OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best charging practice?
gidds
post Jun 26 2018, 01:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 816,386

What's the best way to preserve the Gemini's battery lifetime?

I charge mine overnight; I have a charging cable on my bedside table, and plug it in when I go to bed.  Is it best to use the power adapter supplied with the Gemini, or a standard USB adapter?  The supplied adapter is a fast charger; will that stress the battery more?  (A standard USB adapter charges much more slowly — though fast enough for my usage, as it's always fully charged when I wake.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr Rimmer
post Jun 26 2018, 01:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 815,863

QUOTE(gidds @ Jun 26 2018, 09:09 PM) *
What's the best way to preserve the Gemini's battery lifetime?

I charge mine overnight; I have a charging cable on my bedside table, and plug it in when I go to bed.  Is it best to use the power adapter supplied with the Gemini, or a standard USB adapter?  The supplied adapter is a fast charger; will that stress the battery more?  (A standard USB adapter charges much more slowly — though fast enough for my usage, as it's always fully charged when I wake.)

The best way of charging would be not too fast, and stop at around 80% capacity. When the battery rapid charges, it gets quite hot which isn't healthy, so I use a generic USB charger (1A) which will completely charge over night. If it needs charging during the day I will give it a boost with the fast charger up to about 60%, then swap to a normal charger for the last part.

There is an app called Battery Charge Limit, however it doesn't appear able to stop charging on the Gemini.

+Quote Post
loop
post Jul 1 2018, 03:15 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 824,560

I had a look at the kernel sources and I believe it's not possible to make Battery Charge Limit work without modifications to the kernel. Unfortunately, modifying the charging code can be quite dangerous.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th December 2019 - 01:52 PM