Author Topic: Z + Modem + Cellphone = Mobile Internet?  (Read 9384 times)

Cresho

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
Z + Modem + Cellphone = Mobile Internet?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 08:23:54 pm »
sprint is 15 bucks a month unlimited data?  man i think its time for me to switch providers.  i read somehwere verizon is cheaper.
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

ins0mniaque

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 04:08:38 pm »
sprint is 15 bucks a month unlimited data?  man i think its time for me to switch providers.  i read somehwere verizon is cheaper.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111866\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

You're all lucky to be in the US... in Canada, Rogers charges 60$ for unlimited data (and they limit "unlimited" to 25 Mb / month, charging 1 or 2 $ per additional Mb, which can easily make a 700$ bill in a month for only ~ 200 Mb ). In fact, if they allowed roaming more then 6 months per year, it would be cheaper to get a cellphone in the US, and roam all year long.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 04:09:03 pm by ins0mniaque »

bluedevils

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 12:51:51 pm »
After doing more research it is $40 for unlimited data and dun.  It is $25 for 40MB/month data and dun.  The $15 a month is for unlimited data on the phone only, but I've read posts where sprint users were able to use dun no problem as long as they were not abusing it (large downloads).
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

xjqian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 02:10:30 pm »
After doing more research it is $40 for unlimited data and dun.  It is $25 for 40MB/month data and dun.  The $15 a month is for unlimited data on the phone only, but I've read posts where sprint users were able to use dun no problem as long as they were not abusing it (large downloads).
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115604\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

sprint turned off the dun service in my bluetooth phone 6 month ago. Don't know if it affects others also.

Edit: The Sprint does work for me on PM-325.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 09:35:38 pm by xjqian »
My Blog | 6000L Tosa + sled | is: Angstrom | was: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1 | was: stock 1.12 rom + no-ffpe fash kernel + X/Qt Debian |
CF GPS (FGPCFCD01) | USB "Prolific 2303" GPS (USB-UG-200) | Socket CF BT rev. H |  USB "Pegasus II" Ethernet (ADM8511) | PocketTop IR kbd | sip:527630@fwd.pulver.com
Todo: OESF wiki | stable VOIP app | usable GPS app |      Wishlist: VOIP + Bluetooth | GPS + Routing Calc

bluedevils

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 02:38:24 pm »
that's interesting because the samsung a920 is advertised with dun (ftp deactivated) and when you choose the phone it gives you the option for the "phone as a modem" plan.

I know the treos were bluetooth dun disabled at introduction, but have since been reenabled

In prep I've got my iptable profiles ready and I'm trying to setup fetchmail on my zaurus server so I can securely get my mail.
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

Deviant25

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 09:02:34 pm »
I've wanted to do this for awhile, but got real busy with college work.. The farthest ive gotten was connecting my Verizon LG VX-8000 via usb cable to zaurus and reading the dmsg...

Can you please post a tutorial for that samsung phone? This would be real sweet since i leach off verizon's EVDO network getting 3megabits download speed on my laptop and i dont even pay for it, since verizon dosent consider my phone a pda phone and dosent care ( i limit to about 100-200mb  downloads a month on laptop if i'm out somewhere) If not then i use 1x which is decently fast.

bluedevils

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 09:28:20 am »
Actually the whole setup was easy and intuitive.  The part that was difficult is that both the phone and the socket cards were in states of limbo and I couldn't tell.  At one point I rebooted the phone and then everything just fell into place.

on the a920.  You can have it search for a trusted device or wait for a request, to make a pairing.  You must make the phone "visible" in order for the Z to see the phone, but once the settings are made you could keep it hidden.

on the Z use sdptool to find the a920's settings (BT MAC and channel for DUN).  Add the info to the bluetooth - ppp in the networking app or use the search tool within the profile.  Enter #777 as phone number and use sprint's vision username and password.  Voila!

bluedevils

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 09:35:57 am »
As far as the service is concerned, I was a little disappointed to learn they have an image proxy that will compress images.  There are two saving graces, though.  One is that if you hit reload, it will let the full image through, the other is if the browser's user-agent is set to certain browsers (blazer/4.1), you will surf uncompressed.  Currently netfront works like this, but I have to look into getting opera to do the same.  With image compression, it feels closer to cable speeds.  Without compression if feels closer to DSL.