OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> USB-C
Tom D
post Nov 15 2018, 07:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 815,874

My biggest hope is that there is an improvement in the functionality of the USB-C ports. I have the USB-C hub, and you can choose to either charge through it (making the hub unnecessary), or use it as a hub without charging. I am using the Gemini with a Sentio SuperBook which only supports USB-on-the-go video (no HDMI input), so this means I can only use the Gemini with it on Battery Mode. It would be REALLY nice if one of the ports was a full USB-C port that supported true HDMI out, USB peripherals and charging, like most laptop USB-C ports do - e.g., Macbook. That might be too much to ask, so any improvement in the USB-C ports would be appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
donc
post Feb 20 2019, 08:17 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 817,596

Update #8 did mention that both USB-C ports would be able to charge (whereas the Gemini will only charge on the left hand side) but not yet seen any acknowledgement of the Cosmo ports being USB Power Delivery compatible. The Gemini USB hub does support USB Power passthrough making it rather frustrating that the Gemini itself doesn't. Being able to use the HDMI output of a standard/generic USB-C hub would be nice but not sure this will happen, the statements that the Gemini HDMI adapter will work with the Cosmo suggests not. The lack of exFAT support in Android can be a bit awkward but I suspect Planet won't be able to afford the cost of licensing the exFAT driver from Microsoft. I get around by booting into Linux when I need to access an exFAT formatted drive.

As a side note the Gemini will charge from a USB-C charger if you plug it in whilst it is switched off but it won't pull more than 500mA@5V so even switched off it will charge very slowly. It will continue to charge if you turn it on but I doubt that 500mA would be enough to charge the Gemini as well as run it.

+Quote Post
Tom D
post Feb 21 2019, 06:53 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 815,874

I was very happy to hear that both ports can charge. I already have an HDMI adapter from the Gemini I can use, so I can now charge and output HDMI. This now lets me "dock" the Communicator at home, which is nice.

+Quote Post
Grench
post Feb 25 2019, 11:03 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 816,120

Don't get me wrong. Charging through both ports is going to be way easier when connecting it up for the night on the bedside table. No longer will we have to figure out which side the hinge is on, orient the device then make sure we're plugging into the left hand side.

However, I'm still a bit concerned as to whether they have taken on and fixed the Gemini's face palm USB C issue.

Gemini
Right port is able to:
-USB C direct to device - cannot run a hub - not good to charge through (no fast charging).
-HDMI adapter for external monitor

Left port is able to:
-Fast Charge via the included USB C power adapter
-USB C hub to devices (Keyboard, mouse)

The problem is that the left port is an OR. Despite the Planet Computers hub having a USB C power inlet on the hub - that power is only usable by the client devices connected to the hub. It is incapable of charging or powering the Gemini back through the hub. So, with the two ports and their caveats it winds up being a case of:

Gemini Pick Two Conundrum:
-supply power to the Gemini
-connect keyboard & mouse
-connect to an external monitor

To operate as a 'desktop replacement', the Cosmo is going to have to do (at minimum) those three things - at the same time.

+Quote Post
mithrandir
post Feb 25 2019, 11:41 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 815,997

In addition to that:
Only the left side USB port of the Gemini is USB3 (and still slow). According to benchmarks the right side port is USB2 only. Both ports of the Cosmo should be USB3, well and faster than the left side port of the Gemini.

+Quote Post
mifritscher
post Mar 13 2019, 03:58 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 818,513

At least for me, also the right side of the Gemini supports the hub.

+Quote Post
maki.jouni
post Aug 23 2019, 11:11 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 850,543

At press release picture there is no adapter like Gemini had, so is it.....
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Vistaus
post Aug 23 2019, 01:38 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 850,627

QUOTE(maki.jouni @ Aug 23 2019, 09:11 PM) *
At press release picture there is no adapter like Gemini had, so is it.....

But in their store it says the adapter is compatible with the Cosmo though...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 07:01 PM