OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rooting the Cosmo Communicator
wapsi
post Mar 26 2020, 07:20 AM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 864,647

I'm using Ninji's images which I flashed by using SP Flash Tool. It would be really nice if someone could upload the new boot (Magisk patch installed) and system images to somewhere again. Otherwise I don't know how to flash the update because the installation by using the official flashing tool fails. I don't know if the OTA zip file is flashable via fastboot?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cam1965
post Mar 26 2020, 08:39 AM
Post #122

Member No.: 848,911

QUOTE(Zarhan @ Mar 26 2020, 06:56 AM) *
QUOTE(cam1965 @ Mar 26 2020, 05:13 PM) *
There is a new version of firmware today ( ota update ) . I've rooted android the unnoficial way following the steps in this forum. But this firmware update from Planet didn't install ( error ). Can someoone help ? Thank you.

You need to unroot your device first, obviously. I haven't tested the process myself, but you need to essentially install the original boot image via fastboot. Then boot, patch, and re-root (you need to create a new rooted image or wait for someone to publish one here).

OK. Thank you . I will try.

+Quote Post
Zarhan
post Mar 26 2020, 09:00 AM
Post #123

Member No.: 850,871

Just did the OTA upgrade myself. Process as documented in my earlier post - just "fastboot flash boot boot_orig.img" and then patch as normal.

To get back root, you need to use sp_flashtool to grab the image off it, then use magisk manager to re-patch that image, and then flash it using fastboot again. I haven't done this yet.

+Quote Post
PNuT
post Mar 26 2020, 10:32 AM
Post #124

Member No.: 860,784

QUOTE(Zarhan @ Mar 26 2020, 05:00 PM) *
To get back root, you need to use sp_flashtool to grab the image off it, then use magisk manager to re-patch that image, and then flash it using fastboot again. I haven't done this yet.

I just selected the rooted android version in the boot menu & it appears to be rooted and working as it should smile.gif

+Quote Post
mibry
post Mar 26 2020, 02:34 PM
Post #125

Member No.: 822,788

QUOTE(mibry @ Mar 26 2020, 03:03 PM) *
I was wondering if someone could help me. I was trying to be smart by deleting google system files off my cosmo. When I try to apply the v20 patch it fails. I have downloaded the system dump files from post 83 and when I try to restore my cosmo from the scatter files it is missing some files. So far I have been able to resolve some of the error I am getting but I have hit a road block. I seem to be missing the bin files for scp1, scp2, lk, lk2, logo, tee1, tee2, cache and userdata. If I am able to restore without these file please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Mibry

Reply to my own post. I was able to fix my problem by using fastboot to restore the system.img file from the dump that was done by Ninji. Thanks for the dumped files.

+Quote Post
wapsi
post Mar 27 2020, 03:28 AM
Post #126

Member No.: 864,647

QUOTE(wapsi @ Mar 26 2020, 07:20 PM) *
I'm using Ninji's images which I flashed by using SP Flash Tool. It would be really nice if someone could upload the new boot (Magisk patch installed) and system images to somewhere again. Otherwise I don't know how to flash the update because the installation by using the official flashing tool fails. I don't know if the OTA zip file is flashable via fastboot?

Replying to my post: I was able to update from rooted V19 to V20 by re-flashing Ninji's V19 images and original (unrooted) boot img using SP Flash Tool. Then I did the upgrade manually by putting OTA.zip into phone's storage root and flashing it by using PlanetCom's update tool in Android (accessible via Settings). Upgrade was OK now. After that I re-flashed the rooted boot img provided by PlanetCom.

+Quote Post
cam1965
post Mar 27 2020, 08:48 AM
Post #127

Member No.: 848,911

QUOTE(cam1965 @ Mar 26 2020, 08:39 AM) *
QUOTE(Zarhan @ Mar 26 2020, 06:56 AM) *
QUOTE(cam1965 @ Mar 26 2020, 05:13 PM) *
There is a new version of firmware today ( ota update ) . I've rooted android the unnoficial way following the steps in this forum. But this firmware update from Planet didn't install ( error ). Can someoone help ? Thank you.

You need to unroot your device first, obviously. I haven't tested the process myself, but you need to essentially install the original boot image via fastboot. Then boot, patch, and re-root (you need to create a new rooted image or wait for someone to publish one here).

OK. Thank you . I will try.

Installed the original image. Updated the firmware. Did a boot in Debian and extracted the android boot image.Copied it to a folder in android. Did a boot in android and patched it with magisk. Copied the image to my computer and did a fastboot to flash the new patched image from magisk. Worked !

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th April 2020 - 07:14 PM