OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Keyboard shortcuts in android applications
vldmr
post Jan 20 2020, 07:34 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 860,135

I feel that owners of android devices with physical keyboard need some reference for existing keyboard shortcuts in various common applications.

For example, I found that firefox does support some shortcuts common with desktop (space, shift-space, ctrl-W), but it drove me nuts that ctrl-L (keyboard focus to address bar for typing url) does not work. Then one time out of frustration I pressed ctrl and started to poke every key on keyboard - and what do you know, ctrl-T does focus in address bar (with side effect of opening new tab, which is fine).

So I thought until there will be some proper central place like some sort of wiki for this kind of knowledge sharing, I would start this thread for posting this kind of happy un-obvious findings about working shortcuts in various application.

I will be updating the first post with shortcuts published in the thread. Here we go:

Firefox mobile
  • space
    show next page
  • shift-space
    show previous page
  • ctrl-W
    close current tab
  • ctrl-T
    keyboard focus in address bar (opens new tab)
  • ctrl-F
    find on page
  • ctrl-C/ctrl-V
    copy/paste
  • shift-arrow keys
    extend text selection. Also works for starting selection in input fields. In the rest of content selection has to be started by long press.
  • tab/shift-tab
    jump to next/previous interactive element (link,input). Link can be activated by enter key.
Opera
  • Ctrl-tab
    toggle through open windows (or open Private windows if the current dsiplay is InPrivate)
  • Ctrl-n
    open a new window
  • Shift-ctrl-n
    open a new private window
Open camera
  • space or enter
    Take picture
Planet App Bar
  • Alt, then enter
    Open launcher (for those, who've hidden navigation bar)
Termux
  • alt-1 through alt-0
    F1 through F10
  • alt-space
    Escape. But better use actual escape key by setting back-key=escape in termux.properties as described here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gymbo
post Jan 20 2020, 03:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 816,769

QUOTE(vldmr @ Jan 20 2020, 04:34 PM) *
I feel that owners of android devices with physical keyboard need some reference for existing keyboard shortcuts in various common applications.

For example, I found that firefox does support some shortcuts common with desktop (space, shift-space, ctrl-W), but it drove me nuts that ctrl-L (keyboard focus to address bar for typing url) does not work. Then one time out of frustration I pressed ctrl and started to poke every key on keyboard - and what do you know, ctrl-T does focus in address bar (with side effect of opening new tab, which is fine).

So I thought until there will be some proper central place like some sort of wiki for this kind of knowledge sharing, I would start this thread for posting this kind of happy un-obvious findings about working shortcuts in various application. Here we go:

Firefox mobile
  • space
    show next page
  • shift-space
    show previous page
  • ctrl-W
    close current tab
  • ctrl-T
    keyboard focus in address bar (open new tab)
Open camera
  • space or enter
    Take picture
Planet App Bar
  • Alt, then enter
    Open launcher (for those, who've hidden navigation bar)

The Vivaldi browser seems to recognize more shortcuts than Opera or Firefox in Android... (Ctrl-L for instance works)

+Quote Post
spook
post Jan 21 2020, 08:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 824,977

Thanks vldmr - very useful! I'm also loving that the Ecs key goes back in Firefox...

+Quote Post
TomJ
post Jan 22 2020, 05:37 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 862,685

In Opera:
Ctrl-tab toggles through open windows (or open Private windows if the current dsiplay is InPrivate)
Ctrl-n opens a new window
Shift-ctrl-n opens a new private window

+Quote Post
Vistaus
post Jan 22 2020, 11:19 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 850,627

QUOTE(spook @ Jan 22 2020, 05:32 AM) *
Thanks vldmr - very useful! I'm also loving that the Ecs key goes back in Firefox...

Esc goes back throughout the entire system...

+Quote Post
Zarhan
post Feb 15 2020, 06:32 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 850,871

I installed Saka key addon for Firefox. It's great in the sense that it allows for almost completely keyboard-based browsing, except for one thing:

Is there some shortcut to move the focus to URL/Location bar? I cannot find one. CTRL+L or ALT+D doesn't work. Right now I have to always hit on it from touchscreen to be able to type in a link or search term.

+Quote Post
vldmr
post Feb 15 2020, 11:54 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 860,135

QUOTE(Zarhan @ Feb 15 2020, 08:32 AM) *
I installed Saka key addon for Firefox. It's great in the sense that it allows for almost completely keyboard-based browsing, except for one thing:

Is there some shortcut to move the focus to URL/Location bar? I cannot find one. CTRL+L or ALT+D doesn't work. Right now I have to always hit on it from touchscreen to be able to type in a link or search term.

Well, the list of shortcuts for firefox in the first message of this thread does include ctrl-t, with disclaimer that this gets you new tab as well.

+Quote Post
gymbo
post Feb 15 2020, 12:38 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 816,769

QUOTE(vldmr @ Feb 15 2020, 08:54 PM) *
QUOTE(Zarhan @ Feb 15 2020, 08:32 AM) *

Well, the list of shortcuts for firefox in the first message of this thread does include ctrl-t, with disclaimer that this gets you new tab as well.

Well, Opera has a ctrl-t function as well, but doesn't focus the URL/location bar... Oddly Vivaldi doesn't focus on the URL/location bar either when pressing ctrl-t, but has a functioning ctrl-l... (So you need to press ctrl-t and then ctrl-l to be able to do something useful on a new tab in Vivaldi. But you do get to the URL/location bar in the CURRENT tab by simply pressing ctrl-l...)

And as I posted somewhere else on this forum as well: Vivaldi gives you direct access to tab 1-9 (or 10) with ctrl-(1-9/0)...

+Quote Post
Zarhan
post Feb 15 2020, 12:34 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 850,871

QUOTE(vldmr @ Feb 15 2020, 10:54 PM) *

Yes, but what if I don't want to create a new tab...

As a workaround I guess I could create a new tab, type my URL in, navigate to previous tab (Q with Saka by default), and close it with ctrl+w.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th February 2020 - 11:57 AM