Author Topic: Astro reviews thread  (Read 9323 times)

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Astro reviews thread
« on: February 03, 2022, 03:06:43 am »
The (probably) first official Astro Slide review has been published on the Big Tech Question website:

https://bigtechquestion.com/2022/02/02/review/astro-slide-review/

I really hope that the camera quality can be improved via software and that updates will be available, either from Planet or from third-party.

News via Planet PDAs Facebook page.

Varti
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 03:14:49 am by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Zarhan

• View Profile
Re: Astro reviews thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 09:50:40 am »
Well, the results are more or less what I expected except it's really unfortunate that the camera is again something that needs to be worked on. Shuntcap?-)

My biggest concern is actually the software updates and whether they'll be coming along afterwards. Cosmo hasn't gotten an update since v25...not even the upstream security patches.

I hope I'll be getting my own soon...

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 10:42:09 am »
As far as I can tell, before actually receiving my own Astro, it seems like a balanced review. It is indeed a phone with mid-tier specs, that's roughly twice as thick, heavy and expensive. Their suggestion to put two regular phones in the same pocket, to get a feel for the size and weight of an Astro is, I think, a good suggestion for those not already owning a previous Planet device.

I'm a tad bothered by the reviewer saying that "Screen could be bigger and better", as if 19.5:9 wasn't wide enough, but for some things, the world seems obsessed with size rather than nice, so a silly-wide screen might help sell a hypothetical "Astro 2". Hey, the Psion series 3a/c/mx were 27:9 so, come on... ;-)

The sub-par camera was, much like London rain, an expected letdown, but given that the Astro has a known, nice image sensor, lest the lens is bad, it's likely mostly a software issue. Typically, not even top tier phone cameras are great, lest backed up by stellar image processing. Shuntcap has already said he didn't back the Astro. Perhaps if we could find a way to get him one, but he has already done more than his fair share to support this community, so lest he'd actually want to get involved, I think we need to look for other solutions. Oh well, sliding OT... Over-and-out.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 06:49:53 am »
and many other Zauruses!

MonkeyControl

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 02:27:22 pm »
A (mostly positive) review on UK's Metro:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/14/astro-slide-5g-review-qwerty-little-secret-16082871/

Varti

'a keyboard beats a screen every time'
Agreed

'you can put Linux OS on it if you want to and treat it like a little computer'
Fingers crossed

'...then picking this over Samsung’s £1k+ flagship won’t be a problem'
That does it, I'm in

Jokes aside, the Astro Slide does seem to be getting generally positive reviews, the camera and the bulk being the only negatives, which I don't think would surprise most of us. 
I hope it does well. 

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 04:01:00 am »
Tech Advisor's Dom Preston shares his view on the Astro, a possible alternative for the failed Blackberry revival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-yR8ZYSRvY

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 03:15:27 am »
Not a review, but still Astro related:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/whats-the-deal-with-the-astro-slide-5g

When I read that the community around the Astro is made of "retro technology geeks", I felt like they have missed the point about why such devices exist.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

MonkeyControl

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 03:49:08 pm »
When I read that the community around the Astro is made of "retro technology geeks", I felt like they have missed the point about why such devices exist.
Don't let it get to you Varti, you can't help some people, they just don't get it.  :)

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 07:59:47 am »
...you can't help some people, they just don't get it.  :)

Yeah, they seem to confuse function with fashion and utility with retro.

Interestingly, they do recognize that "bulky keypads" that were "either too small for their fingers" or required them "to press the same key more than once to get the correct letters", were a problem, yet does not seem to grasp that virtual keyboards has worse tactile feedback and eats screen space, while their tap zones are still either too small or requires multiple taps... thus really only making them the better choice for very special symbols and (brief use of) foreign alphabets.

They call the Astro a "laptop in my back pocket”... by quoting rap lyrics, as if their "digital trends" are less about stuff that matters across time and more about commercial culture du jour, which in the post-consumerist era we are evolving into, seems rather... vintage to me ;).

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 10:11:18 am »
...you can't help some people, they just don't get it.  :)

Yeah, they seem to confuse function with fashion and utility with retro.

Interestingly, they do recognize that "bulky keypads" that were "either too small for their fingers" or required them "to press the same key more than once to get the correct letters", were a problem, yet does not seem to grasp that virtual keyboards has worse tactile feedback and eats screen space, while their tap zones are still either too small or requires multiple taps... thus really only making them the better choice for very special symbols and (brief use of) foreign alphabets.

They call the Astro a "laptop in my back pocket”... by quoting rap lyrics, as if their "digital trends" are less about stuff that matters across time and more about commercial culture du jour, which in the post-consumerist era we are evolving into, seems rather... vintage to me ;).
Very well said! I guess they still remember the negative impression they had with Gemini's keyboard when they reviewed it some years ago. On their unit the keys tended to get caught on the downward travel. AFAIK they have not reviewed the Cosmo, so the have not seen how much has the keyboard been improved in the meanwhile, so I hope they'll make a review of the Astro.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 05:29:02 am »
Hands-on with the Astro Slide 5G: Slider in your hand, Debian in your pocket article on XDA:

https://www.xda-developers.com/astro-slide-5g-hands-on/

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Rahab D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2022, 06:48:02 am »
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 02:43:13 am by Varti »

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2022, 11:06:18 am »
Seems to be a rather balanced review, acknowledging that this is a niche device, for those who type enough on the go to be too limited by a regular smartphone and little enough to not carry a small laptop. That might be oversimplifying a tad. I'm still using SMS and MMS. Even if I could find a way to do that on a laptop or Chromebook, I would still need to also carry a phone anyway. Their idea that a phone with an external Bluetooth keyboard could "achieve much the same experience" suggests to me that they haven't actually tried that. I have. Several times. It went badly.

Small BT keyboards are often just not good keyboards, more intended for the odd search term and such on a media PC. Trying to prop up a phone and such a keyboard on a café table, often gives useless ergonomics and you can't use that keyboard on the go, lest you can physically attach it to the phone by means of a case, which would give you something clumsier than a Planet phone, most likely with worse ergonomics.

A large BT keyboard is nice to type on, but you'd still need a special case so you can prop the phone up to see the screen and now I'd need a backpack for the keyboard, which I must then get out, turn on and get to pair, if I have a flat surface to put it on, that is. Carrying one sub-pound device on which I can thumb type on the go and get near-laptop-typing when I can put it down, is the sweet spot for me.

It is, as we know, a tad of a shame that the Dimensity 800 is a bit dated in parts. We also know Planet did ask for a newer SoC and couldn't have it. Another pain point is just how much more expensive each unit gets when you can't make hundreds of thousands of the same model. Such is life for a tiny vendor.

I partly hope the Astro will turn out nice enough that Planet may (with minor tweaks) stick with that design for a couple of generations and really only have to develop new circuit boards (which indeed may affect antennas and such) when they get access to sufficiently better components. That, or joining forces with a bigger brand, are the only real ways I can see to get regular non-crowdfunded sales going for them.

Think_Man

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2022, 02:18:02 pm »
I partly hope the Astro will turn out nice enough that Planet may (with minor tweaks) stick with that design for a couple of generations and really only have to develop new circuit boards (which indeed may affect antennas and such) when they get access to sufficiently better components. That, or joining forces with a bigger brand, are the only real ways I can see to get regular non-crowdfunded sales going for them.

This.

I backed the Gemini PDA, and used it as my phone for a little over 3 years. I briefly considered the Cosmo as an upgrade but could not justify the expense. By the time the Astro was coming along I was ready to replace the Gemini, but after reflecting on my experience with the Gemini I decided the Astro was not likely to be worth the expense to me. The free phone the carrier sent me for the 3G sunset has been superior to the Gemini in every respect besides the keyboard.
Planet has incredible keyboards, but everything else is either generations behind or bug riddled. The only way to overcome the limitations of being a small player is going to be to work with a big player to get the keyboard into some mainstream devices.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2022, 10:31:44 am »