Author Topic: Second impressions  (Read 1424 times)

Zarhan

• View Profile
Second impressions
« on: January 13, 2023, 06:12:36 pm »
Continuation from https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36856.0 now that i put Astro through a major test - 3 week trip to New Zealand. I am typing this on Qantas flight from Sydney with their inflight wifi - on Astro.

Summary: I love the darn thing. Worked with Optus (AU), Spark (NZ) and some provider in Singapore as well. No issues with wifi either.
Location works, even in car and offline - most of the time. Ironically the only place where GPS fix would not be reliable was Queenstown... but then again, it is basically built in a valley. Worked quite nicely even inside a boat in Doubtful sound.

Issues are minor, but ran into a few:

- Sometimes the device would not accept input from touch screen, and I had to reboot. It looks like some app is "overlaying" everything, including lock screen. Not sure how to repeat this.
- Android auto would sometimes fail. I could get it to work by either rebooting or killing navigation app (Here wego or google maps, both in offline mode). I noticed that AA would only work on right side USB port. Not sure if this was due to the rental car (Mitsubishi ASX, year 2020) or Astro
- USB charging did not work on planes. The usb port on the seat seemed to shut down both on Qantas A330 and Finnair A350. (Maybe fast charging negotiation?). Did not try on Qantas 737. OTOH, battery lasts a long time.

Anyway, I only hope that Planet would deliver the protection packs and gets those software updates going, but I love the hardware!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 06:41:03 am by Zarhan »