OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RiscOS on Gemini?
speculatrix
post Oct 26 2018, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

Now that RiscOS is open source, I wonder if anyone will try building it for the Gemini?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/23/ri...os_open_source/

I'm not sure that anyone would use it as their primary OS, and you might not get many people trying it, but it's an interesting thing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
salvomic
post Oct 26 2018, 10:27 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 818,107

why not? smile.gif
nice interface and a bit of ...nostalgy.

Salvo

+Quote Post
Dixit
post Oct 26 2018, 12:15 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 824,751

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Oct 26 2018, 08:08 PM) *
Now that RiscOS is open source, I wonder if anyone will try building it for the Gemini?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/23/ri...os_open_source/

I'm not sure that anyone would use it as their primary OS, and you might not get many people trying it, but it's an interesting thing.

Cool !

While we're at it... could some of you tech wizzes also revive another ancient OS running on ARM chips ?
It was called EPOC.

Because then at least we could get the Agenda application back to work again.

+Quote Post
KF6GPE
post Oct 27 2018, 10:18 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 823,299

I used RiscOS as a development workstation for an ARM-based settop box in the late 90's. I remember it as being very fast for its time, although the UI was a little weird. It was at the time where Mac, Windows, and X Windows did things like window sizing and copy/paste just differently enough that if you had to switch between machines, your head hurt. I may still have the workstation out in the garage from the project.

I'm not sure how suited to the Gemini it would be --- it was very mouse-centric and wanted a big screen. Looking at the source code might be fun, though.

+Quote Post
andrewl
post Oct 30 2018, 05:47 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 815,731

RiscOS runs nicely on one core of the Raspberry Pi, it cannot use the other three so it will be lost on the X27's 10 - but RISCOS is quite lightweight enough that it might run in an emulator on a Gemini linux.

Needs a middle mouse button though.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th November 2019 - 12:38 AM