Author Topic: Bad Signal quality at 4G and 5G  (Read 2004 times)

IK6yae0s

• View Profile
Bad Signal quality at 4G and 5G
« on: April 07, 2023, 09:40:03 am »
I cannot Talk about 5G signal quality but I often have no connection and connection aborts if I'm driving so I tried to limit the connection to LTE 4G.
But against my Sony Xperias 10 III Signal strength which is almost good the Astro Slide often loose the connection to 4G also or have a unstable connection for phoning and internet.
So I limit to 2G and now the connection will not often loose any more but I have a poor bandwith.
3G is gone in Gernany so it is not usuable any more.
I remember me that the Communicator also was not so good against my older Sony Xperia 10 but not so bad as the Astro looks like.

Are there some other users which have connection problems on 4G and 5G whether other phones still have no problems?

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
Re: Bad Signal quality at 4G and 5G
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 11:00:06 am »
I've had the Astro for six weeks (in Australia on Telstra), and did not encounter any cellular connection issues until just recently (though admittedly, I haven't left the house a lot in that time other than to walk my dog locally).

Maybe two weeks ago, I noticed as I was getting in the car at home that the phone signal would not connect, which I needed for GPS. Luckily a quick reboot sorted it out.

But last weekend I went camping, and on my way home, stopped for dinner in the tiny town of Nar Nar Goon. The phone would repeatedly show strong 5G connection briefly then sit back at no connection. I switched to 4G mode, and it did the same thing for that. Rebooting did not help. I don't know what the signal is supposed to be like in that town, so can't be certain that this was an issue with the Astro in particular. But there was clearly strong phone signal displayed; and I was in the centre of town, so if anywhere would have signal it'd be there. And from the EE issue I've been hearing about and the incident earlier at home, I'm made to believe the Astro is very likely at fault.

The road trip situation was extremely inconvenient, as I needed to let someone know I was on my way; and also needed Google Maps to work! I was heavily dependent on the Astro in this situation, and this experience has made me seriously question its reliability.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 12:54:35 am »
Don't know if it will fix your issue, but Planet is finally about ready to release an OS update soon. Hopefully, next week they said....

OTA (Over-The-Air) update....watch for it.....

Worth a try....
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

VanTommels

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 03:48:36 am »
Seems like a common issue in germany
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36862.0
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36874.0

I have these problems as well. As a result, the Astro is unfortunately not usable for me in everyday life.

TomJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 12:35:59 am »
I've had the Astro for six weeks (in Australia on Telstra), and did not encounter any cellular connection issues until just recently (though admittedly, I haven't left the house a lot in that time other than to walk my dog locally).

Maybe two weeks ago, I noticed as I was getting in the car at home that the phone signal would not connect, which I needed for GPS. Luckily a quick reboot sorted it out.

But last weekend I went camping, and on my way home, stopped for dinner in the tiny town of Nar Nar Goon. The phone would repeatedly show strong 5G connection briefly then sit back at no connection. I switched to 4G mode, and it did the same thing for that. Rebooting did not help. I don't know what the signal is supposed to be like in that town, so can't be certain that this was an issue with the Astro in particular. But there was clearly strong phone signal displayed; and I was in the centre of town, so if anywhere would have signal it'd be there. And from the EE issue I've been hearing about and the incident earlier at home, I'm made to believe the Astro is very likely at fault.

The road trip situation was extremely inconvenient, as I needed to let someone know I was on my way; and also needed Google Maps to work! I was heavily dependent on the Astro in this situation, and this experience has made me seriously question its reliability.

I've found a similar thing, with a local Belong SIM in my Astro alongside my UK 3 SIM.  I regularly lose connection on one or both, with a status message from SimProcessor saying "Syncing SIM contacts...".  I don't use the SIM to store contacts, though the 3 SIM was previously in a Cosmo so it might have been used for the CoDi contacts?  I didn't notice this behaviour in the UK with Smarty SIM in alongside the same 3 SIM.

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 01:38:53 pm »
I think the 'Syncing SIM contacts' message is shown while the cellular modem is starting up, so it's probably an indication that the modem crashed.