Author Topic: Codi broken  (Read 3343 times)

Zarhan

• View Profile
Codi broken
« on: August 15, 2021, 05:04:44 am »
Hi,

it seems I was able to own the device for almost 1½ years but now CoDI apparently was broken. I just had a phone call and everything was working perfectly. Next thing I know, five minutes later when I take the Cosmo out of case, the CoDi is mostly black except for a few lit pixels.

Now taking a better look, looks like there's a hairline fracture going horizontally through the display panel. There is nothing visible on the outer plastic casing, so initially it did not look like there's anything wrong. Only when carefully inspecting under bright light I can see it. Codi utility still shows everything and firmware flashing works too.

What have been the experiences of shipping the product back to planet and getting the Codi replaced? Do they do this under warranty? I mean, the 2 year warranty as mandated by both EU and British consumer protection should apply here, especially since the phone was not dropped or anything like that. How long do the repairs take?

I have already backed Astro so I just might live without the CoDi the next few months until those are shipped as well...It's not like I used it all that much, except to see who's calling.

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
Re: Codi broken
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 01:08:52 am »
Hi Zarhan,

I just had the same experience here  :-\ ...

But it made me realize, that I dont use codi in my daily usage. As the accept button and the fingerprint-Reader are still working, I decided to just switch Codi off and use the device anyway.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 03:43:58 am »
Other functions do work as you say, but unfortunately it seems that the silver button at the end that allows you to lock the device is bound to CoDI being on...

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 01:38:12 pm »
Other functions do work as you say, but unfortunately it seems that the silver button at the end that allows you to lock the device is bound to CoDI being on...

Seem to remember that there is some limitation to the USB-ports with Codi off as well (at least charging from the right port doesn't work without Codi on)...

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 05:31:03 am »
I contacted planet via their web form. Let's see what they respond. They do state that it's a 2-year warranty within EU as part of their warranty policy...

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 07:29:32 am »
I got reply from Planet. No go on warranty. The replacement of the screen is £125, and it includes shipping (both to Planet and back).

I'll have to check if I take on their offer. I think that once I get Astro, I'll actually install Linux on this thing and start using it as a pocket PC. At which point the CoDI is more or less without purpose...

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 03:07:58 pm »
That's what I did when my Cosmo began to give up the hardware ghost. My wifi/bt disappeared, so I did a Linux-only install (CODI does little on Gemian other than drain the battery). Even when my wifi/bt mysteriously appeared again, I'm keeping the Cosmo as a PDA. Bought a Pixel 4a for an actual phone; will wait for the Astro II before switching my daily driver needs back to Planet.

Jake