Author Topic: Estimation of Astro shipment based on Cosmo Campaign  (Read 11188 times)

Zarhan

• View Profile
Re: Estimation of Astro shipment based on Cosmo Campaign
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2022, 03:52:18 pm »
Well, the timeline is definitely extended beyond Cosmo.

I backed Cosmo in Nov 2018, got my device Feb 2020, so year + 2-3 months.
I backed Astro in Apr 2020, and now getting device hopefully soon-ish, so 2+ years.

Then again, Cosmo did not have supply chain issues and Covid...

Daniel W

• View Profile
Some kicks from update sixty six... and earlier.
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2022, 08:18:45 am »
This is just a bit of "update forensics", while waiting, because, well... I'm a geek, I suppose?

In update #59 there's a top shot an open outer shipping box, in which ten Astro Slide boxes are visible. Below that, is a picture of a stack of such outer boxes, where each of them has a sticker with ten lines of three bar codes each. Would each barcode corresponded to an individual Astro, an outer box would contain thirty Astro units. With very slim packaging, that might have been possible. However, as shown in update #43, the individual Astro boxes seems to be the same size as those for the Cosmo and Gemini, so we can conclude that the outer boxes contains a single layer of individual Astro boxes, which means ten units per outer box.

<Nerd>
One unit per line of barcodes makes sense, as if we look closely, the rightmost barcode on each line seems to be a tad longer than the other two, suggesting it represents something else the first two. I'm guessing the two first on each line are the IMEI numbers for the dual mobile modem, and the third is either the MEID (Mobile Equipment Identifier) or the serial number of the individual Astro unit. As a MEID barcode is over 40% longer than that of a IMEI (as measured on my Cosmo box), while the serial number barcodes of the Gemini and Cosmo only were about 15% longer, I'd say the third code on each line one is likely the serial number.
</Nerd>

Anyhow, the picture in update #66 shows 20 boxes and thus depicts 200 units, out of several thousands to be made, so while progress is being made, there's still some way to go.

Update #65 mentions "Japanese, US, UK and German Astro Slide devices" being quality checked. AFAIK, no update has suggested that any other versions, perhaps beyond test samples, has been manufactured thus far. It mentions that "Further shipments of Astro perks to Japan are taking place" and that "We have also shipped the first UK Astro perks to some very early first day backers, who are not on the EE network."

Update #66 says they are testing a firmware to be factory flashed onto Astro units for the UK EE network. This seems to, at the moment, hold UK shipments back a bit. The update ends with "we hope to see first posts from US backers with their Astros by the end of next week". Thus, apparently, no US devices has actually been shipped yet. I have also seen no mention of any German Astro Slide devices shipping. So it seems that Japanese devices are shipping in some quantity, shipping of UK devices has technically begun, in very small numbers, while some US and German devices has been made, though none of those has actually shipped yet.

I doubt much will happen with any other variety until most or all of the Japanese, US, UK and German has shipped, so all of us who are waiting for some other keyboard layout, can probably snooze for yet a few weeks.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2022, 12:20:46 pm »
Well......

On about June 9th, I saw my status changed to 'Locked' !

Finally......

Although have not received any email from PC saying my Astro has shipped or a tracking number....

So it goes....

:)

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2022, 08:40:02 pm »
Hi again,

Received my Astro yesterday, 6/24....only took 2 years, 3 months...

Pretty nice so far....

Bit different than using Cosmo....for both physical design and different version Android reasons.

So, in process of getting used to it....

Display is bright, sharp with vivid colors.

Keyboard is good of course...

Will report with more info after using it a few days....

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2022, 12:43:40 pm »
Since this is a shipment estimation thread, and shipments now seems to slowly be ramping up, this might be a good time to compare reality to makosharks original estimations in the first post:

Backers from Japan, USA: Cosmo-11/15/19 >> Astro-01/09/22
On the way to Europe(Germany, UK): Cosmo-11/22/19 >> Astro-01/16/22
3500 out of 4000 Produced, 80% of Backers received Cosmo-12/09/19 >> Astro-02/02/22

So far, this seems to be known:
Japan: 2/ 6/22 (Update #53)
UK:     6/~2/22 (Update #66)
USA:   6/24/22 (Above post)

Update #67 (6/21/22) expected the first German QWERTZ and US-keyboard/EU-plug Astro devices to have reached the warehouse last week and begin shipping this week. It also said production had started on Swedish/Finnish and French keyboard Astro variants, but apparently scheduling the next quality check visit by the Planet team to the assembly factory, won't happen until the whole batch is done, which given the restrictions over there, seems reasonable, though it likely means actual shipment of these devices won't happen just yet. My Swe/Fin Astro, with a <2000 Contribution ID remains unlocked as of writing this.

Ra_Shoe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2022, 08:19:52 pm »
FYI, received my Astro Slide, US keyboard & plug, contributor ID mid-high 900s, half a week ago.

SNiX

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2022, 01:48:48 pm »
Contributor 912 (US keyboard & plug) delivered July 5th. 

Couple of annoyances thus far:

1) Updater seems to run excessively frequently (49 times in past 7 days). I don't see a setting to control this. When I go in settings everything shows as updated to latest version. Planet Updater too, though not quite so often (4 times in 7 days)

2) Every so often the screen sensitivity seems to change by itself - cranks to the max so that it becomes impossible to scroll as the slightest touch taken as a 'tap.' A reboot fixes this and takes it back to my settings... Not the end of the world, but annoying when it happens.

SNI

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2022, 07:46:08 am »

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2022, 06:22:26 pm »

Congratulations!

As I will have the Norwegian/Danish model, I can only DREAM of even that still, as it is not even mentioned in the latest update. I really would have preferred if they had made a "Scandinavian" model (also for the previous two phones), rather than splitting it up in Swe/Fin and Nor/Dan...

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2022, 02:28:46 pm »
I really would have preferred if they had made a "Scandinavian" model (also for the previous two phones), rather than splitting it up in Swe/Fin and Nor/Dan...
If allowing ourselves to go a tad OT while we keep waiting; yes, since laptop makers has managed to create a common "Scandinavian" keyboard, I think it should work, and simplify somewhat, for Planet too. Actually, when I look at the Nor/Den layout, more of its symbols seems located about where I'd expect them to be, than on my Fin/Swe, and the Nor/Den has a ~ too, which I must use Sym to type. While I have gotten used to direct access to Ö, I'd gladly adopt to a "Scandinavian" layout, based on a minimally modified Nor/Dan, perhaps like this:

Obviously, the key to the right of L would need to be properly marked with both Ö/Ø and Ä/Æ. I didn't bother and I think the sketch works anyway. The original image belongs to Planet Computers and was, for illustrative purposes, slightly modified, without seeking their permission, so it should probably not be spread wide and far, okay? If they could somehow trade the two least used symbols (¤ and ° maybe?) for ð and þ (in reasonable locations), we would have a truly Scandinavian layout. Yes, I know I can long-press D or T but as ð and þ are fairly common in Icelandic, I figure that disrupts the typing flow quite noticeably, which reasonably works against the idea of having a physical keyboard in the first place.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2022, 07:13:04 am »
Also locked, with FI/SE keyboard. For some odd reason the "astro protection pack" I ordered too is not locked :)

Dixit

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2022, 07:52:33 am »
Well, I ordered a US keyboard + EU-plug and hoped, that that would be relatively rapidly delivered as that is the standard European combination.

Alas...

My order is still not locked. That is in line with update #71, because Planet stated that all US keyboards / EU plugs are to be locked up until number 2700. And I am contributor 2767.
I am still surprised, though, that many other contributors in the ranges up to 4000 have been locked and are receiving their units (be it with other keyboards).

Oh, and my Gemini died yesterday. Who would have expected on May 1st, 2020, that the Astro would arrive after the Gemini's life span ?

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2022, 07:23:35 pm »
In news that may interest nobody but me, just over 24 hours ago, over a month after the latest official update from Planet, that I know of  (#75 from nov.5), I got a shipment e-mail with a tracking number from Indiegogo, saying my shipment has been export scanned from HK, so maybe it's finally my turn.

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2022, 10:10:53 pm »
Well, congrats. God knows you deserve one.

Jake

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2022, 11:46:53 am »
I promise this is the last "about me" post in this thread. Wednesday, December 14, 2022, my Astro finally arrived. It was scheduled for the day before, but, apparently, the delivery vehicle broke down about a mile from my home, so it seems safe to say there were delays in every part of this journey.

As I have, courtesy of my unusual-ish keyboard, used myself as the cutoff point for "most backers have received their Astro" (sorry, gymbo - I really hope you'll get yours soon), I'll stop tracking deliveries now, some 21 months after Planets original estimate. That might be a bit soon, as it seems the FIN/SWE keyboards got made fairly "early" this time, but I must move on. That said, my thoughts are with backer in places that, as of now, might not even have functional international postal services, or even electricity. I look forward to the day when Planet reports that every single crowdfunded Astro has been delivered.

While I haven't even booted my Astro yet, I have taken a bunch of photos, which I intend to upload to a new thread as soon as I can find the time. /D