Author Topic: Astro reviews thread  (Read 9324 times)

gymbo

• View Profile
Re: Astro reviews thread
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2022, 11:24:53 am »
Well here is a review that is not a paid by PC promo ad.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/planet-computers-astro-slide-5g-hands-on-features-price-photos-release-date/
Yes, the FANTASTIC review by the person who was "disappointed" the slide-out mechanism wasn't AUTOMATIC, and generally shows absolutely no understanding of how to even operate the phone?!? I'm thinking it looks more like THIS review WAS paid for by someone, but to bash Planet, than most of the others, which looks to be more balanced (and usually with some complaints as well), should be paid for by Planet...

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2022, 01:43:50 pm »
Ouch. Reviewer was even underwhelmed by the kb. In fairness to PC/Psion-like kb, I don't think the reviewer respected the difficulties of cramming a true kb into a phone. As for his problem with actual key presses, I would hope that extended use would get the keys to seat properly. That's often been the workaround with the Gem/Cosmo.

As for the buggy software, outdated Android, and basic-at-best camera, I guess individual users will have to weigh the good vs the bad.

The Astro has had almost two years of prep, and while I appreciate supply chain issues, etc, it appears that once more, PC developers didn't devote enough time to a functioning Linux distro. They certainly could've done it while they waited for production problems to ease; instead, it feels as if Adam Boardman will have to save the day again.

I poked my head into PC's site and couldn't find even a beta linux for download.

I mean, come on,
Jake

« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 01:47:50 pm by jakfish »

5threeone

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2022, 11:38:31 am »
Approaching September and my UK keyboard Astro is nowhere in sight.  The last buzz was that because I'm with EE there would be a delay.  That was a few months back.  So, since my Key2 was starting to hiccup, in moment of annoyance I bought a Pixel 6.  When (if) the Astro arrives, probably I will put it out for sale, unopened.  Disappointed with the many times I heard of progress through all the Covid-caused difficulties which I accepted as par for the course, only to now hear nothing at all.