OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hot to touch when charging
teh.sean
post Oct 11 2018, 07:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,673

When charging with the provided charger, the Gemini gets very warm. Is this normal for others? I know the charger negotiates a higher current / voltage (beyond 5V / .5A), but I would figure the heat will damage the battery and reduce its life over time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DJO
post Oct 11 2018, 08:55 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 818,744

QUOTE(teh.sean @ Oct 11 2018, 04:58 PM) *
When charging with the provided charger, the Gemini gets very warm. Is this normal for others? I know the charger negotiates a higher current / voltage (beyond 5V / .5A), but I would figure the heat will damage the battery and reduce its life over time.

Mine gets quite warm but it's warm on the display half not the base with the battery in it so I suspect it's the voltage regulator on the main board that's heating up.

+Quote Post
Eldkatten
post Oct 11 2018, 09:26 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 823,876

Hello,

I wondered the same thing recently, when I charged my Gemini with the original charger, not a regular one as usually. It's not only warm, it's hot, about 39 °C on the outer surface. Even more I got the impression that it is hot all around, not only one half or the other. I don't think this will do especially the battery any good, so I will not use the original charger anymore. I don' need a full recharge within an hour or so, I'm fine to have it charged overnight.

Kind regards

+Quote Post
gidds
post Oct 11 2018, 09:37 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 816,386

I've been using a standard USB charger too, for the same reason.  (Not only is it likely to be kinder to the battery, it's also more convenient: night-time is the only time the Gemini doesn't live in my pocket, so it's very easy to plug it in when I put it on my bedside table for the night.)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th November 2019 - 04:32 PM