is the serial number sticker.

While they are very thin, I can feel them with a fingernail, and with the top cover removed, prying gently with a fingernail, I can make the one on the picture above flex ever so slightly, so they are indeed real. I notice that all three of mine are near (but not exactly at) ends of the four magnets keeping the lid closed. I would presume the magnets are press-fit into place and that the cavities receiving them are supposed to be really tight to ensure a snug fit. Molding plastic to very exact dimensions is tricky, so maybe some cavities got a fraction of a millimeter too small, or, possibly, some of the magnets were a hair thicker than specified.

In either case, I agree with Eldkatten, the affected material likely won't see any further stress. Given there's plenty of plastic behind the magnets, I don't think the cracks will affect the structural integrity of the lid in any relevant way, so, at least in my case, I'd write them off as manufacturing blemishes. While naturally undesirable, I'm neither surprised nor upset. I've seen worse from far more experienced brands.

I took another look at my Gemini and in addition to the obvious crack I photographed, there are another three cracks!

Prior to this, I wrote to Planet and they offered to investigate, but I can't do without my Gemini and don't want to risk further damage shipping from here in Australia.

FYI - reply from Planet Support included the following statement:

"From my own experience at the warranty service side, this is not something we have replicated at a large scale, or our own personal devices. Nevertheless, we are happy to have a look at the affected devices for investigation and potential resolution of the fault."

Dixit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 07:20:12 am »
Autsj...

I have two, but I needed this forum to actually find them.

Not worried enough (yet) to send the Gemini back. Also, what can they do about it ?

Contrary to the others, I am worried. This might be a psionesque design flaw. Remember the 5mx screen cable, the loose netBook connector and the 3a battery lid rupture ?
They all started with hairline cracks that we all had.

Eldkatten

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 08:05:20 am »
Hello,

Quote from: Dixit
(...)
Contrary to the others, I am worried. This might be a psionesque design flaw. (...)
Yes, you're right, it might. Or it might not.
It may sound a bit (too) biblical, but all your worrying won't change what finally will happen. Or won't happen. So why not just relax and wait and see?

Kind regards

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 04:09:09 am »
The Psion cases varied, though.

In the Series 3 and variants: yes, harline cracks would start around the hinge linking screen to keyboard; that would lead to progressive failure of the hinge, eventually rendering the device almost unusable.

In the Series 5 and variants: harline cracks would sometimes start around the hinge linking screen to keyboard -- but in my extensive experience, those don't tend to lead to adverse effects.  The real problem is hairline cracks in the ribbon cable linking screen to base; and that's not the same sort of problem (and is invisible).

With the Gemini, it's hard to be sure, but my guess is that these cracks may not turn out to be as serious as some of the Psion problems.  (OTOH, we don't know what other problems Geminis might develop after several years of use...)

(I'm less worried for now, as my Cosmo is already on order  )
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

bloblo

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 04:13:14 am »
Just to add in, I have these cracks as well (the two center ones for me) in the same positions indicated on the posted images with the arrows. So given the amount of responses it does seem to affect a larger amount of people, but similar to other responses I'm not convinced these cracks will actually be a problem. We'll see in a year or two I suppose
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:13:41 am by bloblo »

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 12:10:33 am »
Quote from: bloblo
Just to add in, I have these cracks as well (the two center ones for me) in the same positions indicated on the posted images with the arrows. So given the amount of responses it does seem to affect a larger amount of people, but similar to other responses I'm not convinced these cracks will actually be a problem. We'll see in a year or two I suppose

The cracks on mine has cased the screen to separate from the keyboard. The metal pins used to hold the screen to the keyboard was able to break through the plastic causing the metal pins to no longer hold the screen to the keyboard.

Calamityspice

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 06:57:35 pm »
After inspection, I have found 4 hairline cracks in the case. They don't affect normal operation.

I have checked my "bothered pocket". It's empty.

abliss

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 06:06:43 pm »
I have the same hairline cracks on the screen case, but never noticed them before reading this post.

jornada720

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 07:42:34 pm »
Quote from: 1668880
Quote from: bloblo

The cracks on mine has cased the screen to separate from the keyboard. The metal pins used to hold the screen to the keyboard was able to break through the plastic causing the metal pins to no longer hold the screen to the keyboard.

Just following up on this older thread. I have now gone through 3 Geminis because of this defective design.

I have no idea why they would push such as totally shoddy design to have a metal pin protected by a thin layer of plastic. It's completely not durable for someone who opens and closes the device scores of times a day as I was doing.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2020, 12:01:16 pm »
Quote from: jornada720
I have no idea why they would push such as totally shoddy design to have a metal pin protected by a thin layer of plastic. It's completely not durable for someone who opens and closes the device scores of times a day as I was doing.
FWIW, I've opened and closed my Gemini tens of times per day for the last 22 months, and the hinge is as good as new.

Perhaps you're treating it more roughly than I do?

(In particular, it's probably a good idea to open and close it fairly gently — not snapping it shut loudly.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:01:42 pm by gidds »
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Eldkatten

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2020, 01:49:25 pm »
Quote from: gidds
Perhaps you're treating it more roughly than I do?

No critics intended, but I have heard that not shutting is problematic, but opening and stressing the hinge when the device is open. I have read someone telling here in this forum that s/he very often taps and wipes the screen and that while doing that a lot of force is applied to the hinges. Noticable by a lot of "wobbling" between the keyboard and the screen part.

For myself, I nearly exclusively use the keyboard, and open and close the device gently, guiding the procedure with my fingers, and not relying on the stop provided by the hinge-spring. And it is the same here: no visible wear on the hinges.

spook

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2020, 08:14:33 pm »
I thought the same. I have always been extremely gentle in opening and closing the Gemini and even tried to avoid opening and closing when not necessary. I would maybe open and close it 3 - 4 times a day max. I also never had a problem with the hinge - until I did... Now I have a similar issue - a bit of plastic has broken away form the hinge so - unless I apply a force when opening it - the metal pin slips out of what is left of the plastic hinge.

So - although being careful obviously makes a difference - I think it is safe to say even treating the device like it is made of crystal doesn't assure you won't have the problem. My new Cosmo seems to have a much stronger hinge, so I assume PC have learnt from experience and improved on the design.

Having said all that, it did last me almost 18 months before this occurred.

Eldkatten

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2020, 03:05:41 am »
Hello tpp,

the 'hairline cracks' I showed then are no problem at all, too. Though there seems to be one Gemini owner who reported that those cracks spread and split the cover.

What's problematic is cracks in the hinge between screen and keyboard half, which seem to be much less common, but may lead to a structure failiure, thus having the Gemini fall apart.

If you only observe the the cracks shown in my picture: no worries.